Electric Guitar Prices: What are we paying for? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The closest to the JIVA is the SIX6DFM which lists for $1400, then add the particular inlays and the royalties she'll get and yes, there is extra profit margin, but it's not as big as you'd think. Especially not for Ibanez. That $1400 guitar wholesales for $700. The $2000 guitar wholesales for $1000. After you add the royalties and inlays they may make a couple hundred more so we're not talking about huge money here. It's more about getting an ibanez on stage with a touring act drawing good crowds with a good female guitar player who will hopefully encourage those that see her play that the instrument is good enough and cool enough, and maybe they should check out these Ibanez guitars and see what they're about. That's always been the real reason for endorsements, they make a little extra dough, but mostly they spread the brand. And every now and then they'll catch a little lightning and a JEM will become a thing all its own.
I never said they make a lot more profit on a signature guitar. Only that they have a higher profit margin.
And here is also a quote in my own post above:

Plus, the brand will sell more of their lower-price instruments from fans who cannot afford the signature model.

So I guess we are in agreement.
webjunk is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Vendor

Re: Electric Guitar Prices: What are we paying for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
There are more signature guitars because the profit margin is much higher.
Mostly, but I don't believe the profit margin is much higher, just higher.

[I forgot the add the True velvet of the JIVA]

But we are in agreement the majority of the reason behind having endorsers is to spread the brand and expend the customer base into the higher or lower price offerings.
Rich is online  
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Mostly, but I don't believe the profit margin is much higher, just higher.

[I forgot the add the True velvet of the JIVA]

But we are in agreement the majority of the reason behind having endorsers is to spread the brand and expend the customer base into the higher or lower price offerings.
Well if they keep up the Genesis lines while still making some newer offerings, they will bankrupt me lol
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 PM

I was just talking to my buddy earlier today about the new Gibson R8s. They are the closest to the fabled 60y/o guitars that Gibson has ever produced. That said, I have a 98 R8 and I couldn't see selling it and dumping an additional $3-4K to get one. I just don't see the value...even before I switched to mainly 25.5" scale guitars. I've also got a masterfully built CU24 with a "10 top" and it looks spectacular. I got 13yrs ago and it cost half as much as they do now. Even my buddy who hated them and called it overpriced admits to the quality. I haven't played the new ones so I can't attest to their quality but I doubt it's taken a dive. But that guitar has been the single hardest guitar for me to bond with, with half a dozen pickup changes, a refret, and a re-radiusing to turn it into the guitar I expected it to be after it was "broken in".

The guitar I had I thought was overpriced the first time I saw it but after I got one at a deal and become comfortable with realized it was worth every penny was a EBMM Reflex anniversary. It had 3 body woods (killer quilt top) and a gorgeous bridseye maple neck and a great set of electronics. Sterling pissed me off and I sold both of my EBMMs...but they were worth every nickel the asking price.

On a personal level I try to buy primarily US and Japanese guitars because I know and understand the quality and realize the cost is partially justified by the high cost of labor in those countries.

Luke
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 21
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Take the new Nita Strauss Jiva guitar. Is it worth $1500? Does it cost the same as other $1500 Ibanez guitars to build? There are more signature guitars because the profit margin is much higher.
The closest to the JIVA is the SIX6DFM which lists for $1400, then add the particular inlays and the royalties she'll get and yes, there is extra profit margin, but it's not as big as you'd think. Especially not for Ibanez. That $1400 guitar wholesales for $700. The $2000 guitar wholesales for $1000. After you add the royalties and inlays they may make a couple hundred more so we're not talking about huge money here. It's more about getting an ibanez on stage with a touring act drawing good crowds with a good female guitar player who will hopefully encourage those that see her play that the instrument is good enough and cool enough, and maybe they should check out these Ibanez guitars and see what they're about. That's always been the real reason for endorsements, they make a little extra dough, but mostly they spread the brand. And every now and then they'll catch a little lightning and a JEM will become a thing all its own.
I remember back when I started playing the first Ibanez logos I remember seeing were Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, and Warrant.
Who of this group were on MTV and touring the most?
I don't think the guys from Warrant ever saw a real sig.
And before anyone asks, yes I liked Warrant and still do. 😄
FireEagle likes this.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

This page is basically what I am talking about:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Sol...itars/high2low
The price difference from the least expensive to most expensive is about $10,000. The least expensive guitar is a little under $5000. At some point, the only thing that seems to be gained is a longer title on the guitar.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
The price difference from the least expensive to most expensive is about $10,000. The least expensive guitar is a little under $5000. At some point, the only thing that seems to be gained is a longer title on the guitar.
That's a nice webpage to start the day with. But now i'm looking down the back of the couch looking for change trying to see if there's a spare 10G down there...
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Wow... Some gorgeous guitars there! Ridiculous pricing, but nice guitars... aaaaand then there are the even more ridiculous "relic'd" strats. Hmmm... What is crazier? Paying $11,358 for a gorgeous "Dragon's Breath" PRS or paying $5,900 for a relic'd David Gilmour strat?
Hoseki likes this.

Last edited by FireEagle; 09-05-2018 at 04:07 PM.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Wow... Some gorgeous guitars there! Ridiculous pricing, but nice guitars... aaaaand then there are the even more ridiculous "relic'd" strats. Hmmm... What is crazier? Paying $11,358 for a gorgeous "Dragon's Breath" PRS or paying $5,900 for a relic'd David Gilour strat?
If you want to save some money on a quality relic'd guitar:

FireEagle likes this.
webjunk is online  
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
That's a nice webpage to start the day with. But now i'm looking down the back of the couch looking for change trying to see if there's a spare 10G down there...
The exchange rate works in your favor so you only need 7G in £. 😉
jono likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
The exchange rate works in your favor so you only need 7G in £. 😉
Yay... ?
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Wow... Some gorgeous guitars there! Ridiculous pricing, but nice guitars... aaaaand then there are the even more ridiculous "relic'd" strats. Hmmm... What is crazier? Paying $11,358 for a gorgeous "Dragon's Breath" PRS or paying $5,900 for a relic'd David Gilmour strat?
They can both be equally crazy
FireEagle likes this.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
They can both be equally crazy
Very true! The most I have ever paid for a guitar is $800 to a guy on Jemsite for a factory customized JS1200 a couple of years ago... and I sound just as mediocre playing my thrown together Roadstar/Strat that cost me almost nothing.

I think the prices for "elite" guitars are ridiculous. I can't justify buying a brand new guitar because I know I can find one used in perfect condition for a LOT less, might have to wait a few years though. As one of the working poor I've grown accustomed to my paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Can't wait for a cheap used AZ in a few years with a roasted neck and ss frets... ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode