ERG rant - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

ERG rant

All these people who constantly knock down ideas and innovations such as an 8 string guitar are totally narrow minded.

You are also the same people said the same things about 7 strings when they started being produced on a regular basis. (And the same was said about 5 string basses and 6 string basses for that matter.)

"What do you need a seventh/eighth string for?"

Progress stunting traditionalists....

If you feel your vision is maxed out by playing a standard 6 string guitar, then stay where you are comfortable, and limit your point of view only to what you know.

Those of us who wish to test our own playing ability and boundary's will play an instrument with more voicing, to further advance our knowledge and abilty to write and create new forms of music.
Not get intimidated by it and immediately shun the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Re: ERG rant

Who's wound you up, then?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm3sx View Post
All these people who constantly knock down ideas and innovations such as an 8 string guitar are totally narrow minded.

You are also the same people said the same things about 7 strings when they started being produced on a regular basis. (And the same was said about 5 string basses and 6 string basses for that matter.)

"What do you need a seventh/eighth string for?"

Progress stunting traditionalists....

If you feel your vision is maxed out by playing a standard 6 string guitar, then stay where you are comfortable, and limit your point of view only to what you know.

Those of us who wish to test our own playing ability and boundary's will play an instrument with more voicing, to further advance our knowledge and abilty to write and create new forms of music.
panties in a bunch much?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I agree.

However, I don't really have a problem with the people that shoot down the idea of Extended Range guitars, because what they feel about them doesn't effect the way I feel about them.

I've written music on 7 string guitars out of necessity for the 7th string. Those pieces of music can't be performed without one. Does that also mean that the music in question is "stupid" and "useless"? Well, if you choose to feel so strongly over something that was created by another human being, I won't stop you, but you also won't stop me. Or the poster that started this thread.. so does it matter? I don't think so.

I think its the older guys on this site that are more likely to denounce ERGs. If you have trouble with that, try being highly interested in metaphysics/non-fundamental-spirituality and living with a 75 year old conservative Christian woman. All I'm saying is that the younger generations have been pushing traditional boundaries since the 60's, and its no mystery that ERGs are embraced by us "free thinking satanic youngsters", and shunned by those "lame old strat ****ers".

..and just as an additional illustration - saying that 7 or 8 stringed guitars are useless to a guitarist is almost like saying that a piano is useless to a guitarist. This idea rings true for myself at least, because any guitar with more than 6 strings truly feels and inspires like a different instrument altogether.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM

comparing a baritone scale 8 string guitar to a regular guitar is like comparing a Guitar to a Banjo...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
comparing a baritone scale 8 string guitar to a regular guitar is like comparing a Guitar to a Banjo...
or apples to oranges.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Golly gee Mister, I wish I was as awesome as you think you are, but unfortunately, I only have 6 string guitars at the moment. Thanks for the tip though, if I ever need to inflate my ego and blow smoke up my own arse i'll buy an extended range guitar, then i'll be able to "further advance my knowledge and abilty to write and create new forms of music." There's no way i'd ever be able to do that with "only" 6 strings.

Quote:
And your comments were open minded? Your extended range elitism is just as bad if not worse than the crap you are complaining about.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM

HeavyMetal4Ever - chill out. You just made yourself look like a fool. He's talking about a musical instrument, and he's talking about making advancements within a field of study that involves extended range guitars. Him making his claims has more to do with rivaling idiots like yourself that denounce ERG's than it does arrogance. For some reason, you're short fused enough that something like this fires you up and calls for a childish, ignorant rebuttle. Relax. Learn to hear people out.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

I don't see anything wrong with what HM4Ever said. As far as I'm concerned the OP posted a 'rant' that was condescending to 6-string players, so he had a reply like that coming.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only a handful of well-known players that use more than 6 strings, and the majority of them tune down to C (or something like that) and play a bunch of powerchords... hardly 'testing ability and boundarys'

Frankly I see nothing wrong with playing more than 6 strings, but the way he came across left a lot to be desired.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 PM

The original post was a blatant troll.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM

Yup..
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Actually, you guys are right - I missed this one line, which was a mistake...

Quote:
Seriously, buddy. What are you trying to prove? That you're as equally narrow-minded as those you criticize? You don't need more strings to expand your playing ability. Besides, your point of view is ALWAYS limited to what you know. Never any more... how could your point of view include what you don't know without you being considered a complete idiot?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Dee

Don't forget to dye your hair black and stick it as flat as possible to your face while playing your "ERG". It helps tone no end and maybe the sound engineer won't be so pissed off because he can't tell what's a bass and what's a guitar anymore... err, I mean a "ERG".
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Angels View Post
Actually, you guys are right - I missed this one line, which was a mistake...
Yeah, we all make mistakes. No hard feelings, you fool.

Rock on!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
...Progress stunting traditionalists...
While I don't care for 8-string guitars personally, its not because I am a progress stunting traditionalist. Honestly I find them fascinating. There is something very exotic about an 8-string guitar, especially fan-fret beauties like this...

If someone can play an 8-string and make practical use out of all 8 strings, they absolutely have my respect...because I for one can barely take full advantage of 6-strings.

If however you have 8-strings and find life stops below the low-E string (Which I believe may quite often be the case) you are doing it wrong.

Tags
erg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode