ESP Skull & Snakes - Factory flaw found 5 years later - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

ESP Skull & Snakes - Factory flaw found 5 years later

I bought my ESP (not LTD) George Lynch Skull & Snakes new in 2002. I just noticed a factory error while changing the strings. The tuning key on the Low E string is differant than the other 5 tuning keys. The Low E has a slightly larger and more square tuning key knob than the others. The other 5 are smaller and more round. The rest of the tuning key parts are identical, right down to the "MADE IN JAPAN" on the body of the tuners. I am guessing that I never noticed this because the guitar has a reverse headstock making the tuning keys not so much in sight while playing. Where I am the original owner, I know it wasn't a replacement tuning key. ESP says that the ESP line guitars are hand built in their customer shop in Japan. While the LTD line are built more by machine in Korea & Indonesia (probably by Samick). I guess thats what you get when you factor in the guitar being built more by hand than machine. The luthier probably didn't even notice the odd misplaced tuner as he took the 6 tuners out of a big box of them. Then again, maybe he came up 1 short out of the box he had at his work station and just grabbed the 1 from another box being lazy and figuring the eventual buyer would never notice. It doesn't bug me. In fact, I view it as a quick way to identify my guitar if it was ever stolen because the thief would never notice it. I just can't belive I've never noticed. I am very picky when it comes to my guitars and baby them.

Last edited by LynchBox; 07-08-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: ESP Skull & Snakes - Factory flaw found 5 years later

The thread listed 3x. How do I delete the other 2?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 AM

That is a cool flaw to have! Like you said identifiable.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

I have a pc glitch or something. Will an admiminstrator please delete the 3 other identical threads when they read this. I have tried and it won't let me. Thanks

Last edited by LynchBox; 07-08-2007 at 02:58 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM

don't you wanna post some pics of the guitar? i love esps, theyre prettiness
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 PM

yeah that would bother me too.

try to think of it as character.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, the tuners are black Gotohs. The model is now only available in chrome, black chrome, and gold. The tuners are starting to slip. I think I'm going to replace them with chrome ones. I am also going to replace the volume knob w/ a chrome knob w/ an abolone cap I found. The pickups aren't the greatest either. They are a NON F-spaced Screamin' Demon and ESP hot rail type pickup. I am going to replace them w/ a Bill Lawrence L500 lead in the bridge and a Lil 59' in the neck. I am going to put chrome Schaller strap locks on it too. Should be killer when its done.

Last edited by LynchBox; 07-10-2007 at 02:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Post pictures fella! I'm really wanting a GL ESP right now

Tags
reverse headstock , schaller strap locks , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode