Educate me on the S2170SE - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Educate me on the S2170SE

Hi,
Not only am I new here but I am new to Ibanez. I have played LP's only. I am looking to expand my horizons. I walked into a local mom and pop store today. There I found a Ibanez S2170SE Ebony Swirl. Its brand new. But from what little info I can find on this guitar its a 2009 model that is no longer made.
This is a beautiful guitar and I like the way it feels. They are wanting $1124 out the door. Is this a fair price? Tell me everything you can about this model. Please.

Thank you
Richard
longfxukxnhair is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

WOW!!!! 43 views and not one word on this guitar. I thought this would be the place to ask. I guess I was wrong. Either that or there is nothing good to say about this guitar.
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

I owned an S2170FW a year back....These are Korean made Prestiges. I liked mine a lot except the sustain was not as good at the top of the neck as an old S540....I gues I was trying to compare two totally different guitars......dumb.....

I eventually took it back and recently got a 91 s540LTD and thats where it at.....

I guess my point is, try it. You may like it....its a guitar, its all preferance. I find ugly chicks hot.....see what I mean...
py36 is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
I owned an S2170FW a year back....These are Korean made Prestiges. I liked mine a lot except the sustain was not as good at the top of the neck as an old S540....I gues I was trying to compare two totally different guitars......dumb.....

I eventually took it back and recently got a 91 s540LTD and thats where it at.....

I guess my point is, try it. You may like it....its a guitar, its all preferance. I find ugly chicks hot.....see what I mean...
Thanks Py.

Someones gotta dig the ugly chicks
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich/Boston
Posts: 308
Reviews: 10
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

I owned a S2170FW with a wonderful burl poplar top.

The guitar had surprisingly nice fretwork and wood compositions. I recall that mine had a very resonant acoustic tone and was nice to play.

The neck is a Wizard II but of the slightly beefier kind, Its comfy but put a lot of people off who are used to thinner Wizard necks, but thats personal preference. Overall the guitar is like a more "massive" original Saber and not exacty a contemporary copy of the original S540.

The pickups are also pretty descent, especially the neck pickup. Its a rather medium output kinda deal.

The fretboard has a 400mm radius while the trem is 430mm. Shims can adjust the radius though, but its more difficult to set up for ridiculously low action compared to older S models.

The trem ia fun, its very spongy and responsive, easy to maintain and sturdy. There are some issues with the trem arm holder, there is a little bushing that frequently tilted and made fixing the arm inefficient. But its an easy fix.

Some 2170 come with a first version of the ZR trem cavity backplate. What can happen if you set the action low is that the sustain/spring attachement block or the trem springs themselves slightly scrape on the plate from the inside. Makes a weird noise and gives tremolo resistance. I had ordered the newer version of the backplate which has a bigger cut window in the back that gives more clearance for the springs and the block. So thats an easy fix.

So overall an ok guitar. The key issues are that despite it being a decent guitar, its not quite a Prestige. The Made in Korea thing might play into this, but for example the back of the neck finish is not on par with regular Prestiges. Sure it comes with the fancy case, but overall I just feel the they are way overpriced for what the S2170ies are.

Dont pay more than 800 bucks for it even new, they go used fairly cheaply. The swirl ebony is enticing, sure, but its just a fancy veneer. You can get much more guitar for that money when you go used. I sold mine and got a '93 S540 for 500 bucks.
cm_17 is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
I owned a S2170FW with a wonderful burl poplar top.

The guitar had surprisingly nice fretwork and wood compositions. I recall that mine had a very resonant acoustic tone and was nice to play.

The neck is a Wizard II but of the slightly beefier kind, Its comfy but put a lot of people off who are used to thinner Wizard necks, but thats personal preference. Overall the guitar is like a more "massive" original Saber and not exacty a contemporary copy of the original S540.

The pickups are also pretty descent, especially the neck pickup. Its a rather medium output kinda deal.

The fretboard has a 400mm radius while the trem is 430mm. Shims can adjust the radius though, but its more difficult to set up for ridiculously low action compared to older S models.

The trem ia fun, its very spongy and responsive, easy to maintain and sturdy. There are some issues with the trem arm holder, there is a little bushing that frequently tilted and made fixing the arm inefficient. But its an easy fix.

Some 2170 come with a first version of the ZR trem cavity backplate. What can happen if you set the action low is that the sustain/spring attachement block or the trem springs themselves slightly scrape on the plate from the inside. Makes a weird noise and gives tremolo resistance. I had ordered the newer version of the backplate which has a bigger cut window in the back that gives more clearance for the springs and the block. So thats an easy fix.

So overall an ok guitar. The key issues are that despite it being a decent guitar, its not quite a Prestige. The Made in Korea thing might play into this, but for example the back of the neck finish is not on par with regular Prestiges. Sure it comes with the fancy case, but overall I just feel the they are way overpriced for what the S2170ies are.

Dont pay more than 800 bucks for it even new, they go used fairly cheaply. The swirl ebony is enticing, sure, but its just a fancy veneer. You can get much more guitar for that money when you go used. I sold mine and got a '93 S540 for 500 bucks.

Thank you for a great reply. I am picking one up for $719 total. That includes shipping
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich/Boston
Posts: 308
Reviews: 10
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Hope you'll like it, post some pix once you get it. Also, I'd suggest you take the ZR retainer bar out, it's not doing much and messes with tuning stability.
cm_17 is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Thats a fair price......congrats!
py36 is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfxukxnhair View Post
WOW!!!! 43 views and not one word on this guitar. I thought this would be the place to ask. I guess I was wrong. Either that or there is nothing good to say about this guitar.
Not everyone owns, or has played an S2170SE---patience young padawan.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
Hope you'll like it, post some pix once you get it. Also, I'd suggest you take the ZR retainer bar out, it's not doing much and messes with tuning stability.
Will do!

Is that retainer bar ez to see? Will I know what it is looking at it. Im a LP player so trems are new to me.
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Not everyone owns, or has played an S2170SE---patience young padawan.
Patience is not my strong point. But I know this is the place to be for info on Ibanez. I was just surprised it had that many views and not one reply (at time of my second posting).
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
Thats a fair price......congrats!
Thanks! I am excited about this guitar.
longfxukxnhair is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Since this is your first trem (maybe first in a while also) please go to the Ibanez Rules website banner at the top and proceed to the tech section. Take your time on getting familiar with setting up the trem. It is VERY different than what you have now.

To me trem angle is very important!!! Its not as bad as it sounds but do yourself the favor and go through it. Following Rich's instructions can make an average player in to an amazing one......
py36 is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
Since this is your first trem (maybe first in a while also) please go to the Ibanez Rules website banner at the top and proceed to the tech section. Take your time on getting familiar with setting up the trem. It is VERY different than what you have now.

To me trem angle is very important!!! Its not as bad as it sounds but do yourself the favor and go through it. Following Rich's instructions can make an average player in to an amazing one......
I second this!!

It's funny though. I'm currently looking for a Fugi made LP to fill out my "collection" (I'm not a collector, most of my guitars are hacked up misfits)

moving to a trem equipped guitar can be frustrating, but if you arm yourself with the info on Rich's site ( Ibanezrules.com ) you'll be in far better shape a lot faster!! You can always PM Rich here too if you need.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: az
Posts: 22
Re: Educate me on the S2170SE

Thx Py & RGT
I think I will do as you suggest.
longfxukxnhair is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please educate me Q247 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 12 11-23-2011 06:14 PM
Please educate a recording noob.. cool_no9 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 2 06-08-2006 03:41 AM
wireless internet, please educate me on this SilverSurfer2 Off-topic / Miscellaneous 4 08-25-2005 11:31 PM
saddles not aligned - educate me yurich Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 13 01-04-2002 03:52 PM
Rack Wah. - Please educate me. bob oakman Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 10 01-04-2002 05:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome