Electronics Discusssion - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Electronics Discusssion

I installed gravity storm neck and bridge pups on my RG655
I love the sound of them. Very deep, warm, and organic sound. I seriously haven't been this excited in tone in a very long time. They sound that great.

A few observations that I made during the installation of the pups...
Under the pickguard I found cheap alpha parts. Not wanting to use them I wired in a new 3 way CRL switch that I had. I didn't wire the red velvet single.
I used an ibanez branded volume pot with its treble bleed left on. No tone pot wired.

The guitar sounds damn good.

Here's the dilemma...
I want coil splitting and combining them with the red velvet. I don't want to use the alpha switch so I've been looking at an VLX91 switch. Some say it sucks tone. Is this the case? I hope not lol I cant find them online anyway.

Also will the red velvet work? Or would I have to use an evolution single?

It's a players guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Re: Electronics Discusssion

vlx91's are a pain in the ass to wire
I have one in my rg 2020x no loss in tone there she's a beast
if you are just going to use a standard HSH wireing all you need is a 5 way crl fender style if you like the feel of the 3 way that is

I'd leave the true velvet: gravity storms have less output than the EVOs the velvet will match up great with the tapped humbuckers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I had a used crl fender 5 way.
I wired it accordingly to this diagram i found:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kzv/...h-s-h.jpg.html

Now I'm left wondering if it really is splitting the humbuckers. It sounds like it is. But when I have it on lets say bridge and middle, I touch the bridge humbucker with a screwdriver and both coils make noise, the middle single makes noise too.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:38 PM

the diagram looks good compare it to this one http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...split2and4.pdf

you will get a bit of noise from both coils even if it is tapped so i bet you got it right

does it have a cool vintage vibe? in position 2 and 4 I know mine does
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 AM

I am using the VLX91 super-switch and a 2-position 3-pole switch at my RG550LTD with Dimarzio Gravity Storm and a True velvet in the middle.

The sound is great. A very wide palette of tones, including classical Stratocaster.

I am considering doing the same at my new j-custom RG8550 but using a push-pull pot instead of the switch (I don't want to drill holes at the j-custom)

I a using the same configuration as the EGEN-18. I drew my own schematic that was more clear for me, I'll try to find it.

note: the Evolution ISCV2 sounds awful. It really sucks, both alone or in combination with gravities or evos. So bad that I was wondering If had a fake copy (I bought it from a online store and everything seemed ok) but I've already sold it

Last edited by pingfloid; 12-03-2016 at 06:22 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Here is the schematic I drew to make my life easier:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ic%20Rev03.pdf

Page one for practical purposes, and page two to understand how the switch circuits are working (I hate to connect things if I don't know how they work).

Keep in mind that the VLX91 is asymmetric. i.e. when you look at it from the front (VLX91 logo) the terminals at the right, from bottom to top are 0-1-2-3-4-5 and at the let side, from bottom to top are 0-5-4-3-2-1

Last edited by pingfloid; 12-05-2016 at 08:44 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
the diagram looks good compare it to this one http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...split2and4.pdf

you will get a bit of noise from both coils even if it is tapped so i bet you got it right

does it have a cool vintage vibe? in position 2 and 4 I know mine does
Heck yeah it has a vintage vibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingfloid View Post
Here is the schematic I drew to make my life easier:

Page one for practical purposes, and page two to understand how the switch circuits are working (I hate to connect things if I don't know how they work).

Keep in mind that the VLX91 is asymmetric. i.e. when you look at it from the front (VLX91 logo) the terminals at the right, from bottom to top are 0-1-2-3-4-5 and at the let side, from bottom to top are 0-5-4-3-2-1

Wow that's a great looking schematic you drew. I'm really intrigued now with that wiring to get even more sounds. I'll probably be running it without a tone pot and having a switch instead of the push pull pot, just like Tosin Abasi's guitar

BTW, Anyone know where I can buy a new VLX91 switch?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:57 PM

There are numerous ebay sellers for the VLX91. It is a good switch, and not hard to solder assuming a reasonable level of skill.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Bought a new VLX91 from ebay.. Also bought a coil tapping on off switch
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM

Sorry. Here is the correct link:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingfloid View Post
In the ibanez provided schematics the black and bare wires that come from the neck and bridge pickup along with the white cable from the single coil, are all those going to ground? I ask because I am going to be using an on off switch for the splitting.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

I ended up wiring it all with a dimarzio push pull pot.

Wiring was a mess but it works. It took me a solid 3 hours to wire everything.

Having the extra 5 sounds is cool.

One problem I had was not being able to use the old pickup switch screws on the VLX91. I had zero screws from my tool box that would fit. Luckily enough the screws from the floyd block that hold the springs fit the VLX91 swtich. But unfortunately the screws are not black so I will have to order some black ones.

Tags
gravity storm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode