EGEN18 - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Dee

Re: EGEN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I do know people who would and have done it. I don't agree but there are people who do it.

And Shawn Lane makes me yawn. Most boring guitarist I ever heard.
One day, when you remove yourself from the "Steve Vai Phase", maybe you'll be ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Yes, but they arent good for a shred tone. Also you can not use them for Jazz, country, metal and blues.
What are they, Evolution's?
post #48 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Bluegrass?
Chicken Picken'...
post #49 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
One day, when you remove yourself from the "Steve Vai Phase", maybe you'll be ready.
There`s a reason people like Steve Vai, and it has little to do with popularity, especially since he`s an underrated name as much as the next guy in the shadow of hip hop and mtv. I personally didn`t like Shawn Lanes`work as much as Steve`s. I listen to a lot of Vai, something about his music just transcends me into a different world. Great way for me to stop thinking, and i get to the point where thinking too much makes my ears bleed. His music is like a journey in a world full of colors represented in tones and notes, it`s an experience more than just instruments lined up to make noise. I can`t honestly tell you Shawn was a bad player, in fact he had a lot of unique abilities which scored him place in the Godly shredders hall of fame, but regardless of how much you like him, don`t go and start making it seem like Steve`s the boyband of the shredder`s union. People like him with every bit his music is worth to them. I can`t say i ever spent more than ten minutes listening to Shawn Lane. Talented, perhaps, but his music never moved me at all. I wouldn`t pay to see him, even now that he`s dead.

Herman Li is an excellent player and a showman all at the same. I`ve seen DF 3 times now. Although a lot of their earlier work and in betweeners are alright, i really dig CTE and really more on an instrumental level than the lyrics, because they are cheesy. However, they can be classified as good cheese, like Swiss. what i like the most about Herman Li is that he`s the new guy on the block. A guitarist everyone can say contributed to the spectrum of techniques that can be applied to the guitar. Who was the last guy to reinvent the wheel or at least think outside the box. It was refreshing to me, especially after a few years of rap fused with metal and down tuned garbage.

Say what you will, but i am digging this axe. Quite classy and tasty looking. Wish i could say the same for the price!
post #50 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:52 PM

I picked up a Shawn Lane album and was disappointed. All the songs sounded like easy listening Jazz. Just not my cup. I like Eric Johnson jazz songs but they are more distinctive than Shawn's in my opinion.

I think the EGEN looks good, but I am a bit surprised by the price.
post #51 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
HAHAHA.

You haven't read many of my posts. I'm no fan of Vai either. So that means nothing to me.

I honestly don't know much of Lane but I really don't care for fusion and the stuff I heard was, in my opinion, technically good but not somethig I would ever pay for.
post #52 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 21

I, personally, like the purple and gold. It's hot! The grip and the (LOL!) price tag I could do without. Then again, I'm not an S guy.
I think the Jem is overpriced too. IMO, models like the JS and the PGM are reasonably priced. $2,200?!?
post #53 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 AM

Geezzz...$3066 list for what is basically just a mauled S540FMTK with 24 frets and signature pups. Hell, it's even got the same classic oval dots. Does it come with a wax copy of Herman Li's head on a silver platter?
post #54 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
Does it come with a wax copy of Herman Li's head on a silver platter?
I wouldn't go THAT far! Herman is probably the reason there's now a 24 fret MIJ S to begin with.
Besides, the non-sig version seems more reasonably priced.
post #55 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
.....but the overall look (purple and gold) are colours I'd see some 50 year old tart wearing in the local pub.
This is the sound of a man whose wallet was emptied by a not-so-young woman in a public bar, her outfit a tasteful purple accented by a vast array of bling Really Dee, you should choose your boozing companions more carefully!

I like it. I'm not convinced by the price though - I already own a gold festooned signature guitar with chunks hacked out of it, so I'm not too sure I need another.
post #56 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
Yes, but they arent good for a shred tone. Also you can not use them for Jazz, country, metal and blues.
What are they, Evolution's?
too funny
jim777 is online  
post #57 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Not my style at any price, but why is this in the "non Ibanez" forum?
Because the OP is a ...
Well, I wouldn't say that but we can move it over to the Prestige area easy enough.
jim777 is online  
post #58 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
This is the sound of a man whose wallet was emptied by a not-so-young woman in a public bar, her outfit a tasteful purple accented by a vast array of bling Really Dee, you should choose your boozing companions more carefully!
I don't even drink beer at all! hate the stuff. Oh, and my wallet is always empty except when my aunty gives me 10 in a birthday card or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
HAHAHA.

You haven't read many of my posts. I'm no fan of Vai either. So that means nothing to me.

I honestly don't know much of Lane but I really don't care for fusion and the stuff I heard was, in my opinion, technically good but not somethig I would ever pay for.
It's all good man, just winding you up.
post #59 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM

I think the EGEN is incredibly cool. I love this kind of thing. I love the colors, the gold/purple combo, the matching headstock with a white Ibanez logo... Very cool. Also the pickup switching is really original. But if was interested in a 24 fret S, I'd surely go for the TKS. I like that one even more.

Alwin
post #60 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Vendor

According to Herman, the E-Gen has no sustain issues

Tags
cosmo hardware , direct mount pickups , direct mounted pickups , edge trem , edge zero , eric johnson , eric johnson jazz , ibanez catalog , monkey grip , mount pickups , mounted pickups , neck pickup , pickup ring , pickup rings , pickup switch , pickup switching , sam totman , scalloped frets , shawn lane , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

EGEN18 cost?
rare egen18 ibanez black hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode