EMG's In my rg370 possible?(replies please!) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Question EMG's In my rg370 possible?(replies please!)

hi i was wondering if its possible to get an emg 81/s/81 combo in my rg370, the evo isnt really working for me, i just wanted to know what would need to be done to actually get them in, heres a pic of my guitar please post pics of your emg equiped ibanez wiring and what needed to be done to get them in.

thanks

JF

Last edited by jem_fanatic; 06-09-2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Re: EMG's In my rg370 possible?(replies please!)

as far as i know it can be done, but it requires a reroute! work that takes balls! thats why i steer clear of anything like that haha
btw, my friend has emgs in his guitar and he hates it, says its really harsh when played clean. dunno if its just him being a fussy bleeder or if its true, ive never been able to make an aural judgement myself.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:37 PM

You can put EMGs in that guitar with no routing, only the 7 string EMGs need routing done to fit.

As long as you can get a 9V battery in the control cavity(which you can on an RG) you're good to go.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
ZJH

Yeah, regular 6-string EMGs will fit no problem. But I heard that the 81 and basswood is not a good combo. Keyword: heard. Can anyone fill me in on this? It'll help jem_fanatic too.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJH
Yeah, regular 6-string EMGs will fit no problem. But I heard that the 81 and basswood is not a good combo. Keyword: heard. Can anyone fill me in on this? It'll help jem_fanatic too.

Had them in my RG for a while. They rocked. I when back to passives cause I like to experiment. Kinda wish I had a set in one of my RG's now...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:41 PM

used to have the emg81 on my rg, but went back to passives. they sound very good for the saturated metal stuff but seem too sterile for blues, etc.

not very versatile in my opinion, but definitely one of the best pickups for metal around.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: EMG's In my rg370 possible?(replies please!)

i have a question though how often dom you have to change the battery/how do you know its running out and how many batterys do i need for the h/s/h config?

thanks

JF
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem_fanatic
i have a question though how often dom you have to change the battery/how do you know its running out and how many batterys do i need for the h/s/h config?

thanks

JF
The battery will last awhile, depending on how often you play, of course. I change mine a couple of times a year. When the batt gets low at will get fuzzy and thin at low volumes.

One battery is sufficient, although you can wire two together.

wemedge
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: EMG's In my rg370 possible?(replies please!)

im playin at least 2 hours a day, how often so?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 AM

The following is directly from the emg faq:

"How long does the battery last?

All EMG pickups and EQ systems are designed for extremely low current drain. In addition, the pickup jack included with all models has a switch that disconnects the battery when the guitar is not plugged in. To maximize battery life, you should always unplug your guitar when it's not in use.

The Specs Page includes current requirements and estimated battery life for each model. Generally, each pickup requires about 80 microamps (uA), except for the Vintage Series pickups which require 220 uA each. EQ circuit requirements vary widely but are higher than pickups.

For your reference, a standard 9 volt alkaline battery provides 580 milliAmpHours (mAh) of power. That means that it will provide 580 milliAmps for 1 hour or 1 milliamp for 580 hours. There are 1000 uA per mA. You can figure the approximate battery life of any setup by adding up the individual power requirements, then dividing 580,000 by this total. Here's an example:

1 - EMG-81 = 80 uA
2 - EMG-SV = 220 uA*2 = 440 uA
1 - EXG = 410 uA
-------------
Total required = 930 uA
Total life = 580,000 uAh / 930 uA = 623 hours

If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year. Of course, you should treat these numbers conservatively and not try to drain every last uA out!"

I change my battery regardless to avoid leaks, etc.,

regards
wemedge
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:21 AM

EMG are the way to go man!!! sadly they are a more metal style pickups and arent the caleanest around but who cares! they sure got more balls than the damn EVO pickups. Anyway i plan to get an EMG 81 for the bridge PU in my new RG 320 FM and a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:41 AM

EMGs do sound great for the heavy distortion stuff and now I'm even contemplating putting some in my RG370DX but I don't like the sound of mixing actives with passives because the drop in volume is pretty extreme. Also, after playing around with some actual EMGs i'd have to say that they aren't as limited as I thought. You can actually get a very nice clean tone with them and the distorted tone is also very clean. I love how they are high output but have great string clarity. Of course, I wouldn't suggest using them for something like blues just because they aren't the warmest pickups in the world.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h
as far as i know it can be done, but it requires a reroute! work that takes balls! thats why i steer clear of anything like that haha
btw, my friend has emgs in his guitar and he hates it, says its really harsh when played clean. dunno if its just him being a fussy bleeder or if its true, ive never been able to make an aural judgement myself.
I dislike EMGs for the same reason - they all sound very harsh clean. You need a lot of gain with them, and they sound the same in pretty much any guitar as well.

Additionally I think a lot of pickups sound much better for high gain too!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:43 PM
ZJH

Also, I heard you have to switch the 5-way to a 3-way because of the wiring, which kinda sucks. I really like the sounds I get in the 2nd and 4th position of the blade on clean.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM

If you get the prewired harness kit youll have to widen the pickup wire holes to accept the ez connect tabs! Kind of defeats the purpose doesnt it? Anyways, other than that you may have to change your input jack to the three pronged version the emg-s require. A good kit usually comes with this. If your interested in getting rid of that evo cheap let me know!

Tags
base plate , clean tone , coil tap , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , distorted tone , emg active , evo pickups , les paul , neck humbucker , neck pickup , paf pro , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode