Epiphone Dot - opinions? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Epiphone Dot - opinions?

Anybody have one of these? I'm looking at getting one in Natural finish.

I've been reading those dodgy Harmony Central reviews for this guitar but I get the feeling that most of those people aren't looking at the guitar for the same reasons I am. I'm looking for something for rocky, strummy, noisy rock (like Bowie in 73 - or 2003 for that matter), as well as Larry Carlton style Jazz. It won't be my main guitar, just something to toy around with and make me look cool. Hehehe.

One concern is, I'm rather addicted to single coil sounds - how do I go about altering the guts? Please don't tell me the top or back have to be removed to do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 05:21 AM

I would say go for it, but play a BUNCH of them. Epiphones are hit or miss because of their dodgy quality control, so find that one that has that extra something and weed out the lemons. Just look, you'll know when you find the right one. As far as the pickups go, it might be cool to do a coil split on the bridge pickup for the middle position on the pickup selector. The Epiphone pickups are absolute crap (pop them out and look at them, they sound only a bit better than there assembled) so popping in some new ones may make all the difference. I know it did in my Epiphone LP Standard (DiMazrio super 3 in the bridge did that trick right quick). Look at the DiMazrio "Humbucker from Hell" for those single coil sounds if you are going to swap PUs because they really do emulate those sinlge coil sounds great. Look around man, there is plenty of options and don't be afraid to splurge and buy a used Gibson for the money.
Good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

I hear the 2003 version has Gibson electronics and pickups instead of Samsung.

Tags
bridge pickup , coil split , larry carlton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode