Edge Zero Thoughts... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 23
Post Edge Zero Thoughts...

Hello everyone, a few months ago I got an RG2550EGK which has the Edge Pro and the fretboard dot inlays, but before I did, I checked the Ibanez website and saw the Edge Zero bridge. While it has the ZPS and the thumbscrew spring tension adjuster, I was scared of how it didn't look much like its older (and more popular) brothers, the Edge, LoPro and Edge Pro. The very appearance of it looked very alien to me, and because of this fear, I specifically told the guitar shop to give me an Edge Pro version of the 2550.

Just now, I told myself to give the little sucker a chance and try to research more about the Zero. I found out that it was no longer made in Japan, but I looked in Mr. Rich Harris' site and saw a few pictures of it close-up. It seemed that its knife edges are identical to the Edge Pro's knife edges, which made me feel bad about jumping into conclusions about it being an inferior trem and all that.

But the biggest reason that I don't like the Edge Zero is its lack of "sexiness" compared to the other trems. In fact, I even find the lowly Edge III to be much more visually appealing. I don't despise the Edge Zero, it has a lot of features most Ibanez users have been asking for (such as the return of the locking studs), but I don't really think that it would completely satisfy me if I got it. To the Edge Zero users, may you have the best of luck with your chosen machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

Re: Edge Zero Thoughts...

the edge zero on my rg2550z is ok.dont know what all the fuss is about stays in tune ok,no issues with mine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
...the biggest reason that I don't like the Edge Zero is its lack of "sexiness"...
jeez... and i thought i was a nerd...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
the edge zero on my rg2550z is ok.dont know what all the fuss is about stays in tune ok,no issues with mine.

+1
Same here, I was scared ****less in the begining with all the horrid reviews and i spent $2000 on my j custom. No issues so far except for the fine tuners, they're low quality period.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
jeez... and i thought i was a nerd...
"Nerd? You think I'm nerd? YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT NERD IS!!!"

You only get to call yourself a nerd if you know what word I substituted 'nerd' for in the above sentence, and what series the resulting quote is from.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM

even though there's be a little hole there, and you'd probably lose the thing, I think unscrewing the intonation tool and leaving it somewhere improves the look of it 10 fold.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 AM

I've had 'zero' problems with mine. In fact I really like it. The fine tuners aren't the best but over all it's working out great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Vendor

Took a 3520 that was miserably returning from pullup to HUSA yesterday and sat down with Mak to go over it. Figured it out. It was the last thing I though of before I went to bed night before, but the meeting was already in motion so I never got around to trying it till I got there.

It was the upgrade studs. While nothing gives a better free float return, with the ZPS in at that very positive angle, something about those studs does not like either the bar or the setup angle. They're made for perpendicular setup which might have everything to do with it. Who would have figured the the improvement was the problem.

End result we started talking about a possible ZPS4 / EZ2 design where the angle using the ZPS is dead flat like you would set it up free floating. It would make it far more lower profile, and allow ZPS in, ZPS out changes without the major setup change you have with the current design. He was going to run in by HGC.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:49 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
Hello everyone, a few months ago I got an RG2550EGK which has the Edge Pro and the fretboard dot inlays, but before I did, I checked the Ibanez website and saw the Edge Zero bridge. While it has the ZPS and the thumbscrew spring tension adjuster, I was scared of how it didn't look much like its older (and more popular) brothers, the Edge, LoPro and Edge Pro. The very appearance of it looked very alien to me, and because of this fear, I specifically told the guitar shop to give me an Edge Pro version of the 2550.

Just now, I told myself to give the little sucker a chance and try to research more about the Zero. I found out that it was no longer made in Japan, but I looked in Mr. Rich Harris' site and saw a few pictures of it close-up. It seemed that its knife edges are identical to the Edge Pro's knife edges, which made me feel bad about jumping into conclusions about it being an inferior trem and all that.

But the biggest reason that I don't like the Edge Zero is its lack of "sexiness" compared to the other trems. In fact, I even find the lowly Edge III to be much more visually appealing. I don't despise the Edge Zero, it has a lot of features most Ibanez users have been asking for (such as the return of the locking studs), but I don't really think that it would completely satisfy me if I got it. To the Edge Zero users, may you have the best of luck with your chosen machines.
Err.. "Sexiness" wise the edge pro trumps all, followed by the edge 3 and the black/pc ez on the s520 then the edge and all the other horrible looking OFR style trems IMO.

Tags
appeal , edge , edge pro , edge zero , lopro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode