EMGs in a Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy EMGs in a Prestige

Hi all
A question for the Jemsite Universe.
Has anyone ever fitted EMGs in an Ibanez ( HSH )? I want to replace my standard pickups and still keep the HSH config.
I`ve heard that the EMG cant be split? and if done so will produce some strange noises?
Fact or fiction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 AM

Re: EMGs in a Prestige

Fiction. Not all EMGs can be split but some are designed to do it:
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/190/239/1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Algiman
Thanks, would this require more than one push pull toggle for Humbucker bridge / single coil. Humbucker neck / single coil.
Or run all three pick ups individual with a single push pull pot for the single to activate and a switch for neck or bridge?

Cheers
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu46 View Post
Algiman
Thanks, would this require more than one push pull toggle for Humbucker bridge / single coil. Humbucker neck / single coil.
Or run all three pick ups individual with a single push pull pot for the single to activate and a switch for neck or bridge?

Cheers
They are designed so that every 89 / 81tw needs its own push-pull pot. The only way to do it with a single push-pull is with a relay - and the wiring will be hell.

If you don't care about the middle single coil, there's a nice setup for HH config that uses only a 5-way switch and no push-pull.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM

I actually have EMG's in most of my main guitars - and use an 89-SA-89R with a 5-way super switch, one push pull, and one mini toggle - the only issue I have with them is the 89 split is a bit quiet - but that is to be expected as its got a lot less output at that point. The switch is set up so its bridge, bridge+middle, Bridge+Neck, Neck+Middle, Neck - so I use the push pull on the volume to split the bridge, and the mini toggle for the neck. I set it up this was as the middle by itself was never a position I used - but find the neck + bridge more useful for what I play. That way I can cover most tones with the guitar (as clean I really like the bridge single+middle or Neck single+middle - kinda stratish) yet can still use the H-H les paulish or any combo in-between.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I can`t live a hole in the middle, or a dummy pickup. I should just get over it and move on. My Ibanez is an RG1570, can you recommend a similar guitar with EMGs in? The neck profile is just perfect. Doesn`t have to be the same make etc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM

pazu, I just bought an ibanez prestige 2610 j craft and it has one pickup : the humbucker... and it's an emg 81.

It's the best guitar I own. Seek that guitar out at all costs and BUY they can be had for a reasonable used price but they're discontinued and a bit hard to come by... mine has the binding on the body, fretboard and headstock and it's simply gorgeous.

However keep in mind that if you only have one pick up and it's an EMG, that guitar is limited to strictly metal music (not a problem for me though). I put the jazz / jb set in everything else if I need to play some jazz.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Reviews: 11

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Used-Ibanez-P...item43a65d9c2e

something like this maybe?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

YES--they can be split! You just have to talk nice to the hamsters...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
YES--they can be split! You just have to talk nice to the hamsters...

LOL!!

Tags
emg hsh config

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode