ESP/Jackson Guy converted into an "Ibanez" guy and - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

ESP/Jackson Guy converted into an "Ibanez" guy and

HEY guys, hi. I'm a ESP/Jackson metal shredder kind of guy. Recently, I was going into to guitar center etc... playing Ibanez's and was blown away how much better the middle of the line Ibanez RG models blew the socks off my top of the line ESP. I ended up buying at Ibanez RGT42 in black pearl. I was wondering what your opinions were on this guitar, like on terms of playability , sound, price. I traded my ESP for it. I was just wondering because i have been reading how alot of people have been dissing the LO TRS , is it that bad? I would like you opinions and appreciate them, for now since i am new to ibanez, now im saving up for a JEM! thx, neo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:48 PM

The RGT42 is a step down from the Japanese line, but it's still a fine axe, IMO. A lot of people here will slag the TRS just because it's not an Edge...but if you set up a TRS properly, it will work well under most circumstances. You can't beat an Edge, IMO, but unless you go off on your trem ala Vai, you'll be OK with a TRS.

My advice to you would be to upgrade the pickups...throw a pair of DiMarzios in there and you'll have a really nice guitar.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM

You traded an ESP for it??!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 05:19 PM

Seriously dude, is you traded a top end ESP, lets say 1400 for a guitar that costs 450?!? You could have sold the ESP and bought 3 of that guitar? Why?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

oh i woulda had to sell it on Ebay and the guitar value was already marked down since it was used etc... The RGT42 sells for 599$ down here. oh, i thought it was better than then Ibanez RG1570
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:39 PM

Welcome aboard!

jim
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 AM

esp or ltd?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 AM

Well if the RGT has the new Edge-Pro II, then its fine!
From what I've played and seen, the edge-pro II is WAY better then the TRS in so many different ways. I think the Edge-Pro is a great trem, ad the Pro II isnt so much different then the other IMO!
Quote:
The RGT42 is a step down from the Japanese line, but it's still a fine axe, IMO
I think that more and more the lines between MIJ/MIK are being blurred together. I haven't seen any step up in quailty (prestige neck treatment aside) from Japanese guitars, whereas Korean quailty is simply blowing me away more and more each day.
I work at a Guitar Center. I see every single bass/guitar that comes in our doors. Have you seen the basses coming out of Korea?? UNBELIEVABLE. Guitars the same.

And yes I ask the same question. REAL ESP, or Ltd? If its an LTD, then chances are your RGT was made probably 20 feet away from where your ESP was constructed. (Correct me if I am mis-informed about the place of manufacture for both these brands)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 02:57 PM

i played several ESP LTD and Ibanez guitars the other day at my local music store, the ESP were just horrible...dead spots on the upper frets, tremolo was pathetic, while the ibanez guitars were all wonderful, ESP looks pretty, but plays poorly, is what i'm saying, as my opinion.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindlei
i played several ESP LTD and Ibanez guitars the other day at my local music store, the ESP were just horrible...dead spots on the upper frets, tremolo was pathetic, while the ibanez guitars were all wonderful, ESP looks pretty, but plays poorly, is what i'm saying, as my opinion.
I agree 100%
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 PM

me too!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 10:01 PM

had the same experience as well with esp. never like them too much.. definitely and ibanez guy now
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 AM
dex

Never seen a dud ESP in 12 years.
Seen a few dud LTD but overall - comparable to the Korean line of Ibanez, some bad, some good, some exceptional.
Most of the problems were cosmetic and 99% of LTD and Korean Ibany can be setup to 95% perfection which is more than their core market would ever require.
Also value for money - the guitar you can get for $300 these days is on par with $$$$ guitars of the 80's so I'd say regardless of what your Samick/Cort has writen on the headstock (PRS SE, Ibanez, LTD, Washburn, BC Rich, Peavey, Fender, Epiphone, etc) they are all good guitars.

ilia
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM

I find the quality of most L.T.D's to be terrible. I Customised a mate's LTD MH-100 with EMG Pickups a few weeks ago, and when I took the back plates off to do the work, the inside was poorley put together. the original jackplug was even dry-jointed!!.

As for the neck, it joined the guitar poorly, the strings at the nut were so high, it was near unplayable, and the trem was v.poor in quality and use.

As for the higher L.T.D models, I have to say the same critism applies.

The only good guitar I've seen from LTD is the KH-100 Sig, but for the 1200 Quid pricetag it was about half a grand overpriced.

Try 600 LTD, you jackasses.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 PM

My LTD H1000 is fantastically well made, apart from the fretwork - most of the frets needed some work - and used quality parts, but I'd have to agree that the original retail price was way over the top.

Now I've spent time setting it up it's a very good sounding and playing guitar, but the QC isn't even up to Ibanez's poorest.

Tags
esp mii , fender strat , hamer standard , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgt , local music store , music store , neck thru , playing guitar , sounding guitar , string guitars , swamp ash , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode