ESP LTD EC-1000 opinions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
ESP LTD EC-1000 opinions

Hi,

In my search for a Les-paulish model, suited for chuncky palm mute metal rhythms, that wont start sounding muddy at higher gain setting and has a slender neck, I eliminated quite some model in my list by reading a lot about them and testing some. Also decided to spend a little more. Realised again that new around 5-600$, you still only get what you pay for. So I came across the ESP LTD EC-1000 (LTD truckters seems to be an EC-1000 as well), especialy this vintage black edition.

Anyone experienced with the EC-1000's ? Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Re: ESP LTD EC-1000 opinions

Dude e tried one...
And their awesome guitars.. Very well built, and they have tonepros bridge.
Emg pus...do i have to say more? I love them, if hadnt bought an epiphone i would for shure buy one...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

It's a good guitar, but certainly not for the price they charge for it new. ESP in general is one of the most overpriced brands I can think of. You can pick up a used one on ze bay for a decent price though, and they feel and sound pretty good.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Actually, that's not a bad priced guitar IMHO. 'Cept I'd change the PUPs, but that's me not you.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM

I mean, they are $900...several companies offer many of these same features for much less. But nevertheless his question was about the quality of the guitar, and it is a good quality axe.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 PM

I just picked up an ESP Eclipse Standard and it is great. Sounds amazing. The EC-1000 would be similar. I looked at a few of the worn LTD EC models and they looked great and sounded about as good as my ESP. Good deal.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM

I picked up one last year. It's an excellent axe, very well built and has good hardware. Can't fault it in any way.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, that already good to hear about the quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I mean, they are $900...several companies offer many of these same features for much less. But nevertheless his question was about the quality of the guitar, and it is a good quality axe.
If you can point out a worthy alternative that would fit the needs I mention, please be my guest. An ESP Edwards E-LP-112CE is the same price range en hotd*mn hot in black as well. However, impossible to test one in Europe so it would be a 'blind' buy, and don't know if it has a slender U-neck like an EC-1000. I'm used to Superwizards. Kotornut was pro Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Actually, that's not a bad priced guitar IMHO. 'Cept I'd change the PUPs, but that's me not you.
For metal, you'd go for Duncan Distortions ? what did you think of Edwards necks btw ?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
Hmmm, that already good to hear about the quality...

If you can point out a worthy alternative that would fit the needs I mention, please be my guest.
Well, if I were you I'd take a look at Agile. I owned a few in the past and been VERY impressed. I'm not certain if they're taking custom orders now but when they do they allow you to change just about anything ya want. They have Les Paul style guitars with ebony boards and nice quality inlays with EMGs in em, they used to have thin profile necks but theyre out of stock now. Here's a pic as an example...this particular one doesnt have the EMGs but this is particularly cool finish.

It's got some nicer features even compared to the LTD, like real mother of pearl inlays and headstock inlay/logo (LTD appears to be pearloid). What you could do is order the thinner neck as a custom option. I'd get in contact with their main man Kurt (look up Rondo Music's website for the contact info) and see what they can do for ya. For 100-200 bucks less than the LTD you can get a custom made for ya, and their customer service is second to none.

I've since moved on and now buy/play custom guitars built by a buddy of mine, but I always recommend Agile as a great brand because I've had consistent great experiences with 'em over the years.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
For metal, you'd go for Duncan Distortions ? what did you think of Edwards necks btw ?
First about EMGs:
I know they are very metal and a mainstay for many bands, but honestly I feel a guitarist of any genre should work on their on tone irrespective of what is the "go to sound" of that genre. EMGs do what they do well and all, but they all give the same character to a guitar. To me, it's undesireable to sound like all the other guitarists in the genre. Personally now, I play DiMarzios and I got them for my metal projects, even though I'm in a rock band now and they still work excellently. There's a lot more options than just EMG 81b and 85n. That's all I'm saying, I just think they are more than cliche these days for the "metal tone" which is a nebulous concept anyway. Shouldn't tone be individual and not something you use for everyone in a genre? That makes me think that people are getting less original there were times when you knew who was playing guitar just by hearing the notes and the tone. Not so much anymore for a lot of music.

About Edwards:
Good recreations of a Les Paul. I played one that is modeled after the John Sykes LP, the neck was fast for an LP style neck and very comfortable. Another one I played was a Honey Burst LP standard type it felt liek it had more of a 60s Slim Taper profile to it. Comfortable and fast enough for an LP (if you can really call one neck faster than another).
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
ESP LTD is one of them, the 1000 series is almost exclusively an aesthetic upgrade. The 500 series (I think it is 500 anyways, I'm not too familiar with LTD models) is almost the same guitar, except without all the aesthetic add ons.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, if I were you I'd take a look at Agile.
Actually I have been looking at Agiles since it was advised in another, but I've read bad things about them as wel on different forums, style : loose fretwork. It was a must to bring a new guitar to a good tech (quite hard to find in Belgium) to get it good. I do as much as I can myself setup-wise, but fretwork is something else. If that is already an issue straight from the factory, I'm getting sceptic. Maybe they changed over the years. Well, doesn't hurt to contact these guys about customising, I'll let you know what comes of it.

Kotornut: I understand your pup's point. Now, testing pickups in your own guitar is quite a difficult thing, so why not start from a sound you know and like. besides that, these guys' gear is so different, playing style etc, that just a pickup isn't going to define you 100% either. And if you van buy a guitar that has pickups you like from the factory, IP prefer that Never seen a Duncan Distortion as a stock pup myself.

I contacted several Edwards shop in Japan, but they won't ship overseas :/
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Kotornut: I understand your pup's point. Now, testing pickups in your own guitar is quite a difficult thing, so why not start from a sound you know and like. besides that, these guys' gear is so different, playing style etc, that just a pickup isn't going to define you 100% either. And if you van buy a guitar that has pickups you like from the factory, IP prefer that Never seen a Duncan Distortion as a stock pup myself.

I contacted several Edwards shop in Japan, but they won't ship overseas :/

Two things.

1: I think Shred's Symph is a great guy and has a lot of good sense and advice. But about Agiles, you do often times in life get what you pay for and while Agiles may be good for their incredibly low price that is the limit of their worth. They are great $300 guitars, but they are still $300 guitars. Just my thoughts.

2: I realize what you are saying, but in my opinion EMGs sound the same nearly through any amp and in any guitar. It's not a bad sound but it isn't working to add to a guitars exsisting character as well. A Les Paul with one, a strat with one, same sound.

Who have you tried out of Japan? I might be able to help you in this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Actually I have been looking at Agiles since it was advised in another, but I've read bad things about them as wel on different forums, style : loose fretwork. It was a must to bring a new guitar to a good tech (quite hard to find in Belgium) to get it good. I do as much as I can myself setup-wise, but fretwork is something else. If that is already an issue straight from the factory, I'm getting sceptic. Maybe they changed over the years. Well, doesn't hurt to contact these guys about customising, I'll let you know what comes of it.
I've actually NEVER heard of an Agile needing fretwork. SX guitars (the other company Rondo Music deals with) yes, but they are 100 dollar cheapie guitars. I've never heard of such a problem with the 350-500 dollar Agiles like the AL-3000 or AL-3100. I personally have had 4 of them (and 2 AL-2000s) and not ONE has had so much as an uneven fret or a sharp fret end. I know I'm gonna get bashed for this next sentence but its the honest truth based on my guitar owning...that's not something I can say for Gibson (yes I've owned several). Furthermore I believe the custom orders are subjected to pretty rigorous testing and lookin-over (a lot more so than the regular models), so I cant imagine a problem like loose fretwork on one of them. You can check out the custom jobs that people have ordered over on Agile's forum. If you read reviews of them in various places, most of the reviews that are negative talk about stuff that, if the person contacted Kurt, would most likely either get them a nice sized discount (if they wanted to keep the guitar) or a replacement with all the shipping fees and everything else fully covered. People write stuff like "small chip in the clearcoat upon delivery" and then give the guitar a 1 on Harmony Central, so it's best to be cautious when readin' those. Overall I'm not gonna say stuff like Agile = custom shop Gibson, cuz that's not the case, but all I'm saying is if youre interested in that LTD you can get the same thing from Agile with pretty much the same quality (and actually as far as quilt/flame tops go the Agile ones always seem nicer than the LTD) for a lot less.

And as for what kotor said, I understand that many people have that view but simply put, an Agile put up against an average priced Gibson in my experience with several side by side comparisons is better in everything but the name. Cleaner wiring, better fretwork, nicer inlay materials, and of course the customer service. Plus Agile offers good quality ebony boards (not an option on many Gibsons I've seen), search the web and you'll find some great close up photos. I would certainly say that it's NOT a case of "you get just what you pay for", because when you look at the features and quality you certainly get a lot more than one should expect to get with a 400 dollar guitar.

Last edited by shreddersymphony; 12-02-2008 at 11:41 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
And as for what kotor said, I understand that many people have that view but simply put, an Agile put up against an average priced Gibson in my experience with several side by side comparisons is better in everything but the name. Cleaner wiring, better fretwork, nicer inlay materials, and of course the customer service. Plus Agile offers good quality ebony boards (not an option on many Gibsons I've seen), search the web and you'll find some great close up photos. I would certainly say that it's NOT a case of "you get just what you pay for", because when you look at the features and quality you certainly get a lot more than one should expect to get with a 400 dollar guitar.
Well, I hope I can get enough experience with an Agile to see your point of view.

Tags
ec-1000 ltd esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode