EGEN18 - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Re: EGEN18

I can see where people would want a nice 24 fret S. That being said purple and gold and a grip cut into the top horn and a $2200 price tag make the official Cid rating for the guitar two enthusiastic thumbs down.

How's that kotor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
The whole guitar has to go.

On a serious note, I just can't justify the price point. I could see maybe $1200 (I still wouldn't want it), but $2200 is ridiculous.
I agree.

Although I think it's a pretty nice looking guitar. I don't want an S at all however. I love RGs and alwyas will.
post #18 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 PM

I can't stand those damn pickup rings, especially the neck pickup with those two extra frets. It just looks like poor planning.
post #19 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM

I can't believe the thread got this far without being called "Everything you know about 24 fret S-series guitars is wrong".

Edit: apparently everything I know about spelling "guitars" is wrong.
post #20 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Everything we know about guitar pricing is wrong.
post #21 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Knock the price down and take the grip out and I think it is a pretty cool guitar.

Offered in more colors than purple, even better.
post #22 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Knock the price down and take the grip out and I think it is a pretty cool guitar.

Offered in more colors than purple, even better.
Yeah but then you just end up with a 24 fret S series. Its his signature, so it doesn`t matter what you think. What does matter is that some people appreciate it, i personally think it`s wicked. I love dark purple stains with gold, a lot of people don`t. So just play your RG and S series, this came as an addition to the S series, not so much a part of it. Just like the Jem just isn`t the same as an RG.
post #23 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Yeah but then you just end up with a 24 fret S series. Its his signature, so it doesn`t matter what you think. What does matter is that some people appreciate it, i personally think it`s wicked. I love dark purple stains with gold, a lot of people don`t. So just play your RG and S series, this came as an addition to the S series, not so much a part of it. Just like the Jem just isn`t the same as an RG.
Thanks for your rude input. Like I said in the beginning, I like it, and there are other configurations I would like just as well, if not more.

Maybe search some other threads where I have responded about this guitar.
post #24 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM

This has "Special" Herman Li model pickups right?
post #25 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 PM

the list price of this guitar (as listed on ibanezrules) is about 67 dollars more than a jem. regardless of how you feel about it cosmetically or socially (there are plenty of people on jemsite who'd dislike it because it's connected to dragonforce), i myself can see at least 5 things that would add up to that fairly modest price hike. while i personally wouldn't rush out and buy it, i feel that it's every bit as deserving of a ridiculously high price tag as a jem.
post #26 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Just think of all the other guitars you could get for that price . . .
post #27 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Just think of all the other guitars you could get for that price . . .
aaa...aaaa....AAAAA(j-custom)CHOOOO.

excuse me...

rich
post #28 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Thanks for your rude input. Like I said in the beginning, I like it, and there are other configurations I would like just as well, if not more.

Maybe search some other threads where I have responded about this guitar.

What? Why search ? I don`t see what`s so rude about what i said. You know, it`s possible for me to have a different point of view and relate it to what you wrote without having anything to do with rudeness. I am glad you have a strong opinion about it, and while i`d love to hear your thoughts, i am not gonna search your posts for it lol. I think it`s nice to have a signature series based off the S and this one is unique and tasty all at once. Maybe i just have the same tastes in guitars as Herman does, but either way i am digging this axe!
post #29 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 AM

I'm not going to bash pricing here, it is what it is. I am suprised but not shocked.

It seems like a cool axe, just not for me but still cool in its own way. I said it before, "how long until we start to see home cut kung fu grips on S series guitar like we see monkey grips on RG's?".

Answer: "Not long".

Congrats for Herman to have arrived to a point where he gets his own sig axe

~Bones
post #30 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 AM

I like the EGEN a lot, I think it is a cool new guitar with a lot of good features. I think the grip is cool personally, and the whole 24 fret S prestige in general is pretty badarse. It is also cool that it has new sig pickups and I think the trem is specially designed for this model.

What I don't like about it is the purple stain and gold hardware. I think it would be cool in a black stain and powder cosmo harware, but that is just me. I also don't like the pickups rings, and think that direct mounted pickups would be better.

But, it is the first year of this model, maybe next year it will come in more combinations, but overall I think it is great model and one of the best axes offered by Ibanez this year.

If it was black stain with cosmo, or powder cosmo hardware, I think ti would be one of the coolest guitars Ibanez ever made. I still think it is one of the cooler ones, just not tweaked completely to my personal tastes. But Herman Li sure has one hell of an axe this year, no doubt.

Tags
cosmo hardware , direct mount pickups , direct mounted pickups , edge trem , edge zero , eric johnson , eric johnson jazz , ibanez catalog , monkey grip , mount pickups , mounted pickups , neck pickup , pickup ring , pickup rings , pickup switch , pickup switching , sam totman , scalloped frets , shawn lane , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

EGEN18 cost?
rare egen18 ibanez black hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode