EMG-707 or Duncan Distortion? - Which pickup is best? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

EMG-707 or Duncan Distortion? - Which pickup is best?

I'm looking for personal suggestions on this one...

I want to install either an EMG-707 active pickup (the model used by Dino Cazares of Fear Factory) or a Seymour Duncan Distorion pickup in the bridge position on my RG7620. Has anyone had experience with either of these? Which would you recommend?

Pricewise, the EMG is about $120 and the Duncan is about $75. However, the EMG would cost more to get installed because of its active design.

Speaking of active design, is it a pain in the ass to have a battery in your guitar? I hear these must be changed every 3-6 months.

Let me know what you think the best bet might be. Also, if you have any other suggestions for a HIGH OUTPUT 7-string bridge pickup, I'd love to hear them. I really need something hotter, brighter and higher output than the Dimarzio "whatever 7" model that's in there now. (It's a stock 1998 RG7620.)

Thanks in advance!

Later,
RedFive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:05 PM

EMG-707 or Duncan Distortion?

EMG 707 is a great pickup. It doesnt need to be changed that often. I have had the batteries in for a year and it still hasnt changed. And i use it ALOT. they are expensive, but worth it.

chris
to hear what they sound like with full gain go here:

http://www.mp3.com/darksideSR
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 01:02 AM

Also for the emg to fit you will have to do some routing.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking the EMG-707 is the best choice for the sound I'm going for. It *is* expensive, but hopefully the sound would be well worth it. Anyone else have suggestions?

Noodles: Regarding the routing, the FAQs on the EMG website (www.emginc.com) say that you can put the battery in the compartment with the volume/tone pots or the input jack.

Thanks,
RedFive
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 07:26 AM

Thats not what I ment, you will have to rout for the pickup itself because EMG put the pickup in a 5-string bass pickups case.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 12:52 PM

i've seen the emg go for around $98 new at some dealers. but if you get them directly from emg, it'll be the $120.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Routing is required to install the EMG-707 in an RG7? Can anyone else confirm this? I have a feeling the guitar shop would charge me an arm and a leg for this kind of thing...

getthis: What dealers have you seen that carry the pickup for $98? Any online or national dealers? Thanks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 11:53 PM

yes, routing required, shouldn't be too much(and make sure you get a written guarantee in case they mess up your guitar). all dealers i've seen selling them for around $98 a year ago were all backordered and one stopped selling them(www.gtrheaven.com). local guitar shops might cut you a deal if you buy a pair of 707's instead of just one. ask all your local dealers that carry them.

and on the subject of 707's, if you haven't yet, go check out the new fear factory album.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Hrmm... well, I definately want the 707, it's the best metal 7-string sound I've heard (in Dino's case). I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet for the routing.

As for the new Fear Factory album, I have it and I love it. Not only are the songs great, but Dino's sound on that album is amazing. Great example of what the Ibanez/EMG combo can do.

One final question on this topic: If I only replace the bridge position pickup, the five-way switch can still be used in conjunciton with the neck pickup, right? Let me know.

Thanks!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 10:34 AM

Yep you can combine active and passive electronics. Im not quite sure if the wiring is the same but it shouldnt be any different. you'd just wire the EMGs hot right where the DiMarzios old hot use to go. the only extra wiring with the EMG is for the battery, which I think is connected by them anyway, and a wire to the input jack so it turns off the battery when disconnected. REMEMBER, in order to run EMG pickups you REQUIRE a stereo input jack. one for ground, one for lead, and now one for the battery switch....but since we're all playing Ibanez, WE'RE ALL SET. cuz as i remember all Ibanez guitars are built stock with stereo input jacks.

damn these forums!! i was set once again on keeping my Blazes and now Im thinking about the 707's again. this is like the 15th time ive started thinking about switching...im just gonna do it...i hear to many good things...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:56 PM

RedFive,

Check this mp3 out and tell me how much difference you hear:

http://www.ryanadam.com/01-AOD-FinalMix-Burn.mp3

The rhythm guitar in the left channel is an ESP with an EMG-707.

The rhythm guitar in teh right channel is an Ibanez RG-7620 with a Blaze-II (NOT THE STOCK PICKUP!!)

Both guitars were run thru the same amp. *Same EQ.

I personally feel the DiMarzio is crisper and crunchier than the EMG. *It also requires zero modification to the physical aspects of the guitar.

I installed the 707 for Alain in his ESP using a small wood chisel. *I got the pickup fitted with the chisel, but I needed a dremel with a router bit to clean up the cavity and make it square. *

The only problem with putting one of these in your guitar is that you can't really go back to a regular size pickup without there being a gigantic hole around it... *Other than the semi-irreversability of the process, it's actually pretty easy to do a decent job w/o much trouble. *I would advise you practice on a scrap guitar or painted piece of wood first so you can get a feel for how the router behaves.

Red Leader
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:04 PM

ryan i gotta say that those guitars are SUPER heavy. listening to the guitar on the right channel, thats exactly how I thought I might sound if I got an EMG. But if that was done with Blaze's then im sticking with them. but i know that most of that tone is coming from your hands. something which i could never duplicate. but if i want something like that im just gonna have to teach myself. also i think its probably yours amps too. you still using 5150's??
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:13 PM

Yessir.

Amp tone on that track is straight thru the 5150. *Nothing in the loop. *Nothing between the guitar and the head except for a 10 yr. old Whirlwind cable... *

You may notice a little bit of digital crackle on that track -- there seems to be a glitch in my recording software with panning loud tracks. *I re-mixed them all with the guitars hard-panned left & right (as opposed to almost-hard-panned as they are now...) and the crackles went away. *I'll post some links to the new versions when I get them online.

Ryan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 09:46 PM

Ryan, I really like the final mix! I put it up on the big speakers and it was nice and smooth and thick.

Be sure to bring a copy of the CD to Jemfest for me.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

As for the Blaze-II, that's a pickup I haven't even really looked into. I was really only comparing the Duncan Distortion and the EMG-707. Where does the Blaze-II fit in with these two pickups? Higher output? Lower? Same? If anyone knows, let me know. The EMG does sound like a lot of work to put in there, but it also seems to get a great sound. However, I'd love to go with the less-expensive and reversible setup of a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan pickup if I can get a similar or better sound. How does the Blaze compare as far as pricing with the Seymour Duncan and the EMG?

For the type of music I play, I want the bridge pickup to have super-high output so as to get a very crunchy, yet crisp sound. All of these suggestions are great and I welcome anymore that anyone might have.

Thanks!

RedFive

Tags
amp tone , bridge pickup , bridge position , dino cazares , duncan distortion , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , input jacks , local guitar shop , neck pickup , seymour duncan , string bass , string bridge , string bridge pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode