ERUGH!!! Finally!! But.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

ERUGH!!! Finally!! But....

well three months down the line i get back from work and theres a bloody great box waiting for me... wait bloody great box big enough to fit a guitar!? holly SH*T!!! finally my RGT42DXBP(man thats a mouth full) is here and i have to say damn!!!! it plays nice!!! sounds real good (though ive only played it through headphones so far since i got back at arround 10pm-ish but im glad its here... i had to wait so damn long for this to get shipped in.

But, whilst it's literally brand new (it probally wasnt built when i ordered it lol!) there are some minor things wrong with it such as a small area of white powdery stuff on the top of the neck right next to the neck pup, whilst its a very small area it dosent seem to want to come off when i scratch it with my fingernail.

also there are what appear to be a few very small black/dark brown scuff marks on the binding on the top of the neck.

Plus on the trem right next to where you insert the whammy bar there are three or four small but significant scraches/dents in the the metal, also the whammy dosent appear to have the small plastic washers on it that keep the wang in a set position and im sure that it was meant to have this

and also the signal occasionally shorts out, for instance when i first plugged it in (not a good first impression)

overall im happy with the guitar but in the few hours ive had the guitar these small things have really pissed me off, ive waited ages for this guitar and to have it turn up with these albeit minor defects but defects none the less is quite annoying, this is the first guitar i have bought brand new and was a present to myself for getting on my music course & because i was going through an emotional low point....

so, im going to ring the shop tomorrow but what should i aim for? a new guitar? id hate to wait another three months for another one. or i could ask them to refund some of my money...

i dont know what to do here really, any suggestions would be great.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Re: ERUGH!!! Finally!! But....

You might want to give that guitar shop a call. No brand new guitar should have problems with the electronics. I wouldn't bother waiting another three months for another guitar. If it the problems really bother you, I'd just get a refund or return it in exchange for another one. The RGT42 is a nice guitar but for a bit more you can probably get a new RG1570 or even a used Jem/J-Custom.

Btw, the white powdery stuff is most likely buffing compound. You can generally remove that easily. I've seen things like that even on brand new prestiges. I guess quality control goes out the door when they're back logged with orders.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 AM

Sorry to here that man, Get a refund like Buddroyce said and shop around somewhere else. www.ibanezrules.com.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Sorry to here that man, Get a refund like Buddroyce said and shop around somewhere else. www.ibanezrules.com.
Though the guitar+shipping cost will swallow your pocket.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Though the guitar+shipping cost will swallow your pocket.
yeah and i need to pinch every penny with the possibility of a 8 string ibanez on the way (i hope)

well ive sorted the 'swinging' trem arm problem, but the thing with the electronics happened twice in the hour i stayed up to play it (would have been longer but i was knackered) and then again this morning when i got up, i then played my 7 and my ESP and they were fine so its defently the guitar not my Amp/Leads.... bugger

im gunna give them a ring as soon as i get back from work... which is now, oh dear, must run
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 10:55 AM
m0p

Take the electronics cover/pickguard (if it's front routed) off and check for bad wiring. If it's something as simple as a dud pot you could probably get it fixed real cheap, or if you can solder you could do it yourself in a minute.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Yeah, you could check the wiring yourself, but then you have the dented trem, too... and the scuff marks, and the white stuff....

You paid top quid for a brand new guitar, you should get your money's worth...!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

also another thing ive noticed is theres sort of an indent in the binding on the top of the first fret, like the fret board is to small for that part of the neck.

i never rang the shop in the end, i thought, nah im just being fussy but now i think i will, but the problem is ive already put some EMG's in there, plus its not the shops fault, more ibanez's...

well ill ring the shop for advice but, i kind of think they might just say something like "oh well you tinkered with it mate, nothing we can do"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Sadly enough they will definitely say "sorry mate, you've tinkered with it"!

I was going to say your intermittent signal issue could well be slight dirt and/or corrosion on the output socket - contact cleaner and fine abrasive paper wrapped aound a pencil, then, er, thrusted vigorously into the socket and twirled a few times should solve that - but if you've put EMGs into her, the socket has been changed, no?

Bit of a pity to see issues like that on a brand new Ibanez, they used to be pretty much the best major manufacturer concerning detail. How times change!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
Sadly enough they will definitely say "sorry mate, you've tinkered with it"!

I was going to say your intermittent signal issue could well be slight dirt and/or corrosion on the output socket - contact cleaner and fine abrasive paper wrapped aound a pencil, then, er, thrusted vigorously into the socket and twirled a few times should solve that - but if you've put EMGs into her, the socket has been changed, no?

Bit of a pity to see issues like that on a brand new Ibanez, they used to be pretty much the best major manufacturer concerning detail. How times change!
well the problem is no longer the wiring, ive sorted that out, its the various dents and smudges on the body im worried about, now whilst they wont affect how it plays its anoying to have a brand new guitar with these defects.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 34

Whilst I understand that you wanted to commision the guitar straight away, I would have definately taken issue with the shop immediately upon seeing the flaws, before I started modding. Can you replace the original pickups and give them a call?

It seems that many people are unhappy with the quality of their guitar purchases. I feel that if something is bought new, it should be just that. No dings, no marks, no missing trem bushes, no crackling electrics. The shop is your only point of contact with Ibanez, and I am sure that they would have some kind of protocol for defective goods.

I have seen people come into the guitar shop I frequent with really petty stuff about leads, or the fact that their son can't turn on their wah pedal (wasn't standing on it hard enough), they always look at all those issues considerately. Whenever I get a set up, my tech always asks me if it is okay. It always is, but it is good that he asks me. When you have a legitimate issue with something you have bought that is that expensive, I think that you should be on the phone straight away.

I don't wish to preach and I feel genuine sympathy for you, but the only way Ibanez will get better on this is if we are all more selective.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

well i was down near the shop since i was visiting a mate at uni so i poped in there with my guitar explained the situation and got it swaped for another RGT42 there and then, they were very helpfull and understanding... well im doing all my guitar shopping there from now on...

looks like my episode with 'the ibanez from hell' is over.. now i just need to re-fit those EMG's

EDIT: ive just thought, 'the ibanez from hell' would be a great name for this guitar, even though its not the original hell sent guitar it's still relivent.... quite a Dimebag name aswell
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. S
well i was down near the shop since i was visiting a mate at uni so i poped in there with my guitar explained the situation and got it swaped for another RGT42 there and then, they were very helpfull and understanding... well im doing all my guitar shopping there from now on...

looks like my episode with 'the ibanez from hell' is over.. now i just need to re-fit those EMG's

EDIT: ive just thought, 'the ibanez from hell' would be a great name for this guitar, even though its not the original hell sent guitar it's still relivent.... quite a Dimebag name aswell
That's cool, I am glad it worked out. And it seems your local shop is a good one, lucky you!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
That's cool, I am glad it worked out. And it seems your local shop is a good one, lucky you!
problem is its not my local one, this one is a long train jorney away (but worth it) there were three guitar shops in my town.

one (thats now shut down) had nice guitars some higher end ibanez's some prs and esp ltd's and some damn nice acoustics, but they were rude as hell... "wow, can i play that guitar?" "are you going to buy it???" "uh.... i dont know... i might... but not from you guys now" that said i did get my own back by shredding on a K7 for over an hour before getting kicked out, i also got my EMG ZW set from there for £130 when they were closing down.

another sells cheap guitars made from plywood (not really, just loads of ripoff teles and strtats)

and the only other real guitar shop is massively expensive and annoying.. what £30 and two to three weeks to get some pickups put in my guitar?? NO! WAY! £1 each for a plectrum!!!!! ERUGH!!!

moral: shop arround then go to coda music, great service, friendly guys, lovely shop with lots of great guitars.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 AM

Congratz and enjoy .

Regards

André

Tags
david mccarroll , fret board , guitar shop , neck pup , trem arm , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode