EMG Pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

EMG Pickups

My friends got some EMG pickups that hes takin out of hs gutar and thought that i mite like to buy them off him. Hes got a bc rich mick thompson signature series and the pickups say EMG - HZ on them. Will these pickups fit my guitar (Ibanez Prestige RG1550) and will they sound ok. I heard there mite be some difficulty because his guitar didnt have a trem and mine does. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Re: EMG Pickups

I'd go against it. EMG HZ pickups are passive, which is not EMG's strong point. Buy better passives from Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Bill Lawrence, etc...

The pickups on your 1550 are MUCH better than the HZs (trust me, I've tried both).
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks for your help
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

wot about if im only payin 25 for them? (about $40)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 AM

^^
then sell 'em for $60.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 AM

Get 'em.. try 'em.. if you hate 'em.. sell 'em..
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM

I had those pickups in my Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul. I feel pretty neutral about them. They weren't especially memorable but I remember thinking they were good enough to warrent not changing them.

For 25 you can't go wrong, you'll get that back on e-bay.

Darren
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM

I've got an RG1550 and i think the pickups in them are much better then the EMG-HZ's i've tried recently. I was trying an ESP LTD with EMG-HZs in them today and i thought they were rubbish. I even prefer the stock pickups on my RG1550 to EMG-81's
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
I even prefer the stock pickups on my RG1550 to EMG-81's
Same here. The only known fan of EMG-HZs I can think of right now is Alexi Laiho. His signature ESP is friggin' expensive and you get just one pickup (too bad it's an HZ).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Wud you guys recommend i paid more 4 some di marzios or sumthing?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Id pass on the HZ's. Passive is not EMG's strongsuit. Put a little more money in and you can score a set of used Dimarzios with more passive flavor on E***

Or if you want to go the active route a set of EMG 85/81 is just a bit more than a new set of Dimarzios if you shop around. I picked up a ZW set new with a some holiday e-coupon my wife found for 129.00

Your friends HZ polepieces will not line up on your F-spaced string spacing. Not a major impact on sound but the look makes me when the strings dont line up correctly.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrriman74
Wud you guys recommend i paid more 4 some di marzios or sumthing?

I recently bought a Dimarzio Air Norton and Steve Special (basically Petrucci's pickups) and when i get them fitted i'll tell you if it's worth shelling out extra instead of the stock pickups!

I really do quite like the stock Ibanez pickups, only reason i'm buying Dimarzio's is to see if i can get a better tone. The stock pickups on the RG1550 are really quite good.

If you're going down the high output alley then i'd probably shell out a bit extra for some EMG 81's. I doubt you'll need to re-route it, just stick it behind the scratchplate (i'm not sure if it'll fit, might be a squeeze).

I'm not a massive fan of active pickups (they all sound the same and sort of remove any signature tone from your guitar and your hands imho *disclaimmer: this is my opinion!*) so i'd probably try out the Dimarzio X2N railhumbucker or prehaps Dimarzio Evolutions (i don't really like Evo's in basswood though). Seymour Duncan's Dimebucker might be another idea but i think that Dimarzio's are just better - Also my opinion!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2
Your friends HZ polepieces will not line up on your F-spaced string spacing. Not a major impact on sound but the look makes me when the strings dont line up correctly.
To my knowledge, the EMG HZ pickups are designed similarly to their actives pickups in that there is actually only one pole piece similar to that of a Dimarzio X2N which then has a cover over it. I know that this is the case with their active pickups because they only make one size for humbuckers aside from like the P-90 shape.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 PM

http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...&categoryid=17

I was thinking of the pickup above, but I think you are right, generally thier passives are sealed.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 PM

a buddy of mine has hz in his ltd and i think it's horrible compared to my tone zone. but, the guitars are made of different wood as well. so, i'm sure that has something to do with it also.

Tags
air norton , alexi laiho , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , emg active , fat strat , ibanez pickups , les paul , mick thompson , neck pickup , seymour duncan , tone zone , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode