The EGEN18 'Herman Li' anyone have/try? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

The EGEN18 'Herman Li' anyone have/try?

There are things about the Jem I really love....that being said there are also things that I wish was an option and were never offered.

I also am not crazy about some of the 'bling' that most Jems have; certainly not all Jems but the bright colors and swirls...well they just are not my thing.

I have often wished there was a cross of the Jem and JS taking things I like about both guitars and having it in one.

If I am not mistaken the EGEN18 is almost exactly a hybrid of the Jem and JS. It has the same neck dimensions including scalloped uppers of a Jem, but has more of a contoured JS style body/jack input. It also has a mahogany body with maple cap (very interesting, maybe some Les Paul tones?)

I have never seen one of these guitars nor heard anyone mention them. I youtubed Herman as I had never heard of his playing but couldnt get a handle on the guitars tone.

Has anyone played one of these guitars (*or own) and has thoughts on them. I am not sure if I like the bite mark in the upper horn but not sure I hate it. I would really like to know if this is the guitar I think it could be.
(*at a 3000$ price I am sure its not a POS!!!!).

Just wondering....

~JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: The EGEN18 'Herman Li' anyone have/try?

Herman Li is actually a member here, so you may get his 'biased' opinion. most seemed to have found them to be great guitars though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM

It's essentially an extremely souped up S series model. I *briefly* played one about a year ago when I was visiting my uncle. It was just ridiculous to play and by that I mean it basically played itself. The pickup switching is extremely versatile too.

It's become my dream guitar
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 AM

I should just Google it before posting but I thought this guitar was a 22 fretter due to Herman's preference for neck pup placement...I could well be wrong.

Great player, he can shred me to death. That said, give me 24 frets, or give me death anyway...

If it DOES come with 24 frets then I had better start saving- I actually like the bite mark on the horn MUCH cooler "signature body anomaly" than the JEM's monkey grip, IMO.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 AM

It's a bite mark?

I thought it was finger grooves. I have no idea why there would be finger grooves there, though. Maybe for leverage for some weird whammy bar trick?

And yeah it's 24 frets:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 1

NOT a bite mark. It is called "kung fu grip". Just google "EGEN18".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Called a kung foo grip, but looks like a shark took a nibble at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode