Epi Les Paul - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Epi Les Paul

Lately I've been thinking about getting a Les Paul. I don't really want to buy used. Is the $500 epi THAT much worse than it's gibson counterpart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 09:34 AM

Not when you consider the nearly $2000 price difference. I think that in that particular price range, the Epi Les Paul is a good buy. Of course, the quality of many guitars in that price range seems to have come up considerably over the past few years, so there are now many solid options out there. But my brother has an Epi Les Paul that he absolutely loves, and he's one of those music school types
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 AM

I recently bought one of these LP 'Xtremes'

It seems really well made and solid, and sounds pretty nice too. For 199 I'm well pleased with it
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM

I think the general consensus is that Epis are a bit more hit and miss in terms of quality control. So I've played some incredible Epis, and some that feel completely shoddy. So definately try them out rather than order on-line.

-Ben
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 12:05 PM
x2n

hmm

Hey,
Beastoflove isnt that how most Korean guitars are? hit an miss? I sometimes think that maybe the case, but then again I think no matter where the guitar is manufactured there will always be a bad few in the bunch.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 07:51 PM

I agree with Sitting Duck. The difference of price between the Gibson LP and its EPI little brother and not so much consistant in terms of quality : the EPI are honnest guitars and in my opinion Gibson certainly makes bigger controls than other most of the other guitar firms. The sole thing that may be "unsufficient" is the pickups : you may easily have a great sound by changing them with "real" PAF. But don't forget one thing : Gibson would gain in quality when the years go passing by whereas the EPI would not.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:26 PM

The Epiphone quality is identical to Gibson in terms of body & neck construction. For a while, I knew a guy who worked as a setup tech for Gibson. He said the body & necks found on Gibsons & Epi in the last 10 years of production are IDENTICAL. The only difference is Epiphones have cheaper electronics & photoflames finishes, plus they cost less since they are made overseas.

You could buy an Epi & just slap your choice of pups in there. BOOM! Instant Les Paul. Personally, I don't care if the top is photoflame or real wood. It's all for looks anyway. The main reason you should love a guitar is for the tone & the feel. An Epi will deliver that at a fraction of the cost.

Example:
My friend has 4 Epi Les Paul Customs (all loaded with EMG Zakk Wylde set). Compared to the Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul I tried, my friend's Epis play just as good. Let's do the math...
$3600 for the Zakk Wylde Sig model
vs.
$600 for an Epi Les Paul Custom (that's SIX of these for the cost of ONE)

Given the info above, it's a no brainer.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 AM

Definitely try before you buy!! I agree with the quality control comment earlier. I had a fairly spendy epiphone Les Paul Custom Limited that had a mis-set neck and some really crappy tuners. The guys at the guitar store either had as little clue as I did at the time or they saw me coming a mile away. I just assumed that for $1300 you would get a guitar that didn't need to be messed with! The frets had to be pulled and the board leveled just so I could sell it. And at that, it was still a band-aid fix. So once again, try before you buy!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

If I was able to try them out, I wouldn't have posted this thread.

I'm stuck with ordering online. Does Musician's Friend have a policy where I can return the guitar if it's shoddy quality?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:00 AM

I think Musician's Friend does have a policy like that. I recall a story where some recording artists purchased some Marshall amps to use in the studio then just returned them by the month's end when they were done recording.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger

I'm stuck with ordering online. Does Musician's Friend have a policy where I can return the guitar if it's shoddy quality?
Taken directly from the MF home page...
"And to ensure your complete satisfaction, our 45-day best price guarantee lets you rest assured you made the best possible purchase!"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
The Epiphone quality is identical to Gibson in terms of body & neck construction. For a while, I knew a guy who worked as a setup tech for Gibson. He said the body & necks found on Gibsons & Epi in the last 10 years of production are IDENTICAL. The only difference is Epiphones have cheaper electronics & photoflames finishes, plus they cost less since they are made overseas.

You could buy an Epi & just slap your choice of pups in there. BOOM! Instant Les Paul. Personally, I don't care if the top is photoflame or real wood. It's all for looks anyway. The main reason you should love a guitar is for the tone & the feel. An Epi will deliver that at a fraction of the cost.

Example:
My friend has 4 Epi Les Paul Customs (all loaded with EMG Zakk Wylde set). Compared to the Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul I tried, my friend's Epis play just as good. Let's do the math...
$3600 for the Zakk Wylde Sig model
vs.
$600 for an Epi Les Paul Custom (that's SIX of these for the cost of ONE)

Given the info above, it's a no brainer.
About six years ago The music store around the corner from me had an epi Les Paul. The fret ends were very poorly dressed and the fretboard was about 1/32 up off the body at the twelfth fret. (I could stick my thumbnail under it) I don't know how old it was at the time but it turned me off!! I currently own an epi accoustic so I'm not against the Korean guitars, I just believe you have to hold a guitar in your hands before you can make a call. My nephew by the way had 2001 epi Les Paul and I loved it! Better tone than my '76 LPCustom. Go figure.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 AM

If you buy used, and are patient, you could get a Classic for around $1000. You can probably find a used Studio for around 600-700. Otherwise, I'd go for an MIJ Tokai (or Greco, Orville, BUrny, etc). You'd get a much better guitar than the Epi, IMHO, and get the traditional headstock to boot...unless you got an MIJ Epi.
Greg
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 09:52 AM

Buying used is a good option. I also just read an article in the new issue of French magazine GUITAR PART comparing a Gibson LP and the Epiphone Elite LP. The latter is made in Japon and really has good features compared to its bigger Gibson brother. As to the pickups, the sound is a bit less defined than those of a Gibson but much better than the usual EPI.

Tags
epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul custom , korean guitar , les paul , les paul custom , marshall amp , music store , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode