ESP fret question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

ESP fret question

I played an ESP 7-string not too long ago and the frets actually felt like train-tracks.

This is rich comming from someone who plays Jumbo frets on my Ibanez guitars (i have an RG1550 which i'm guessing has 6100 on it or something), but these ESP frets were huge with a capital H... and U, G and E.

ESP describes them as XJ frets. Would i be right in assumming they were sized like 6000 or something?

Also, can someone tell me what the frets on RG1550/ RG550s etc are? I love the size of those frets. And can someone tell me the difference between Warmoth and Dunlop fret sizes?

Cheers!
Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: ESP fret question

I think the 550's have jumbo frets. I have an ESP with their xj's and they feel better than any Ibanez fret's I've played, in my case they're about just as tall as a 550's maybe a little taller and a little thinner which give more room for fretting in higher registers which I like. Maybe you ran into a bad apple, cause thier XJ frets are definately not train tracks lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone
I think the 550's have jumbo frets. I have an ESP with their xj's and they feel better than any Ibanez fret's I've played, in my case they're about just as tall as a 550's maybe a little taller and a little thinner which give more room for fretting in higher registers which I like. Maybe you ran into a bad apple, cause thier XJ frets are definately not train tracks lol

I played two EP LTD guitars. One 6-string and one 7-string and i just couldn't play on those frets!

They felt really sharp and it was impossible to slide from one fret to the other on one string. Mabye i ran into 2 bad apples or something really unlucky but these frets were ludicrously large and sharp!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Oh and when i ask about the size of 550 etc frets i meant in terms of 6100, 6105 etc etc sorry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Oh and when i ask about the size of 550 etc frets i meant in terms of 6100, 6105 etc etc sorry
Oh I see, sorry I wouldn't know that one. Do you mean sharp on the edges as in a bad fret job, or sharp as in a narrow profile? If so I know what you mean and I like it(narrower profile, not bad fret jobs lol), maybe it's a little more extreme on the guitars you tried.

My frets are like the width of an ibanez medium-jumbo fret but with the height of a extra-jumbo, best I can describe. Sometimes I find Ibanez's jumbo's being to wide, so I definately prefer the thinner ESP one's.

I know what you mean about the sliding, it doesn't flow like a normal slide, like you can feel and hear every note within the silde too pronounced, but I've adapted to playing them and getting the right sound. I did have the very same problem though, going from a fender strat to an Ibanez and then to esp.

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 03-23-2006 at 12:16 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Doesn't the RG550's have standard jumbo frets? 6100 is the standard, 6105 is the medium jumbo frets if I recall correctly?

Regards

André

Tags
fender strat , fret size , ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , medium jumbo frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode