Epiphone "Slash" Les Paul - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Epiphone "Slash" Les Paul

Has anyone ever played one of these? *I am not looking for a $3000 Les Paul, but they look kind of cool, and seem relatively affordable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:56 AM

I've played three at length because I too have thought of buying one from time to time. Here's what I think:

The coolest thing about the Epi Slash LP is the black hardware - it looks great. Unfortunately, the quality's no better than the Korean hardware on the rest of the Epi line, which places it squarely in the mediocre. The pups on these puppies date from before the introduction of the "USA Designed Alnico V" pickups Epiphone are putting in their LPs now, so they're basically appalling. The flame is a veneer, but it looks good. The snake on the body is a decal, and it looks cool from 5 or more feet away. The neck is exactly the same as every Epi LP Classic neck - a biggish (compared to a Wizard profile) "V" shape that's actually a little smaller than the average Gibson neck. Basically, these guitars are really just Epiphone Les Paul Classics with some cosmetic enhancements. The last time I was looking at one, I dragged the Epi LP Classic I owned at the time into the store with me to do a little comparison, and excepting the finish and decal, they were identical on all counts. The bottom line is that they have about as much in common with a real Les Paul as an RG 260 has with a Jem...

That being said, I'd encourage anyone interested in trying out the Les Paul thing to get an Epi to play with for a while - they give you an idea of what a real LP will feel and play like without the huge $$$ outlay a Gibo demands. I'm glad I didn't buy a Gibson, because in the end I much prefer my beautiful Alvarez Summit to any Gibson Les Paul I've played (and I've played a few, including Jimmy Page & Joe Perry models, and a 25/50). I wanted a Gibson LP for a long time, but I don't want one any more...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

See, I know it's an inferior guitar, but I think I may try one out. *I don't think I could go wrong for under $200!

Thanks for the info!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 01:45 PM

Hey Kirk,

If you find one with a good resonating body when played acoustically then it's worth buying and modding it. However I would recommend to replace the electronics and the hardware completeley. But that makes still a good LP for about $500-550 which still costs very much less than the real thing and is damn' close to the real thing. Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

What is the problem with the hardware? *

Bad bridge? *Tuners?

I ususally wind up swapping the pickups out anyhow, so that isn't really an issue.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:45 PM

The tunners are vintage crap. Gibson uses the same things on some of there models and charges like $60 bucks for them when they could put a set of grovers on for $20 less. Can anyone explain their logic? If plastic buttons really that important to the guitars looks the put the on a good set of tunners.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:42 AM

Reviews: 2

Wouldn't the 7 string classic be more interesting. plus you can buy black hardware for it at wd music products.

The Slash Les paul always looked cheesy to me with that snake on it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:13 AM

I have owned an Epi-Les Paul for many years. It always was and still is a very nice playing guitar. Even after I broke the neck and had it repaired. :biggrin: I found that replacing the Pickups with something a bit more extravagant made a big difference. Even with the upgrade the price is real cheap.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:57 PM

I'm back...

Ah... yes the tuners... right, they're crap. I mean of course you could fix the problem with graphite on the nut and winding the strings and so on, but the moment will come soon where you bend the string and the tuner gets loose too.

And the bridge... the strings break easily on some of them, because the saddles have realy sharp edges. Besides that they don't feel like the real thing metalwise. But, never mind the bridge has the last prio. The electronics and the tuning machines are definetley prio-1.

Good luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, bidding went into a sniping war, and me with a 37k connection couldn't get more than two "shots" in at the guitar. *

I am going to take a leap of faith, I am buying a new one, and the price is great, so if I don't like it, I'll probably be able to off it without losing.

There seems to be a 50/50 split on this one, so I'll see what is up with it.

I personally like the cheesy snake sticker! *
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:25 PM

Good luck! I hope you'll like it...

Tags
epiphone les paul , gibson les paul , jimmy page , joe perry , les paul , les paul classic , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode