ESP KH-202 comments? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

ESP KH-202 comments?

I played an ESP KH-202 today. I though the overall package was decent; neck felt good, the pickups sounded good even when clean. It has the FR Special, which I'm not sold on yet though. The price was good too - CAN$550 before tax. It's made in China so quality might be an issue. Any thoughts on this guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: ESP KH-202 comments?

I personally wouldn't want to get anything less than a 401 when it comes to ESP, because Korea > Indonesia/china, almost always. Not to mention you are paying quite a bit simply to the artist, and not the quality of the guitar.

Those are my general thoughts, and I'd much rather pay a few hundred extra to get something better, but if you like it and do buy it make complete sure that there isn't any dead spots on the fretboard or any places that is easy to fret out on bends beforehand. The neck is usually the biggest thing affected by quality control.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 02:25 AM

Not for nothing but I came in possesion of a esp/ltd m-103fm which is chinese made and was setup well,tuned to D, a whole step down and I have to say it kicked major ass!!
Bridge pickup is super hot has major crunch and I was really impressed the fit and finish on the guitar was really nice too.For a $329 I think thats what they go for not what I paid
The guitar was extremely impressive maybe China is getting better at making guitars or this one was a standout it was setup by someone who new what they were doing.But for this (one guitar) I was pleasantly surprised it definitely is a gig worthy guitar and could be used by everyone from a pro player to a newbie. Hope that helps I dunno
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 PM

If you're buying a KH be a baller and get a real ESP KH, Neck thru - made in japan model. If you don't you're only paying money for something that remotely resembles it. An LTD IS NOT an ESP in the sense of how it plays and sounds. I've got 4 neck thru KH guitars including the new white Ouija (its worth every penny!) and I'll tell you, once you play a real one there's no going back.

With Ibanez you may on occasion find an korean model that has a good neck and plays well, but with ESP if you want the best you have to pay for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman9 View Post
If you're buying a KH be a baller and get a real ESP KH, Neck thru - made in japan model. If you don't you're only paying money for something that remotely resembles it. An LTD IS NOT an ESP in the sense of how it plays and sounds. I've got 4 neck thru KH guitars including the new white Ouija (its worth every penny!) and I'll tell you, once you play a real one there's no going back.

With Ibanez you may on occasion find an korean model that has a good neck and plays well, but with ESP if you want the best you have to pay for it.
Tell that to my LTD H-1000.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman9 View Post

I would say you dont have to pay thousands of dollars for a nice pro quality guitar.
A nice made in japan Ibanez or ESP or Jackson or whatever setup properly by a good guitar tech with nice pickups will sound about as good as its gonna get.So like a used Ibanez RG-550/570 with some nice dimarzios can be had for under $500. Satch uses his JS model you can get a used one for under a grand.ESP M-II,Mirages,Horizons all are really nice guitars.They can be found for under a grand sometimes way under.If you need a Les Paul kinda sound Epis,Agiles,Tokai,ESP/LTD all are options throw some Duncans in them and you can get like 95% the benefits of a Les Paul for 1/4 the price.You don't need expensive gear to sound good I have seen many great players playing other peoples gear and still sounding great,spend your money wisely on your whole rig Amps,Guitars,Effects.
A 3K Guitar isnt gonna change your sound that much especially if you dont play that well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
I would say you dont have to pay thousands of dollars for a nice pro quality guitar.
A nice made in japan Ibanez or ESP or Jackson or whatever setup properly by a good guitar tech with nice pickups will sound about as good as its gonna get.So like a used Ibanez RG-550/570 with some nice dimarzios can be had for under $500. Satch uses his JS model you can get a used one for under a grand.ESP M-II,Mirages,Horizons all are really nice guitars.They can be found for under a grand sometimes way under.If you need a Les Paul kinda sound Epis,Agiles,Tokai,ESP/LTD all are options throw some Duncans in them and you can get like 95% the benefits of a Les Paul for 1/4 the price.You don't need expensive gear to sound good I have seen many great players playing other peoples gear and still sounding great,spend your money wisely on your whole rig Amps,Guitars,Effects.
A 3K Guitar isnt gonna change your sound that much especially if you dont play that well.
I agree totally. Talent is Talent and can not be purchased. vai, satch, KH or a bunch of other guys could smoke me with a $99 montgomery ward turd. But we're talking about a signature series guitar here and a "real KH" the 202 is not. Its a profit generating, poorly constructed look alike that, at best, is only slightly better than the afforementioned department store guitar.

There are a ton of Superbly playing $350 guitars out there.. but rather than spending 3500 on 10 of 'em to MAYBE find a good one, I like to spend it on 1 excellent guitar in one whack.

For what its worth several, if not all of my $900 - $1400 CARVINs are every bit as good as the holy grail Ouija guitar.. but there a only a few of them, and having it makes me feel better, which is what extremely nice material things are all about.

Tags
esp , kh202

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode