Effect of hardware finish on sound - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Effect of hardware finish on sound

Is there any effect (intentional or otherwise) on the sound that different colour hardware has? Like, would a bridge with black painted hardware have less sustain compared to a plain chrome bridge?

I noticed ESP/LTD have made it so most of their standard run guitars have chrome instead of black hardware, perhaps that was the reason, or was it to do with the consumption of time caused by acquiring black hardware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Re: Effect of hardware finish on sound

Cheaper in bulk?

Black plating is basically the same as gold or chrome, so it shouldn't have any effect, I've never noticed, anyway. Even my bridges with Cosmo wearing off them seem to not really be affected by the plating loss. My thoughts anyway...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Well, let me clarify that point. I meant to say that black is plated on the same as chrome or gold. There really aren't any "plain chrome" bridges, there is still a coating on the chrome bridges.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 18

There isn't a difference in sound sustain wise. You could have a blue trem for all purposes intended and it would still sound the same.

Jimmy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM

I have heard a number of people who work in or with the Jackson Custom Shop say that the chrome saddles on OFRs sound brighter than the black ones. I haven't played enough guitars back to back to back to say one way or the other, but that's what I've heard. I don't recall offhand if they meant unplugged or not, but I would assume they meant unplugged.

jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I have heard a number of people who work in or with the Jackson Custom Shop say that the chrome saddles on OFRs sound brighter than the black ones. I haven't played enough guitars back to back to back to say one way or the other, but that's what I've heard. I don't recall offhand if they meant unplugged or not, but I would assume they meant unplugged.

jim
That's what I suspected. Something seems brighter about my RG321 compared to my RG7321 and I'm using the same brand and gauge of strings on both (plus the low B on the 7 obviously).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 PM

I would chalk it up to the composition of the metal used as opposed to the plating. The original floyds are hit and miss tonally neways, so thats completely beyond the point.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Suspended

Hardware colour? Effect on sound? Seriously? I wouldn't have thought so.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM

It may be that the "chrome" saddles are actually just shiny stainless steel (as sniper mentioned), and the other ones are painted or plated and the painting/plating has an effect. There was a semi-recent thread on the JCF where someone stated the chrome saddles seemed to sound brighter, and after a few folks started joking with him Mike Learn and others from Jackson chimed in that they had all noticed the same thing. So it isn't necessarily color, but there appears to be a difference in sound between the different colored saddles on OFRs. It might not be the case for Ibanez, or Wilkinson, or Fender or anyone else. And I don't know if ESP made a decision (as in the original post) due to sound or cost or anything else for that matter.
You never know with these sorts of things. Evidently, wavy frets are a good thing too
j/k

Tags
custom shop , jackson custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode