The end of Anderson Guitarworks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

The end of Anderson Guitarworks

Here is the story, one I hadn't even heard until today. Anderson is returning to a 1 man shop from the 20+ person mini-factory they are today.

jim
jim777 is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Re: The end of Anderson Guitarworks

sad... I remember seeing my first tom anderson along time ago and drooling over it for a few years.. Never got it..

Hope he just doesnt call it quits one day..
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM

Cool Re: The end of Anderson Guitarworks

Weird,

Tom's reasons for dismantling the company are the same as mine. I enjoy developing network solutions and software, but when my scope of action involved 20 ppl, it was no longer fun.

Back now doing my own projects as a freelancer. I make less money, but the peace of mind is priceless. I can actually practice guitar daily again for at least 3-4 hours

I'm still a shareholder in the company, but don't work in it anymore, although I'm one of its (freelance) solutions suppliers.

Regards,

JP

Last edited by Demogorgos; 11-14-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

What in the world?! He really doesn't give the real explanation. He leaves so much out. There has to be more to it than a guy selfishly wants to make guitars all by himself instead of being the "boss". If that were the case he'd take on a partner to run the operations, and then offer "Tom-built" private reserve style guitars while still doing the mini factory production runs. There seems to be plenty of ways for him to have his cake and eat it, too.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

There does, considering even Bill Gates was able to step aside and get back to a more geeky job more to his liking. I would think MS is a bit more difficult to run than Anderson Guitarworks!
jim777 is online  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 PM

Wow, that is strange. I'm sure Tom could employ somebody to run the business side of things so he could get more hands on if he wanted to. John Suhr does that and plays every guitar before it gets dispatched.

It's a shame Anderson are great guitars and as I'm sure they will still be fantastic instruments they will be rarer than rocking horse sh!t !!!

Good luck Tom in whatever you do
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 AM

At least now they will be guitars actually made by Tom Anderson, again.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM

So now we'll get 20 ex-Anderson employees building their own stuff with equal quality? Maybe they'll start their own company. With a little media attention they might still sell as good.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM

That does sound a bit like the end of Anderson Guitarworks. Because I don't how he will be able to hold on to all his endorsees?

Regards

André

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Maybe Ibanez should strike while the iron is hot and grab the ex-anderson folks wholesale and open their USA-custom shop!

Hey - Someone was gonna say it
jono is online  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Maybe Ibanez should strike while the iron is hot and grab the ex-anderson folks wholesale and open their USA-custom shop!

Hey - Someone was gonna say it
Nice idea I didn't even think of that .

Regards

André

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
What in the world?! He really doesn't give the real explanation. He leaves so much out. There has to be more to it than a guy selfishly wants to make guitars all by himself instead of being the "boss". If that were the case he'd take on a partner to run the operations, and then offer "Tom-built" private reserve style guitars while still doing the mini factory production runs. There seems to be plenty of ways for him to have his cake and eat it, too.
Frank, I thought the same exact thing. There has to be more to it, otherwise he is really screwing the 20+ people that work for him. Hey guys, you're all fired, I'm just sick of being the boss. That doesn't make any sense at all, he could easily get around that.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

i'd like to be one of the lucky ones waiting on an axe from him now.. might have a reall collectable.

he might have good workers and all but running your own business is taxing mentally and physically and it sounds like he lost the joy of Tom Anderson guitars and is going back to the garage operation. Just things like tax forms, health insurance for workers, regulations, waste, marketing dept, etc. blah.

i credit him with making the move as it goes against the status quo and the corporate first mentality that runs many people decisions.... glen
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Just seems like it would have been pretty easy to grab the smartest employee and say, now you're the admin guy, I'm going down on the line and building some guitars. Or even hiring someone to deal with all that and cutting back or laying off one other employee for the good of the other 20. Ultimately though, it's his name on the headstock.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

his name/company.... which is why anything else than he's comfortable with is not any easier and invites trouble... the guy is at a point he doesn't want a "shop" and i think he earned that ... glen

Tags
acoustic guitar , custom shop , custom shop guitar , fender custom shop , ibanez models , john suhr , strat style , strat style guitar , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode