ESP Carpenter 7 stringer... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

ESP Carpenter 7 stringer...

Im interested in picking up the old, discontinued ESP (NOT LTD, similar to the current ESP SC 6 string) Stephen Carpenter 7 string model. Does anyone know any sites with information on this guitar and/or are selling one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 08:38 PM

Re: ESP Carpenter 7 stringer...

Well, have you checked out espguitars.com or the ESP discussion board?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Well, have you checked out espguitars.com or the ESP discussion board?
yes and no.

the ESP Guitars website doesn't have anything since they discontinued it around this time 4 years ago, and I won't be returning to the ESP Forum after using it for a couple of months in 2003.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 PM

I use to own one of these actually.

Very nice guitar and great for heavy metal. Since it is made of Alder it is lighter than air which is unusual for a 7-string. The blank Ebony fingerboard and black body with the mother-of-pearl binding is to die for. Too bad it didn't work out for me. There are 2 reasons I sold mine:

* First, the neck width and radius is big... if you have big hands it shouldn't be much of a problem, but I have smaller hands . I found that I had to reach for the 7th string occasionally depending on my playing position. Just as a reference, I have the RGT3120 which has the Ultra neck profile and for me that is comfortable, so it is fairly larger than that.

* Second, I just could not get comfortable with the arch-top. Guess combined height of the arch and bridge was just too high for my playing technique.

I originally got mine second-hand through eBay after actively monitoring for it over the course of several months. The only advise I can give is to watch eBay and the like for one... they are hard to find, but it seems that one pops up every year.

Chris
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:37 PM

Damn darkstar....that was a beauty of a guitar you had there!

My main axe is an ESP LTD SC-607 in 2-tone burst. Oh how I love it! I really wish they'd make a 25.5" scale neck-thru with a reversed headstock. I'd be in heaven.

My guitar (I'll pics of my actual guitar soon)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar
I use to own one of these actually.

Very nice guitar and great for heavy metal. Since it is made of Alder it is lighter than air which is unusual for a 7-string. The blank Ebony fingerboard and black body with the mother-of-pearl binding is to die for. Too bad it didn't work out for me. There are 2 reasons I sold mine:

* First, the neck width and radius is big... if you have big hands it shouldn't be much of a problem, but I have smaller hands . I found that I had to reach for the 7th string occasionally depending on my playing position. Just as a reference, I have the RGT3120 which has the Ultra neck profile and for me that is comfortable, so it is fairly larger than that.

* Second, I just could not get comfortable with the arch-top. Guess combined height of the arch and bridge was just too high for my playing technique.

I originally got mine second-hand through eBay after actively monitoring for it over the course of several months. The only advise I can give is to watch eBay and the like for one... they are hard to find, but it seems that one pops up every year.

Chris
thanks for the thorough and informative post. the neck does look unusually wide. how wide is it at the nut? the 1.9" of the EB JPM im building seems to be comfortable at this point, and i could afford to go a little bigger.

the arch looks fine to me, i play about 25% of the time on an LP.

one per year? ouch.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Damn darkstar....that was a beauty of a guitar you had there!

My main axe is an ESP LTD SC-607 in 2-tone burst. Oh how I love it! I really wish they'd make a 25.5" scale neck-thru with a reversed headstock. I'd be in heaven.

My guitar (I'll pics of my actual guitar soon)
..*cough*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocluejimbo
ESP (NOT LTD) Stephen Carpenter 7 string model.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

well, its finally being replaced. the new model is going to be the ESP Stephen Carpenter HZ-385SC7.

you can find info here: http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3997.htm , but im sure it has 81-7's and not 707's as described.

i won't be picking it up, because i want something with a single coil.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 AM

That black SC 7string is gorgeous! Just what I am after at the minute. Gorgeous guitar that though!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM

Yeah, i always liked those original 7-string SC models. The H-H-S pickup config is super-versatile. And that all-black look with a big blank ebony board is hot.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 PM

Yeah, its mainly that big slab of blank ebony that does it for me - lol!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 PM

I'm so sorry, NoClueJimbo. I wasn't aware that I was dealing with such a sensative soul. My whole reasoning for posting about the LTD was to say that if you couldn't find an actual ESP, the LTD is a great alternative. It's a fine playing axe that shouldn't be overlooked. I guess I should've clarified. <shrug> Carry on.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:07 PM

You can still get the HZ-300SC7, which is the one you're after nocluejimbo, in japan - http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2...ter/index.html
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle-axe
You can still get the HZ-300SC7, which is the one you're after nocluejimbo, in japan - http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2...ter/index.html
Do you know of any companies that can ship one to America?

Quote:
I'm so sorry, NoClueJimbo. I wasn't aware that I was dealing with such a sensative soul. My whole reasoning for posting about the LTD was to say that if you couldn't find an actual ESP, the LTD is a great alternative. It's a fine playing axe that shouldn't be overlooked. I guess I should've clarified. <shrug> Carry on.
I'm so sorry I didn't make it clear in the original post why I wanted the ESP and not the LTD.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 PM

no, sorry dont know of any companies that would ship to america.

Tags
darren wilson , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , heavy metal , reversed headstock , stephen carpenter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode