Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

I really want a Les Paul but can't afford a Gibson. So I just want to know if I would get a somewhat similar quality from an Epiphone as I would a Gibson, or if I should just save up for a legit Les Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Save your money, you can pick up a used Studio for not much more than an Epiphone. If you buy an Epi now you wont be happy and you will end up selling it at a loss for a Gibson later and end up paying more in the long run.

EPiphone has inferioir wood, electoronics, hardware, and the God awful headstock, buy the time you replace everything and get a case you wont be much cheaper than some LPs, and you wont get your money back out of it when you try to sell it.

Save your money and consider a Heritage, also.

Last edited by elcid; 03-04-2007 at 11:18 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 PM

Well, our local Epiphone dealer's manager informed me a few days ago that they have reached the point that they reject almost 60% of the Epiphones that the distributor sends them - if you've got the severe Joneses for a balck LP style guitar RIGHT NOW, have a look at the PRS Tremonti SE, otherwise as Elcid says, keep saving yer pennies and get a Gibson Studio, or save a bit more and get a 2nd hand Les Paul Custom - after all, you started by saying that is what you really want!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

How similar is a PRS to a Gibson? I don't NEED to have a Custom, I'd just prefer it. I'm drawn towards the Gibson's because of the classic LP design, the amazingly low factory action, and the overall feel of the guitar. If PRS's offer a somewhat similar feel and sound at a cheaper price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 AM

I think you should pick an Epiphone that is made in Japan. Epiphones are aslo made in China and Korea. Japanese Epiphones are better than the lower end Gibson in my opinion.

Last edited by TongueShredder; 03-05-2007 at 01:04 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 AM

Epiphone Les Paul's are great Guitars, I actually picked one up 2nd hand for $450 (although its a standard, not a custom) but I don't have it yet as I'm paying it off.

$450AUS for a 2nd hand epi lp here is a bargain as epi lp's start from $800 (studios) and around $1000 and up for standards and customs.

the epi lp standards and customs are great players, Go and try one.

I'm thinking of switching the pickups in the epi to Seymour Duncans
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 AM

I have no idea what these go for in the States, but you can get 'em here for $1100AUD - which means that you should pick one up for about half that in $USD:

http://www.prsguitars.com/tremontise/index.html

I know Tremonti is not exactly everyone's favourite guitarist - but these are stupid-good for the money!

If you can find a genuine Japanese Epi LP Custom - I'd jump at it - they even had the correct Gibson headstock shape, not the unfortunate "oooh, we couldn't decide whether we wanted the traditional Epi shape, or a Gibson shape, so we finally decided just to screw it up totally" shape of the current Epis - but current Korean/Chinese Epis are wildly inconsistent quality and feel wise - which means you just can't trust buying one from a Net Shop.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 AM

Look at Edwards LPs and Tokai LPs too - both great for the money. There are good Epiphones out there, but you need to find a good one. Don't gamble by mail order, you need to try it first.

A good Epi with changed electrics and pickups makes a great guitar. I have one as my main gigging axe.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Look at Edwards LPs.....
+1000. Edwards certainly is worth to look at.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Woahh too much fake abalone.. I guess there are MANY LP copys out there some good some bad.

I liked the Kramers, which seem to be sold out and Michael Kelly. As far as the Epi's go watch what you buy. Some have laminated bodies while others have full mahogany bodies. I had a custom once and it was quite nice, felt nice, played nice. No complaints.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueShredder View Post
+1000. Edwards certainly is worth to look at.

Ewww....LOL

I agree with elcid. You can get a nice Studio LP for cheap these days.

Tags
epiphone les paul , headstock shape , les paul , les paul custom , michael kelly , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode