EGEN8 or EGEN18 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

EGEN8 or EGEN18

Is there honestly much of a difference thats worth the price? I cant decide on which one to get. Im gonna change the bridge on it either way. And change all the hardware to chrome, just because i hate gold hardware. And i dont too much like the Edge 3. Never used the Edge Zero but ive used the original edge all this time, why change it? Either one i buy im putting in the Edge from my old RG550. Plus its already chrome like i wanna change to. I like both colors, but i like the PLB even more. TVF isnt bad but theres just something about it that seems . . . .off? haha

Never really tried the neck on it but im sure it might be similar to the Wizard II so it could possibly need a quick filing down.

So as i come to the end of this im kinda thinking that i wanna go with the Egen8 but i wanna hear your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 AM

Re: EGEN8 or EGEN18

If you want to change the bridge and pickups + you like the finish of the Egen 8 more than the TVF, go and ****in get the Egen 8

The only difference might be, that the wood used on the Egen 8 doesn't sound as good as the wood on the Egen 18, but you could get 3x Egen 8 and still spend less money than getting 1x Egen 18^^

Follow your heart lol
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

You sir have a very valid point. I just needed to be convinced and in the time that i started the thread and came back to reply i had already bought another guitar so the EGEN18 is out of the question. I need to keep my hands out of my pockets haha

The 8 might still be a possibility if i finish the projects im on now. Or i could make the smarter choice and just fix my PGM . . . . .
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Another point is the Egen8 has a Wizard II neck and I believe the 18 has a Wizard prestige neck. They feel completely different to me, and I much prefer the Prestige neck, but everyones different, so try them both.

As Devo10 noted the tremolos and pickups are also different. Most people don't like the Edge III which is what the Egen8 has, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on that. Egen18 has the Edge Zero which is a really nice trem though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 5

The Egen8 is quite different from it's more expensive counterpart. For one thing, while they both have the unique coil-splitting functionality that allows for up to 9 different pickup combos, the ones in the Egen8 are simply V7, V8, and S1 pickups, while the ones in the Egen18 are customs based on the Evolution pickups. The 8 body is also a raw platinum-blond finish, while the Egen18 is a high-quality violet (though besides that, they're exactly the same). The 21st through 24th frets are also not scalloped like the Egen18's, and the tremolo is an Edge 3 instead of Herman's custom EdgeZero.

Besides that, they're pretty much the same. However, since the bodies are identical, based on what you wanna do, I say go with the Egen8.

Last edited by EXshad; 06-27-2010 at 04:07 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 AM

What's the custom on the "custom EdgeZero"?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
What's the custom on the "custom EdgeZero"?
I think the springs in the back are part of that name.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffplaysguitar View Post
Another point is the Egen8 has a Wizard II neck and I believe the 18 has a Wizard prestige neck. They feel completely different to me, and I much prefer the Prestige neck, but everyones different, so try them both.

As Devo10 noted the tremolos and pickups are also different. Most people don't like the Edge III which is what the Egen8 has, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on that. Egen18 has the Edge Zero which is a really nice trem though.
You should also bear in mind that as Jeff says, a lot of people don't like the Edge III, and a lot of people don't like the Edge Zero either!!!

I'm not trying to "hate" on that trem, it just doesn't sit as well with me (and a lot of other guys) as the older trems.

YMMV
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
You should also bear in mind that as Jeff says, a lot of people don't like the Edge III, and a lot of people don't like the Edge Zero either!!!

I'm not trying to "hate" on that trem, it just doesn't sit as well with me (and a lot of other guys) as the older trems.

YMMV

Yeah no matter what model i went with, the trem was getting scrapped and i was giving it to my brother. Im with you, i love the Original Edge. If it aint broke dont "fix it" haha

So its settled, EGEN8 with an overhaul.

1. Change hardware. Chrome.
2. Change pickups - Evos all around.
3. Black pickup rings.

Then i have exactly what i want without taking away from the Signaturesque (lolwut?) of the guitar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Hello, I'm new to this site.

I'm currently in the market for an S series, but I too need to keep my hands out of my pockets, being that I recently bought a used Ibanez GB200 ($2500). I'm looking for a cost effective alternative to the higher priced models, and this guitar looks like a likely candidate. I'm primarily into McLaughlin/Di Meola type playing, so the tremolo specifications aren't an issue, being that I rarely use it. I primarily use the neck pup for solos, so there's no need to swap the entire pup setup - if at all.

I have an RG470AH with a Wizard III neck, which is wide, thin and flat - great for chords as well as leads. The EGEN8 is noted to have a Wizard II. What's the difference between the Wizard III and Wizard II - is the Wizard II as flat as the III?!? The difference in necks alone may be the deciding factor whether I order this guitar or not. And is the action on the EGEN8 fairly low out of the box?!?

TIA

Last edited by TheTranslator; 06-14-2011 at 11:47 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

The wizard II is 56mm at the last fret and the wizardIII is 58mm at the last fret.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Thumbs up Re: EGEN8 or EGEN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
The wizard II is 56mm at the last fret and the wizardIII is 58mm at the last fret.
Ah, I see. I have an RG 350DX and an RG350MYE. The DX has the Wizard III, and the MYE has the Wizard II, which is narrower and harder to play chords with. However, the Ibanez site has the EGEN8 neck simply listed as EGEN, not Wizard III or II, although the width at the last fret is 58mm, which makes it basically a Wizard III - good news...

Last edited by TheTranslator; 06-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Question Re: EGEN8 or EGEN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffplaysguitar View Post
"Another point is the Egen8 has a Wizard II neck"
The online sources are being ambiguous as to what type of neck this thing has. Some say Wizard III, and some just say EGEN8. I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks till mine arrives in the store and see for myself...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_...&series_id=446

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-EGEN8

Tags
blonde , egen , purple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode