The elusive 540 PII - revisited (Rich and Nuno, please read) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

The elusive 540 PII - revisited (Rich and Nuno, please read)

Aimed directly at Nuno, PlayThickStrings, Bucketbot, Javashred and Jimosity (and, of course, Rich and the techies)...

Here's the deal: I finally found a 540 PII SHBK, and at a great price. Now, there's two small pieces missing: the button of one of the tuning machine heads (you know, the part you take between thumb and index finger and turn ), and the pickguard. Also, the finish (black) is not what it used to be - no dents or scratches, but the paint's chipped here and there.

- Which machineheads do I need (part#...)? Which is the best place to get them from? (I am in Belgium, and it's rather hard to find knowledgeable shops here)
- I probably won't be able to get a stock replacement pickguard - hence this appeal for an outline or scan
- To have the guitar refinished, is there a special brand or color of paint recommended ?

On a related note, would it be considered blasphemy if I were to install EMGs (including routing a cavity for the battery compartiment) at one point or another ? I am not a purist, but if this is considered a "collectible" or "classic" guitar, I would feel bad to do so.

Waiting for your comments, suggestions, help... ! Thanks for reading !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:32 PM

Well, I'm not one of the persons this thread was aimed to, but: You don't mean the same PII I have my eyes on, do you??

As for the tuners, lefty standard gotohs should fit. They pop up fairly often on, umm, some auction site.

The stock PUs are neat, so at least give them a test drive before you decide to go the EMG route. If you do so, don't forget to send me the IBZ/USA F3 if you don't need it anymore, lol. I love those F3s.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horstausmforst
Well, I'm not one of the persons this thread was aimed to, but: You don't mean the same PII I have my eyes on, do you??
Eh... I think I know which one you're talking about, but I did pay a lot more than that
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Vendor

All you need is the head, find an old set that apears to have a matching head and just swap the set of heads
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:57 AM

NOOOO!!!!
DO NOT TOUCH THOSE PICKUPS, PLEASE!!!! I IMPLORE YOU!!!

dp15655,
those pickups absolutely rock!!! i LOOOOVE 'em!!! they're either so powerful and crunchy and creamy and thick!!
please dont swap them!!!
and also, that's a very collectible item!!! you can't do that on that thing! please let it as it is!!!

pleeeeeease!!!

ps: sorry, dont know about paint and pickguard...
pps: would you sell the babe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode