ESP Special Order Suggestions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
ESP Special Order Suggestions

I have finally decided to make an ESP special order. This is not a custom shop order. You can call it option shop I honestly think that Ibanez should do that as well. The Special Order is only extended to the Standard Series of ESP instruments,

That is I cannot change body shape or body wood but I can change colours, neck finish type, fingerboard type, Change of colours/design for inlays, hardware, binding, Change of pickups (Seymour Duncan/ EMG) etc.

Now I am thinking two specs and I don’t know which one to choose. The order will be placed next week

Spec 1:
Standard M II model (alder body), reverse headstock
Flat Black colour (I know it’s boring)
Cream Binding
Seymour Duncan 59/JB (any suggestion on pickups?)
Maple fingerboard
Black Skull and bone inlay
Black hardware
Unfinished maple neck

Spec 2:
Standard M II model (alderbody, reverse headstock)
See thru black (like Black Onyx in J-Custom)
No binding
EMG (any suggestion ?)
EMG Active Booster
Ebody board
Mother of pearl skull and bone inlay
Black hardware
Unfinished Maple neck

OK, now pickup combination and fingerboard is my main indecisive factor. I like Metallica, Zakk etc. and I don’t have a guitar with active pickup, so that’s a plus point. so I am leaning toward EMG but I heard that clean is not good on them.

I have played them only once and was using overdrive. Zakk’s cleans are nice though, not sure which guitar he is using for clean parts. Clean tone is important for me, so I am a bit afraid to choose EMG. Also I don’t know the tone of the fingerboard and pickups combinations i.e. maple + SD or Ebony + EMG or maple + EMG etc.

I have a few guitars, so I don’t need super versatile guitar. I play 80’s heavy metal and ballads and occasionally modern rock. JP6 with Liquid Fire and Crunch Lab fits my bill but I want a custom guitar and I can’t use Dimarzio.

Thanks for reading long post and welcome all suggestions!

Last edited by xklusivly4u; 03-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: ESP Special Order Suggestions

EMGs are perfectly fine for cleans if you don't push them right up against the strings. The 18V mod makes them shine too.

I'd get an 89 for the neck. Its splittable to an SA type single coil tone, and the splittable 81 for the bridge (can't remember the name).
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Spec 1:

sounds good to me!
Personely i would go for a rosewood board in combination with the JB.
gives a warmer sound for clean.

Spec 2:

IMO playing thrue EMG's it realy doesnt matter that much what wood you use as for the fingerboard. all because of its active circuit.
But than again, if you would order one with EMG's you can always swap your pickups for passive ones,and back again for active's without having to route a battery cavity.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Reviews: 19

Why not just get a KH-2???
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockme.au View Post
Why not just get a KH-2???

I want one-of-a-kind guitar made to my spec without shelling out 7k usd. KH-2 looks boring and I have too many guitars with rosewood board and it only comes with EMG81 set. Donít forget I can order any colour if that make sense.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Apart from the ebony board and colour you basically have spec'd a KH-2 Sig series (NOT the custom shop for 7k!!) even down to the inlays. EMG's are dead easy to swap, they plug in! No soldering required.
Just a thought.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Apart from the ebony board and colour you basically have spec'd a KH-2 Sig series (NOT the custom shop for 7k!!) even down to the inlays. EMG's are dead easy to swap, they plug in! No soldering required.
Just a thought.
You kill my excitement.....booooooo

in all seriousness, in your take an RG and put vine inlay in it, that will look like a JEM. After all it is not a custom shop model.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM

I think I would have to agree that although it may be a build to order, the specs are not going to be one of a kind. Have you considered Warmoth or some of the other shops that can produce "custom" build guitars at a good cost? I saw a guitar in town hear that someone had built and it was for about $1000 - $1300 he spent and the specs were definitely custom.

I tend to shy away from the JB/59 combination. It is a nice combination but it is not very defining of a particular playing style and seems to be the standard fall back plan of guitar makers trying to appeal to everyone.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
You kill my excitement.....booooooo

in all seriousness, in your take an RG and put vine inlay in it, that will look like a JEM. After all it is not a custom shop model.
Not trying to kill your excitment mate, but I just dont think (and have it on good authority ) that you will get tops like that on a standard series as a one off.
On another ESP dedicated site I haunt, the ESP dealer that runs it has to order a minimum of 7 to get ESP to do that.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 AM

Also KH's have an 81/60 set in them nowadays.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Also KH's have an 81/60 set in them nowadays.
well, I can go for SD Blackouts if I still want to stick with active picks. Pretty much decided on maple board with skull inlays. None of the KH model has maple board

Any idea which SD model would be closer to Air Norton, Liquid Fire/Crunch Lab, Super Distortion?

I haven't decided on the colour yet but whatever I choose I will put a binding as well. And the dealer confirmed that I can order one off (not minimum 7). I already have a guitar in red, otherwise I will choose deep red and matching headstock. Would you call it MTM?

Last edited by xklusivly4u; 03-05-2011 at 11:43 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 AM

How do you do a special order? I looked at the web site but couldn't find it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
How do you do a special order? I looked at the web site but couldn't find it.
some ESP dealers do it. check with your local distributor.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
I want one-of-a-kind guitar made to my spec without shelling out 7k usd. KH-2 looks boring and I have too many guitars with rosewood board and it only comes with EMG81 set. Donít forget I can order any colour if that make sense.
You don't want to shell out 7 grand--have you actually priced your "custom ESP" options? I just plugged in your Spec 1 choice and that monster comes out to $8450.00

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Yeah ESP custom shop seems pretty expensive when I have played with their guitar builder quote system.

Tags
esp special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode