EP9 - is it a blem? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

EP9 - is it a blem?

I just picked up an EP9 at my local guitar center. It was a sweet deal for A stock but I suspect it is a factory 2nd (B stock) but I cannot confirm this. No one at Ibanez will answer my emails. The guitar plays pretty good, as much as I could expect from a stock setup but there is some problems with the rosette. My biggest concern as a collector is I believe it is marked as B stock but I can't find ANY documentation. I have included a link to the image from the back of the neck. it appears to be a trash can with and X through it, like don't throw it away. I can't imagine this would be on an A stock guitar. Here is the pic. I am probably going to return it based on this assumption but if anyone could clarify I would greatly appreciate it.

http://staff.washington.edu/dkoemans/IMG_1048.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Re: EP9 - is it a blem?

I can't tell you whether you got an "a" or "b" item but I can tell you the trash can's got nothing to do with it.

It has to do with this..... A lot of manufacturers are now trying to discourage people from improperly disposing of electrical or electronic components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoHS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Every time i go to GC everything looks like b-stock, some times i wonder if thats all they carry lol.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 AM

That's so funny because I was just talking to a guy at work today who said we get that call every once in awhile. Someone will ask "what does that trash can mean?" and "does the X through it mean that it's passed inspection?" I was amazed. It's a new directive for the European Union and it's having all kinds of ridiculous side effects, like we have to test certain metals and metal plating to see if miniscule ammounts of some element will leak out over time if it's thrown out and ends up in a landfill. So you end up with some silly things, like you can't use the solder you want to use, you have to use lead free, etc.

Why the heck a guitar would have to post that it's RoHS compliant I'll never know. I guess it's about the preamp/electronics, but I would think they could post it on there. Oh well, it would probably scrape off pretty easily if you didn't like it. It doesn't affect you at resale.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 AM

Come on guys! Ibanez is a planet-friendly company!

That's pretty cool!

+ everyone here is relieved to know that his guitar is not a "B stock".

Or maybe my JC is a "B Stock"?!? No way!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post

Why the heck a guitar would have to post that it's RoHS compliant I'll never know. I guess it's about the preamp/electronics, but I would think they could post it on there. Oh well, it would probably scrape off pretty easily if you didn't like it. It doesn't affect you at resale.
Most guitars have solder as well as a small "cap" or two..... hence the RoHS concerns.

Tags
local guitar center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode