ESP guitars? - good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

ESP guitars? - good?

i like the Eclipse and Vipers, and m models.......are they good?

how much am i looking at for one with a floyd rose tremelo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
ESP guitars?

http://pub2.ezboard.com/bespguitarsmessageboard

That link is for the ESP notice board. It's full of IMHO "foul mouthed individuals" , but they seem to know their stuff so could maybe help out on prices.

Personally, I like ESP's stuff but have heard mixed opinions on the LTD range that are manufactured in Korea. For a "real" ESP I think you're looking at prices starting at just over $1100 for an M-II (rrp $1699) *but the LTD versions of that guitar start at about $400 for one with a floyd licensed copy.

I can't comment on the Viper or Eclipse models, except to say that they start at around the same price for a "real" ESP one. And that I'm not sure about the availability of licensed floyds on the cheaper LTD models

In all truth though, I think rather than a LTD M series guitar, you're better off with an RG550 or RG570 (second hand if needs be)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:33 PM
rgr

ESP guitars?

ESP makes really nice guitars, they feel "tighter" than Ibzs, at least mine do, I have 2 JEMs and an ESP Mirage and ESP Strat. *I can't really say one is better than the other though. *I haven't tried the LTDs but I have heard really good things about them too, George Lynch played a LTD baritone Viper (tuned to Eb though) when he played here a few weeks ago, he did put Duncan USA pups in it, but that's the only change. *He also played a custom ESP M-II that was really sweet.

The Viper and Eclipse are really different guitars from the RGs so I would say go for it. *I would play one first to make sure it's really what you want. *

Roger
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 04:41 AM

ESP guitars?

I traded my first RG-3120 for an M-2 Deluxe that I believe was the same wood combination. (Mahog-Maple top--Maple neck w/rosewood board). *I loved the looks of the guitar but, though I liked it at first, I soon regretted trading my 3120 for it. *The sound was not as resonant and the playability paled in comparison. *I can't honestly tell you why I agreed on the deal. *I can only tell you to play it first.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:03 AM

ESP guitars?

The 2001 ESP catalogue and UK price list just came through my door this morning. Some nice new models in there - I love the look of the MV series, and the Kamikaze 4 is fantastic, if a bit pricy, but I see that the KH2 Relic is priced at 4000. That's just completely ridiculous. I thought the Y2K Ibanez guitars were "a bit steep", but compared to the KH2 Relic, they look like an unmissable bargain.

Perhaps the EVO Relic isn't such a bad idea... :biggrin:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 01:03 PM

ESP guitars?

Every LTD ESP Ive played couldnt hald a match to Ibanez. Now the 2 customes I played were as tight as anyother guitar I can think of. Rock solid in my opinion, but hey thats what your paying the big bucks for.

buzz
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 02:15 PM
rgr

ESP guitars?

Were you comparing LTDs to JEMs? *Not quite a fair comparison. *ESPs feel and sound quite different because of the different woods they use, and the OFR. *I still think they are as good as IBZ, but I haven't played a lower end guitar from either. *

Roger
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 02:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
ESP guitars?

If the ESPs had the Edge/LoPro I would consider their purchase along with or instead of an Ibanez (same price range). Until then I'll never own one, but if you don't mind the OFR they are something to consider ... glen
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 06:58 PM

ESP guitars?

I had a neck thru Esp m-I custom it was nice it sounded really good cause I put dimarzio's in it but the trem sucked it went out of tune all the time so I sold it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:21 AM

ESP guitars?

Had an ESP Kamikazi awhile back and sold it. I have since acquired a JPM 90th which I am now trying to sell in order to attain another Kami. I feel the ESP "Lynch" models are alot better quality than the Ibanezs I've owned which have been all JPMs. The Kamikaze I've owned felt much more solid and well built. Fretwork was much better than my previous Ibanezes. I do however still like Ibanezes, they play great and are a good value. My JPMs all set up so easily. Its easy to get that low, silky smooth action with an Ibanez. In order to get that type of action on my Kami, I took the nut to the machine shop at my work and had them mill about 10 thousandths of an inch off the bottom of it. Now it plays as good as my Ibanezes. I like the lo-pro trems on the Ibanezes in that they'are a very precise unit. *They can be tweaked very precisely and set. I do feel that the Original Floyd unit on my Kami is a much more durable unit though and simple and I prefer that over the lo-pros preciseness. Finish on my old ESP was way better than my Ibanezs, extremely thick paint. *What I don't like about Lynch models is the *humbucker pick-up suck. I put in an Evolution and turned it into a flame-thrower (love those direct mount pu's). Also don't like the fact that you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod on the Kami, but thats the price you pay for having a neck cut from one piece of maple. Don't know much about the other ESP/LTD models and don't care to. *I know what I like and thats good enough for me, But dammit I still like Ibanezes, guess I'll just have to settle for both. BTW, anyone interested in a JPM 90th? Its mint
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 03:06 AM

ESP guitars?

er

(Edited by jem7pbk at 4:09 am on Mar. 25, 2001)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 03:08 AM

ESP guitars?

Hey Jeffery have you seen the new Ltd Kamikazi's they look pretty cool but I bet they feel cheesie

(Edited by jem7pbk at 5:08 am on Mar. 25, 2001)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 03:51 AM

ESP guitars?

I bet your right. Seems like all guitar companys these days are putting out piece-o-sh*t models to some extent.

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremelo , ibanez guitars , maple neck , neck thru , rosewood board , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode