Edge Zero replacement options. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Edge Zero replacement options.

I dislike my Edge Zero and I am going to replace it with either an edge or an Edge Pro. I have a couple questions.

I don't have and have never had an edge, But I have an EZ an EP and an LP7 so I dont have any measurements for the edge rout. And have no idea about playability, especially palm comfort.

Does anyone know which through rout is bigger ? the Edge or EP. I know I am going to have to remove some wood I would like to do it for the largest.

The stud spacing is different by 5mm than the EZ, but appear to be the same on the other 2 does anyone have an edge that can confirm 74mm spacing.

Finally any advantages of one over the other, I have seen lots of preference for the edge here but not much as to why.

Oh if anyone could comment on how the edge feels for palm muting I'd appreciate it. I like the EP and dislike the EZ

Thanx for your time

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Re: Edge Zero replacement options.

My '91 Rg750 has an Edge Bridge. Its great, 18 years old and never had a problem with the guitar. Never goes out of tune (once the strings have been broken in and stretched out). Cant compare it to an EP. But I'm sure someone else in here will be able to help out.
What is it you dont like about the EdgeZero? Is it just comfort during palm muting? Cause you'll probably get used to it in no time.
I just got a 2008 j custom and it has an EdgeZero. I was surprised with all the really negative reviews on this bridge. Some say it goes out of tune, or they dont like the fine tuners, or it looks cheap. I only got this guitar 4 days ago, but I cant say that i've been having problems with going out of tune, sharp or flat after whammy use. And I really abuse the whammy bar. As for the fine tuners they're so so, i kinda like the fact that they dont turn easily. But I find they are sensitive once you turn them. And My opinion The EZ doesn't look cheap. I'm not sure about how the cosmo black hardware will ware though. The one thing that i like about this bridge is that if you bend a string and hold the bend and hit another string it doesnt go flat -with the other floyds I would always have to adjust these kinds of licks with bending the strings so as not to sound of.
I have to admit that i had ordered my j custom about a month ago, and started reading all these negative comments about the EZ. Man i was preparing myself for the worst. But thankfully I am happy with it.
Jimmy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't think there is any trem that will be a direct fit. May have a bit of work to fit.

If the cavity is big enough to fit an Edge or Edge Pro you could always pull the studs, fill the holes with dowel and reinstall the studs at the correct spacing for the new trem.

If the trem doesn't fit in the cavity you might need to dremmel out the cavity a bit to make the new trem fit.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Vendor

I looked at trying to fit one last night when I had an EZ out, but you have to pull the ZPS to even get close to an idea if it will or not, the EP block will not fit between the rails, otherwise it looked like it just might shoehorn.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Jimmy:

From an earlier post, this is what I dislike about the Z

1) The ZPS thing kinda sucks. It makes the trem super heavy and sometimes
doesnt return to zero. But easy enough to fix - Pull the bar out.
2) Fine tuners are AWFUL. No more needs said
3) When you take a string off the saddle piece rattles like death and feels like a piece tin. I dont think this is causing problems(yet), but anyting loose on anything vibrating is asking for trouble
4) With the ZPS out the Bridge actually works OK
5) I like the adjustment knob on the spring claw. I know I probably shouldn't do it but if the whole gtr is a bit flat or sharp (due to temp etc) I will kinda gross tune the whole gtr with the adjuster. I've marked the positions tho so I can reset it when I have more time to keep the trem angle proper .
6) The intonation tool works as it should. - Nice
7) I am concerned with the lack of Mass in the bridge. I will know more when I get the EP fitted gtr. Dont they call the bit that the springs hook into a "sustain Block" ? Why is it so small on the EZ ?
Used to be you could have 2 /3 / 4 springs and control the tension, how can you do that with the EZ?.

And the killer in my mind ,which just reared its ugly head-

On some notes there is this wierd effect which manifests itself in 2 different forms.
1) The note - without vibrato - will seem to rise to the harmonic.
or
2) The note will ring for a very short while - like 200 milliseconds then choke to nothing.

Here are the details

1)The guitar is new and the frets were very well dressed (Thanx Rich)- I have a Stewmac Fret rocker and there are NO high or low frets.
2) First time it was the higher D on the B string, second time was the higher C on the G string. Too high up the neck to be relief problem
3) Raising action to 2.5 mm did not help
4) To fix the problem I take my pick and jam it between the saddles and give it a little twist TADA problem solved. I tried tightening intonation screws - they are plenty tight.

The palm muting thing is actually trivial, I just want to know.

Scott
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I looked at trying to fit one last night when I had an EZ out, but you have to pull the ZPS to even get close to an idea if it will or not, the EP block will not fit between the rails, otherwise it looked like it just might shoehorn.
When I get my neck pickup I'm going to dissemble both guitars (RG1570 RGT320)side by side and pull the ZPS frame from the RGT and take some measurements from both bodies. I'm sure the top rout is OK - You could keep a spares kit in the gap in the rear.

I'm leaning toward the EP - Same spares. I'll email you when I make up my mind.

Cheers
Scott
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM

The reason I'm posting this is cause I found especially interesting the part where Herman Lee switched his EZ on his sig. model to an EP Bridge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydJ8...eature=related
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM

If you watch throughout the whole video.. you can see that he has more than one E-Gen. The actual signature and the mule they tested everything on..

Although you don't really notice/see him switching guitars, halfway through talking about his guitars he switches them.

When he first starts to describe the guitar he shows you that he had it modified to fit the Edge Pro. (2:51)

however, there is a section where the video has a transition (around 4 minutes)

After this, he has his regular signature guitar with Edge Zero. You can see the basic shape of the EZ. But the part that made me notice it was at 4:50. You can clearly see the intonation tool that only come on the ZR/EZ bridge.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Vendor

There are both, but he did clearly say had it modified for the EP and you can see from the back rout it was an EZ rout that was modified.

It's no secret Ibanez is in love with the EZ and they are "suggesting" it's use to endorcees for promotional purposes.

Tags
edge bridge , edge pro , edge zero , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode