End of an era (aka the gutting of a collection) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

End of an era (aka the gutting of a collection)

Well, out of the blue, my PGM10th that I got from Gilky sold on the 'bay last night for $2100. I means the mega sale is basically done (short of two guitars fellow jemsiters are interested in that I wasn't planning on selling but sometimes you say why not).

I am down to one PGM. A 401 which has now become my MIDI guitar for my Roland GR-55. I was up to 10 PGM's at one point (having 2 PGM10th's). I was up to 45 guitars. I don't regret it having that many, honestly. It got to the point where it felt like I was hoarding them...well, true for all my guitars. I mean, the XV500. It was cool to have but I wasn't gonna do shows with it, not doing studio work with it and if I went back to NYC studio with it, they would probably stab me with it until they couldn't stab it further pass the 12th fret <bah-dump dump crash> .

Overall I did make a little money. I did two trades where one worked out fantastic (Thanks to Mass Hysteria for the Parker) and one not so great (Thanks to velocity but the Jackson didn't work out and it's not his fault. I probably should have hoofed it down to the GC and tried one out.)

I now await my Carvin summer to begin but I still have 12 (possibly soon to be 10) Ibby's in the collection. I'm surprised it's basically over. I had some speed bumps in selling (2nd, 3rd, 4th thoughts etc, wife saying don't sell the PGM200, selling the 200 and getting it back in a trade, poor dead boss buying it and giving it back as a gift (Miss ya, Tim....btw, he was still alive when he did that. He's not a zombie or anything) and the JCustom blues). I don't regret buying them and I don't regret selling them. I think of Rick Neilsen of Cheap Trick who said "They're just wire and wood. If they get crushed or something, have insurance and buy more guitars". Plus, how can you NOT love a man who treats late 50's Gibsons (guitars some men would sell their children for) like toys and just rock out on stage with them and not caring what happens?

So, here we are. One person told me that my abandoning Ibanez was the real rapture, which made me laugh a hearty laugh. I never said goodbye. I just welcomed other friends into the family. Peoples tastes in guitars change. I used to be rosewood and bolt-ons and flashy colors and stock company guitars. Now I'm all ebony boards, neck thru's and natural wood or toned down colors and customs. There's still some flash and wacky graphics in the collection but it's more how they play than what they look like.

ok, I've bored you all enough. I lied on one thing tho. I do regret the 10th is going but I understand its better to let it go. For one simply reason. Goldurned middle pickups I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Re: End of an era (aka the gutting of a collection)

Soooo...how long until you make a similar post on the Carvin forum after hoarding 45 of them in roughly half a year?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:51 AM

It's all part of the journey. I'm sure you'll miss a guitar or two in time to come but there will be plenty more including the Carvins that will follow. Sometimes when you have a big guitar collection and you're buying a lot of guitars in it's the thrill of the chase and no sooner have you got a new guitar you've another one coming in or lined up. It's a hard habit to break.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Soooo...how long until you make a similar post on the Carvin forum after hoarding 45 of them in roughly half a year?
I don't think I'll ever get to 45 Carvins. There's simply not enough to differentiate most models. 1 V220 will surely be enough.

Tags
end of an era

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode