Are Esp 7 strings any good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Are Esp 7 strings any good?

Hey i an interested in picking up a Rg 7620 / Cheap UV / or Cheap K7

I was looking on Evilbay and they have alot of ESP 7 strings. Now do any of you guys have any experience when them? do they even compare to the guitars listed above?

Thanks for your time

Dew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:12 PM

ESP hardtails are good from what I've heard, but nothing beats a Lo-Pro-7 (Ibanez) for floating trems.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:40 AM

I agree with TwoHands...

I have owned a couple of them, and the bridges are a 7-stg. version of an Original Floyd style floating bridge. But they always feel kinda...I don't know...not sloppy. Just kinda tight and not really as smooth as the Edge of Ibanez. They kinda fight you in both directions. On the other hand, I have had 2 of the hardtail/tunematic ones, both Horizon styles, and they were pretty cool. One was an ESP, one was an LTD. The LTD played equally as well, though it had a rather uneven fingerboard which I had taken care of.

In short, the Ibanez Edge trems have been very reliable for me, and always really comfy and all that. Great bridge...
I haven't taken the dive and tried the new ones yet. I'm kinda a gear snob and wish i could still get the old fashioned Edge. The one before everyone went Lo-Pro...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 AM

I just bought an M-107 with the fixed bridge, and I'm actually liking it more than my Universe! I say this because even though the Edge/Lo-Pro Edge trem's ARE nice, I'm just getting sick of having to deal with the headaches involved with a Floyd Rose. And whatever you do, DO NOT try to intonate a Floyd Rose by yourself. That is THE BIGGEST pain in the nuts. The fixed bridge is nice where if a string snaps, you can still finish the song without the whole guitar going out of tune, you'll get more sustain from the strings going through the body, and re-stringing is MUCH easier than a Floyd. And as far as my ESP goes, I'm dropping in a set of EMG 707's, for the thickest chunk around. I've painted a white stripe around the body & headstock to look like Dino Cazares' first Custom Shop Ibanez (hehehehe)! I'm starting to like the ESP's better overall, considering Ibanez keeps putting out the same ol stuff year after year.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 01:04 AM

You can thank Dino now for another option. Emg now offers the 81-7 which is an 81 in a 7-string configuration. I've gotten one and I like it, though it's a bit harsh in the neck. Back when Dino was using different prototypes of EMGs, he had a couple guitars outfitted with these, and actually, went back to what became the 707. The 707 is a cross between the 85 and the 81 if I remember right. The 707 has been much more fun for me. It's warmer and alot easier to get a great chunk, without going to the "scoop" sound. With the low B string, this midrange is helpful. The 81 seems to lose its definition on the low string.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:42 AM
dex

ESP makes great guitars, LTD not so great but comparable to the RG7321 in quality.
ESP floating bridges are tight but that makes them much easyer to play while holding the bar and when you get used to that the EDGE/Lo Pro EDGE feel very spongy and difficult to control.

If you want a fixed bridge you can get a brand new RG7321 for little over $350

ilia
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 AM

I'd go for the ESP personally, because they look cooler to me . The issue of different floyd models/feel doesn't concern me. Floyd Rose can bite me .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 01:01 AM

yea

LTD are no problem just get a higher model. Only thing I don't like about the actual ESP's is they only make 2 of them and they are signature models and you can't get a trem. Might as well just get a custom shop if you want a real ESP, and the pricing would be around the same. The new Ibanez's are cheap in price, but I don't like the Prestige headstock (I like the silver logo w/ the checkmark).

Tags
custom shop , dino cazares , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , floating bridges , floating trems , floyd rose , ibanez edge trem , pro edge , pro edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode