ESP player open to converting to Ibanez, give me your wisdom! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

ESP player open to converting to Ibanez, give me your wisdom!

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm looking to get a new guitar and I've never been a fan of Ibanez in the past, but I'm starting to come around a little. I have mostly played ESP's in the past, and by ESP's I mean only LTD's . I've never bought an LTD that's more than $450 new, so I don't have any experience with the higher-end LTD's. Anyway, a lot of my friends are hyping Ibanez and I just checked out my local dealer. This is gonna be kinda long so I'm gonna organize it so you can skim easily.

What I'm looking for in my guitar:
  • Price range: $600-$1000 (goodbye prestige, see you after grad school)
  • Condition: New (I've bought and loved used guitars, but not going to pursue that this time)
  • Neck-thru: I recently acquired an 8-string that's neck-thru and I love the sustain and feel of playing it. Also played a couple at the Ibanez dealer and I'm a big fan. The guy told me that Ibanez has stopped making these guitars. Anyone know why?
  • Floyd Rose: I'm not gonna use the whammy bar much to be honest but I'd like a FR again.
  • Good Metal pickups! They don't need to be diverse, I have other guitars for that. I'm not gonna lie, I love my EMG 81/85's, but I haven't much experience with any Ibanez pickups that are good for metal (inform me??)
  • Not just a plain black finish.
  • Also, I'm a minimalist when it comes to fret inlays, so the less the better.
  • Not looking for a crazy body like the xiphos
Anyway, the guitar I've been looking at is an ESP LTD MH-350FR (site won't let me link cause I'm a n00b, sorry). It's a new model, and you'll notice it meets all of my criteria. However, I have owned a bunch of LTD's and I'm ready for something new.

Here are my thoughts on the two brands, based on my experiences:

ESP: Neck's are good, not great. Set neck's are fine, and don't bother me on the upper frets. They feel good to me overall, but the quality doesn't last very long (everyone knows this). I'm a big fan of the 81/85's, which seem to rarely be found on Ibanez models.

Ibanez: Wizard necks are sexy. I'm not very familiar with their pickups. I think a lot of the guitars look incredibly plain (ESP has them beat there). I like the Edge III and it seems to be made of better materials than the Floyd Rose special that's found on the ESP I was looking at. Not a big fan of their inlays.

So here are my questions:

Why did Ibanez get rid of neck-thru's? On a previous thread, someone said "I love that All Acces Neck Joint. It's unbelievable good. That thing is what made me give up neck-thru". Can anyone elaborate on that? I played an Ibanez RGT42DXFM. I wasn't blown away by the pickups, but then again I was using equipment at the store, not my own. That guitar is the closest to what I'm looking for but those inlays are fugly!!

Are there any Ibanez pickups similar to the EMG 81/85's? (flame me) How do the Ibanez active pickup's compare?

If the ESP I linked to above can boast all of these features for the same price as Ibanez's with "seemingly" lesser features, where are they lacking? Build quality?

And I don't want to restart this endless debate, but if people could briefly touch on their experiences with Ibanez bolt-on's vs neck-thru's (if you have experience). I could go w/o neck-thru if there is good reason.

Is there anything important I seem to have overlooked?

Finally, can you suggest me some Ibanez guitars that seem to be close to what I'm looking for? I have looked at so many ibanez's today that I'm getting fried, and some fresh opinions would help.

Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: ESP player open to converting to Ibanez, give me your wisdom!

Doh! I thought I was in the classifieds--darn smartphones...

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 04-28-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: wrong section.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
How about a REAL ESP, not that LTD junk? I've got one on the popular auction site with 2 hours left. Just search for ESP Mirage Deluxe 48 St Custom--it's that surf green beast.
I don't think this thread was here for you to try and pimp your ESP for sale on e Bay.

He's asking about Ibanez guitars, he didn't want an ESP.

I'm not sure why the neck through ones aren't being made now, but I've always found the bolt-on guitars to be fantastic.

Seriously, YOU need to get out there and try some Ibanez guitars, both unplugged, and plugged in. We can tell you what we think, but we are basing this on OUR hands and ears, not yours. You will know what you like best.

Don't be too turned off by pickups, you can always replace them anyway.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 AM

Here's my.02 Neck through vs AANJ is a non issue. Have and love both. Focus on the made in Japan Fujigen models. If you have to get a new guitar sacrifice somewhere and spend the money on high quality. Don't buy anything until you at least take a look at a used RG520QS that go for around $400 on *bay. They pretty much fit your description and are the best bang for the buck in Ibanez IMO. Mahogany body, super wizard/bubinga stripe neck....great combo.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 AM

I would say in that price range I would recommend a used Ibanez RG 550,570,560,517,520,750,770,760 if you insist on new then I would say like a rg 1550 or 1570 try to find one with and edge pro and not an edge zero.Also these are all bolt ons and you probably will want to change the pickups too. I recommend some nice Dimarzios but you said you like the EMG's so go for what works for you.

P.S. Hit up Rich at Ibanez Rules I am sure he can hook you up with something really nice it certainly will play well you can count on that

Last edited by corpraider69; 04-28-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added a ps
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM

This is the model you want and should fit your budget perfectly,the RGT6EXFX .

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Funny you focus on the neck. The most important thing to take into consideration when choosing Ibanez vs. ESP is that the entire feel and vibe is different if we're talking AANJ vs. neck-through. They are completely different animals.

I have played both. The ESPs, basically the neck-throughs, seemed more inorganic. They felt like the surface of bowling balls, as if the entire thing, save the fretboard, were candy coated in a thick urethane shell. The body could have been made of plastic or some sort of polymer just as easily as wood. This is probably just a symptom of being neck-through. I have played neck-through Ibanez RGTs that felt this way too.

The majority of Ibanez guitars have thick finishes on their bodies, but the neck is either going to be oiled or clear-coated maple. That, along with the bolt-on neck joint, give them a completely different feeling. It's more Strat like; you feel the wood on the neck, you know its a completely separate piece from the body.

If you are worried about fret access, don't be. If you have an Ibanez with an AANJ, you won't have any problem with that all the way up to the 24th. Just play one before you buy it.

I recommend you try to find a used MIJ RG550 or 570. I found a '02 570 MIJ with an original Edge for around $300.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
I recommend you try to find a used MIJ RG550 or 570. I found a '02 570 MIJ with an original Edge for around $300.
MIJ = Made in Japan
Edge = The best (according to many) Ibanez floyd rose tremolo system.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

find a used rgt3120. can be had for around $1000. the paf pros that come stock are good all around pickups, then you can choose where you want to go from there. yes you will have to add just a tad bit more to your budget, but the rgt3120 is one of the finest prestiges ever to come off the production line.

rich
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa sloth View Post
Ibanez: Wizard necks are sexy. I'm not very familiar with their pickups. I think a lot of the guitars look incredibly plain (ESP has them beat there). I like the Edge III and it seems to be made of better materials than the Floyd Rose special that's found on the ESP I was looking at. Not a big fan of their inlays.
OK, I am saying this with minimal personal experience with these bridges, but my research has indicated that not many people like their Edge 3 bridges. These are often swapped out for other bridges like an Edge Pro.

The FR Special is the Korean made (as opposed to German) version of the Floyd Rose. I read on this site (IIRC) that someone weighed the parts of the FR Special, and they weighed exactly the same as the parts on an OFR. Mr. Rose is fanatical about not putting his name on any old product -- he has high standards.

As there aren't many current Ibanez models that meet your specs at the moment, might I make another suggestion? -- http://www.rondomusic.com/interceppr...ibalredmn.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
OK, I am saying this with minimal personal experience with these bridges, but my research has indicated that not many people like their Edge 3 bridges. These are often swapped out for other bridges like an Edge Pro.

The FR Special is the Korean made (as opposed to German) version of the Floyd Rose. I read on this site (IIRC) that someone weighed the parts of the FR Special, and they weighed exactly the same as the parts on an OFR. Mr. Rose is fanatical about not putting his name on any old product -- he has high standards.

As there aren't many current Ibanez models that meet your specs at the moment, might I make another suggestion? -- http://www.rondomusic.com/interceppr...ibalredmn.html
I'll vouch for the Edge III. I haven't had an problems whatsoever with mine.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I already have a strat-style bolt-on and I do love the feel of the neck being different from the body. For this guitar, I decided to stick with the neck-thru though and I just ordered a RGT6EXFX blue chameleon for $540 (holy ****!!!). I can live with the fixed bridge because i played this model at the local guitar store and it felt great. it's gonna be even better when I get one that doesn't have all the fretboard wear!

I've head sting-through is good for sustain. Anyone have thoughts on this?

consider me stoked.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Reviews: 18

congrats on the new axe.. never played that model before but it looks interesting. Has some pretty nice specs.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM

you'll love the RGT line. killer for the money. i own 2 myself, the aforementioned rgt3120 and an rgt42fx. both have air norton and tone zones. awesome guitars!

rich
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 AM

As a devoted ESP AND Ibanez fan and player I just have to say:

why stick with blondes only if you can have brunettes at the same time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode