ESP LTD M-100FM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Question ESP LTD M-100FM

Hi guys,

Newbie here and just wondering if anyone here has played an ESP LTD M-100FM guitar at all? I'd be especially interested in your thoughts if you also own an Ibanez RG550 cos I have the Ibanez, but I'm considering getting the ESP as a backup floyd rose guitar.

How do they compare for comfort, playability and pickups (the Ibanez has V7 & 8 Humbuckers and S1 single coil, the ESP has the LH-100s) etc.

Thanks guys!

Gaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Re: ESP LTD M-100FM

Don't waste your money. LTDs are bad, but the 100 is bottom of the barrel.

Now if we are talking an honest to gawd Jap ESP, thats a different story.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: ESP LTD M-100FM

Are they REALLY so bad? Several of my students have them (well, other LTD models) and they seem ok, for the money. Of course, if I had the cash I'd get an ESP, but they're pretty expensive, no? (ok, not in JEM territory, but still.....)

Also, I thought the M-50 was the bottom model, not even having a floyd rose trem on it.

So, what in your opinion is so bad about this particular guitar? Pickups, playability?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Reviews: 11

stay away from 100's... they are on par with GIO's.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

See, the problem I've got is that I'm a left hander, so models are extremely limited in my orientation.

Can someone tell me exactly where the issue is with the M-100FM? Is it that they are made like crap, or is it that they simply suffer from crap pickups?

With a price tag of 350 I really wouldn't have expected them to be comparable to Ibanez GIOs! Mind you, GIOs do seem to have a WIDE price range.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skingaz View Post
See, the problem I've got is that I'm a left hander, so models are extremely limited in my orientation.

Can someone tell me exactly where the issue is with the M-100FM? Is it that they are made like crap, or is it that they simply suffer from crap pickups?

With a price tag of 350 I really wouldn't have expected them to be comparable to Ibanez GIOs! Mind you, GIOs do seem to have a WIDE price range.
id suggest a left handed rg350 for a cost effective lefty
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM

They are made from crap plywood, by the most unskilled workers in the factory. Crap necks, crap attention to detail, crap crap crap.
I have seen a few "nice" LTDs, true enough, but they are the exception not the rule, and you can spend a grand on a high end LTD and it still be crap. I was so happy when one of my clients a Schecter endorsement after 5 years with LTD. I was tired of going over and sending back crap guitars trying to get him a good one to play. And this is someone they PAY to play them, so you think they would be sending the best they had to offer (and on paper, they were the best they had to offer, but even the EC-1000s they kept sending were pure junk, it took about 6 until we got one that I could do something with, and even then it was on par with a good Epiphone at half the cost). But the first batch of Schecters we got in were all spot on, thats 3 for 3 so far from them. I just can't say enough bad stuff about those LTDs.
And a good ESP ( as in a real custom one) will make a Jem seem affordable! lol
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm, I take your point musikron. That's quite scary actually.

To be honest, I'm actually quite sick of being a leftie and being out in the cold when it comes to decent guitars, without paying a fortune that is, as THAT'S just not an option.

Oh and Schecter, I have to say that I hate them purely on the basis that BUSTED endorsed them.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM

This is my experience with an esp ltd model its older though so fwiw:

Not for nothing but I came in possesion of a esp/ltd m-103fm which is chinese made and was setup well,tuned to D, a whole step down and I have to say it kicked major ass!!
Bridge pickup is super hot has major crunch and I was really impressed the fit and finish on the guitar was really nice too.For a $329 I think thats what they go for not what I paid
The guitar was extremely impressive maybe China is getting better at making guitars or this one was a standout it was setup by someone who new what they were doing.But for this (one guitar) I was pleasantly surprised it definitely is a gig worthy guitar and could be used by everyone from a pro player to a newbie. Hope that helps I dunno
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks corpraider69! The super hotness of the pickups is what I keep hearing in clips and so forth. I was definitely looking for input from someone who's owned and played one. The 103 is kinda the 100 with a maple fingerboard, yes?

As it happens, I have one other chinese made guitar (was bought for me as a present, after I chanced to admire it!) and that's a pretty cool guitar, with a decent amount of playability and nice sounding pickups, so maybe you're right, they're getting better (as a country) at making guitars. OK, we all know how awesome the Japanese are at making guitars, but time was when we all thought that decent guitars ONLY came from the US.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 AM

Reviews: 19

The higher end LTD's 400 series and up are better. The higher the number the better (1000 series are best).
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

I just got this LTD Gus 600-EC and it's absolutely perfect right out of the box! Fit&finish/ string heigth/SD Blackouts/fret-ends nice and smooth/locking tuners/25 1/2 scale (which I love) All around binding/ Mohogany body w/Maple cap/Set through neck/TonePros bridge and Tailpiece. Now I dont know about the "lower end" models, but this guitar screams quality. have to admit, the Korean's are doing a great job at making guitars. I,m very happy with it..........

Last edited by bob mclaughlin; 04-25-2011 at 07:39 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

That really does look beautiful! I have a student who has an MH-370 (he tells me the model is) which he loves too! This guy also owns an Ibanez AX (the one with the de-tuner) and a Jackson Dinky, but he says that the ESP LTD is as good quality wise as the other guitars, and feels great to play.

I was asking him about it at his lesson tonight, while we were noodling through "Bat Country". hehe

My thoughts, at the moment, are that anything I particularly don't like about the M-100FM can easily be changed, if it proves impossible to live with. (pickups, trem, etc) Just so long as the body is sound and it is playable.

What do you think?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 17

I've had a M-100 HAD, got rid of it really quick as it was junk compared to the rest of my guitars.

Only thing I liked about it was the neck rest was utter cheap crap put together lol

........I say that but the guitar stayed in tune for a week after i set it up......
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Reviews: 3

If you really want a decent lefty, backup guitar look into the Carvin GK1P Bolt Plus kit. You have to put it together but it'll be with quality parts made in the US and a Floyd Rose option. It's great for learning how to set up and you can do whatever the heck you want to with it. A basic kit with the FR will run you about $599 and it'll go up from there. If you're up for the challenge, you can get a really nice guitar for a bit more than a subpar to average import.

Tags
esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode