empty gigbag/full gigbag! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

empty gigbag/full gigbag!

anyone ever gone on holiday witha view to buying a guitar over there and bringing it back in a gig bag? I live in the UK and guitars here are VERY expensive in comparison to the US for example.
I'm thinking of going on holiday with an empty gig bag then getting a great guitar and bring it back as hand luggage.
Anyone done that before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 AM

I did that earlier this year, except I didn't take a gigbag or a case :-)

Went into the local pawn shop and saw a 1991 gibson flying v with case for $250, asked what the best price was and said $200 plus tax, which made it $216 (around £135).

On the way back it had to go with the luggage on the plane due to the size of the case and when going through customs there were no staff to be seen so I just walked through.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 AM

Has anyone ever taken body and neck apart and packed guitar in their luggage? (probably yes)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:41 AM

PekkaM's solution is probably the only one if you want to take your guitar as handluggage. But then again, by taking apart the guitar, you really limit the chances of damage anyway, and you might as well pack it in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 AM

Not particularly to the UK, but I've had a couple experiences. Domestically, I was allowed to take my SG w/case on the plane and they strapped it onto the seat next to me (the plane was not full). But on the return trip they made me check it and the guitar was damaged (the case was not a true hardshell). This was several years ago. I brought a classical back from Spain in a lightweight case to the US and it was a situation similar to Blues-core, I was probably supposed to check it but I had it strapped to my back and slipped in along with the crowd. I then had to wait until the plane was settleds and the flight attenadnt placed it in the first class storage closet. A bit of a gamble to try to bring it on, since recently (post 9/11) bags are watched more closely.

If you know what kind of guitar you're going to buy you could check and empty case on your way over here, and try to get it on board on the return...if you can't it will protected in the cargo area.

All the best with your trip and guitar hunt.
Greg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Reviews: 3
i bought my rg470 in america n when comin home just whacked the hardcase in the hold. We were waiting at the turnstyle thing for it n it never came so we reported it at the desk n they had it, they thought it was a gun. Plus there was a corner knocked off the case, clumsy gits.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Banned

I've carried my guitar with me and travel from US to Asia for over 5 times... in summer time I go to HK and when summer ends I go back to US. I've used both hardshell case and gig bag. I have no problem with my guitars! no damage no scratches on the hardshell case everything perfect. may be it's because I'm lucky and I take EXTREMELY care of my guitars! haha... make sure you carry them on board "earlier than everybody" that way you have room to place the guitar b4 everyone else fill up the space. so you don't have to put it under the seat or whatever. at least it works for me hope this helps you
good luck! -Sam-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:46 AM

I've also traveled with a guitar in the "hold" in a hardcase. No damage either.

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences of the other posters.

I loosened the strings, and packed in a lot of socks (and other "soft" material).

One important thing to do is to have a "clean" case with nothing but a big sticker that reads "FRAGILE" on each side. When checking it in, you can actually (at least back then) ask (nicely) "what happens if this is damaged?".

What happened to me is that (I was a kid then) the nice lady simply said "let's put a FRAGILE sticker on it, so that they (the baggage handlers) know to take care of it"
It came out first on the turnstyle and seemed "very well taken care of".

That of course was the first experience, and as other first experiences, it was great.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 AM

Ibateur, exact same as when I was traveling back with the V this year, mine came out first (with the fragile stickers on) and about 20 minutes another 2 guitar case full of music stickers came out so I thin they pay attention to the fragile sticker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode