Edwards guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Edwards guitars

Are they a spin off to ESP?

like ltd in USA

they look really good and better priced

anyone buy one from japan and if so how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 AM

Re: Edwards guitars

They're kind of like spin-offs, but are made in Japan. They are made at the ESP factory on the assembly lines, since the Standard series are considered higher in range compared to its US counterparts. The quality is as good or better than a Prestige IMO. I've got a Horizon model that I bought from Ishibashi and it's wonderful. Though I'm kind of dissapointed with the use of veneer instead of real maple, but you get what you pay for!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

how did you buy yours?

I got one from evilbay once but I was in debt so I sold it

I am staying away from the evilbay as I got ripped off there but thanks to paypal I was ok
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Sorry to hear bout that. I got mine off the Ishibashi U-shop. You can find amazing deals there. I did. They were polite, prompt, and patient with my first time buying with them heh.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM

It dependes entirely on the guitar. I had an Edwards LP for a while, and it was an average instrument. Definitely not a keeper, and definitely not on par with an Ibanez Prestige. Now, I might have a higher opinion of Edwards if I hadn't gotten an LP to begin with but I wan't terribly impressed; certainly not impressed enough to buy another one.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM

I played a few Edwards in my life time I live down the stree form BIG BOSS ESP. I think the shredder guitars are great for the price as are the LP and Strat copies. I think they are comparable to Prestige Ibanez gutiars. If I were buying a guitar today I would but them in a comparison pot with prestige Ibbies and Jackson stars (Japanese made Jacksons although the brands are now unrelated). Since all of those are directly in my price range. I can't buy anything thats over $1500 or so.

I'd have to disagree with Jim777 on this one, I think their LPs are better than average for the price range. But, preferance is preferance.

Last edited by kotornut; 03-18-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: weird senteces
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM

As far as LPs go, you could get a Heritage for the price of the Edwards, and the Heritage is simply a better instrument. I do hear lots of good things about Edwards guitars, but I haven't personally experienced any of the "good ones" yet.

And you can just call me jim
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
As far as LPs go, you could get a Heritage for the price of the Edwards, and the Heritage is simply a better instrument. I do hear lots of good things about Edwards guitars, but I haven't personally experienced any of the "good ones" yet.

And you can just call me jim

Never played a Heratige, but I'm not a LP fan. The body is too small for me I have big shoulders so I have to hunch over too much when sitting down.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
As far as LPs go, you could get a Heritage for the price of the Edwards
Not trying to be confrontational.... but,,,,,,,Where?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 AM

They are good guitars, especially for the price. The rather nice thing is that they actually produce some unique model configurations that ESP doesn't.

One rather amusing thing is that Edwards put out a Ritchie Blackmore signature Stratocaster copy that was more accurate then the Fender Custom Shop version which cost 4-5x more money.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I am having a hard time trying to browse through the ishibashi site

Are there any other dealers or sites that sell edwards
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping_...cate=1&state=1

scroll down when you get here and look through all the brands.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeslinger View Post
Not trying to be confrontational.... but,,,,,,,Where?

You can usually get a used H-150 on the auction site for the price of a new Edwards.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Edwards guitars

Hi guys

I have a NON LP Edwards guitar (as a unusual thing), the ECY165CTM. I have around 20 guitars more from different brands (Kramer, Music Man, Peavey, Suhr, ESP etc...) and I got lot of experience from my 25 years of playing, and I must tell that the Edwards is one of my fav guitars (and practically all my guitars are choosen for the best quality of sound and craft... I take special care in that). Also I have the chance to compare a ESP George Lynch Custom Serpent I also own (the celtic black and white model) with the Edwards in all aspects and lot of people can say what they want about that is not an ESP but you can be sure that this guitar it cost 1500$ (half of this kind of ESP) and I test every aspect of guitar (body, woods, pickups,sound, sustain,versatility, bridge, neck and finishes) and I can afirm than between the two guitars I will choose the Edwards.

Here are the specs of Edwards:

- Natural finish neck ala Gibson Zack Wylde
- Neckthru construction body
- Ebony fingerboard with inlays ala Jem (for me a little overfinished board but excellent made).
- 27 frets (I think cool but unnecessary at the end)
- Mahogany body with a quilted maple top
- Seymour Duncan pickups
- Original Floyd Rose bridge
- Gotoh tuners
- White binding on neck, headstock and body.

The main thing that you realize when holding guitar is that weights a lot more than any Ibanez or superstrat guitar. Of course the mahogany body and neckthru made a quite heavy and very solid guitar. Guitar about this thing has a lot of sustain and the sound is FAT and powerfull.. full of harmonics on the clean (it sounds like a piano) and definately screams on the gain. Pickups and the 3 way switch made the guitar not the most versatile but the warn notes in all channels and the tone knob made wonders so you can reach different styles without no problem. The neck is a little bigger than ESP G.L. but is really comfortable to play about the finish and the ebony board is smooth. The inlays on board are really well made of abalone and mother of pearl but in my opinion is too much decoration (I´d prefer a regular point marks) but that´s the way it comes. 27 frets in my opinion unnecessary but... it´s funny to made an harmonic on the last frets...and then use trem or a Digitech Whammy II as I do. The bridge all you know Originals floyds, one of the betters if not the best. The construction in the guitar is amazing, there are no deffects in any part of binding, inlay or any place. Guitar also looks amazing in the sunburst finish. Very similar to the ESP I told you but with a more powerfull sound on bridge pickup, better clan tones and more sustain, even when the G.L. ESP guitar is also a good piece. To say the truth I prefer the neck profile of the ESP but this could be the only bad point.

Good points:

- Amazing clean sound
- Very crunch rythym and screaming solos
- Miles of sustain
- Smooth neck and very comfortable
- Superb finish in all aspects

Bad points:
- Weight a ton, you have almost a LP guitar in a superstrat body shape. Not a bad point this for me.
- 27 frets unnecessary
- Inlay on fingerboard a little overdecorated

My top five list of the guitars I have, in no particular order, well sorry there are 6, very hard to choose only 5... well I add my JPM, so my 7 top list hahaha:

- Ibanez RBM Voyager
- Kramer Nightswan
- Suhr Koa Reb Beach
- Ibanez USRG30
- Gibson Les Paul Custom 1980
- Edwards ECY165CTM
- Ibanez JPM100

Here some pics for ya:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp...cy165ctmhs.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/DSCN0164.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/DSCN0166.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/DSCN0167.jpg

And here you have the Edwards site:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

CheersĦĦĦ

Javier

PS: No..I´m not endorsee of Edwards guitars...for the moment..hehehe..
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 PM

cool guitar!

Last edited by DaniJem; 04-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Tags
body shape , bridge pickup , custom shop , digitech whammy , duncan pickups , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , edwards guitars , fender custom shop , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gotoh tuners , ibanez jpm , ibanez rbm , les paul , les paul custom , mahogany body , quilted maple , ritchie blackmore , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , signature strat , signature stratocaster , strat body , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode