"Essentials" Custom Guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

"Essentials" Custom Guitar?

I just had an idea for a discussion that could be interesting. I know we've had a dream guitar thread, but I'm interested in what you'd get if you could get a custom guitar made, but had to keep the price as low as possible. So, basically, list the specs of a custom guitar that has only the things you'd absolutely need to have to be happy with it (i.e. cosmetics are not important, but you can pick a colour ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:50 AM

7 string, uvish style neck, ebony fret board, adler body, blaze custom bridge,blaze neck,5 way selector ,1 volume 1tone lopro edge color natural
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:17 AM

Good thread, twohands.

Neck and hardware borrowed off a 7620, preferrably powder cosmo, but whatveer i could get, really. alder body, front routed with a brushed aluminum pickguard. Two pickups, set up like a JS control scheme with a push/pull on the tone for coil tap (but no high pass filter). sky blue (think a bottle of Bombay Sapphire) body, stained, with a tung oil finish. either Air norton/Evo 7, or maybe a SD Jazz/JB 7 combo- i haven't quite decided. And, if the budget allows, having the board stripped off the 7620 neck, and having it replaced by maple with blue abalone dot inlays. This would probably be more expensive than the body work, but i love the look and feel of maple.

-D
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 06:41 AM

Price as low as possible, eh? Hmmm... well, since I'm getting a custom guitar here for this mental exercise, I'll assume money is no object since I can afford to have a custom built in the first place, but! I'll be realistic and make it obtainable.

Mahogany RG 7-string style body with flamed maple top. Burnt umber type burst finish, with a white pickguard. White bound 27" maple neck (Birdseye?) with ebony board and stainless steel frets, no inlays, RG style headstock. Black hardware, piezo non-floating trem, locking tuners, graphite nut, stereo output, 2 humbuckers with 5-way switching, either Dimarzios or Duncans probably. (White '59-7/JB-7 combo would look and sound cool I think. ) Straplocks... oh! And a Sustainiac Stealth, also white. There it is! If I had to, I could live without the Sustainer.

What would your guitar have, Twohands?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Hmm...well, I'd get a 6-string and a 7-string to the same specs probably:

Basswood body (RG/UV/JEM)
Maple neck (24-frets, 27"-scale)
Rosewood fretboard
2 HBs (throw in stock Ibanez or the "New 7s" I guess)
1 volume
1 tone
3-way selector
Hardtail
no pickguard
Make it black so it matches the rest of my guitars
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:30 AM

Hmmm... Let's see...

RG7 body:
Basswood with a Quilted maple top

Wizard 7 Neck:
3 piece Maple
Bound Rosewood fretboard
Off-set dots
Reverse Ibanez headstock

Hardware:
All Chrome
Edge 7, lock nut, Planet Waves tuners(you know the ones that automatically cut the string)
5way Switch, 1 Volume

Pickups:
Evo 7 bridge
Air Norton 7 neck

Blue 'ten top' stain finish on the body, tung oil on the neck.

That would be my 'perfect' 7 string..
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:36 AM

Unfinished mahogany telecaster body, 24 fret maple fretboard, Edge bridge, and a Tone Zone 7 in almost the bridge position but maybe 3/4 of an inch closer to the neck, with a single volume control and a three-way switch for: 1) full humbucker 2) both coils in series, 3) just the coil closest to the neck.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 08:49 AM

rg6 and rg7 with:
3pc maple neck-thru (same profile as the neck on my 2027)
birdseye maple fretboard with 12th fret double-dot black pearl inlay
alder body wings
locking tuners, fixed bridge, graphite nut
1 volume, 1 tone knob
5way switch
royal blue finish, think rg421, matching headstock
now THIS is what I want!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:22 AM

My ideal is the following -

Universe777bk neck,Rg body,Amber/orange flame top ... White DiMarzio Blaze setup,No scratch plate,Chrome hardware ... And it's almost reality :-)

If money was no object,i'd got for the same neck,But solid quilted natural finish body ... Same hardware options

I'm a simple guy ;-)

Rob
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:25 AM

RG7 shaped swamp ash body, no finish (2 piece, bookmatched if possible, otherwise I don't care)
3 piece maple neck, ebony board- 2027 profile, maple dots
Duncan Jazz 7 neck, Evo 7 bridge pickups - both black
master volume, master tone, 3 way Tele switch (petrucci wired), piezo on off mini switch, piezo volume
Chrome hardware -Gotoh tuners, Ibanez double edge 7 tremolo
and a nice UV1000 case
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM

ash, alder, or mahogany soloist style body style
maple neck with ebony board
preferably neck-through construction, but I can live with bolt-on
no neck inlays
Jackson 3+3 style headstock
TOM bridge, strung through body
standard tuning machines
one vol. pot and a three-way switch
dimarzio X2N bridge, air norton neck
guitar body, neck, and headstock finished in black
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
Won't that leave you one string short?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Hmmm... Let's see...

RG7 body:
Basswood with a Quilted maple top

Wizard 7 Neck:
3 piece Maple
Bound Rosewood fretboard
Off-set dots
Reverse Ibanez headstock

Hardware:
All Chrome
Edge 7, lock nut, Planet Waves tuners(you know the ones that automatically cut the string)
5way Switch, 1 Volume

Pickups:
Evo 7 bridge
Air Norton 7 neck

Blue 'ten top' stain finish on the body, tung oil on the neck.

That would be my 'perfect' 7 string..
Do planet waves make auto trim tuners for 7 strings?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
Won't that leave you one string short?
Who says this thread is only for 7-strings It's for any number of strings you want (technically a 1-string guitar would probably be cheapest )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear_Factory
Do planet waves make auto trim tuners for 7 strings?
If they don't, you might be able to buy them individually, and then you've got your problem solved
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:16 PM

You did post it in 7-string section...

Tags
abalone dot inlays , air norton , air norton neck , alder body , basswood body , blaze neck , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , chrome hardware , coil tap , custom guitar , custom guitars , dimarzio blaze , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fret board , edge bridge , fender twin , fixed bridge , flamed maple , fret board , fret maple , gotoh tuners , graphite nut , guitar body , hardtail bridge , high pass filter , lock nut , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , master tone , neck inlay , norton neck , planet waves , pro edge , quilted maple , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , scratch plate , stainless steel frets , steel frets , string guitars , string section , swamp ash , swamp ash body , tone zone , tung oil , volume knobs , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode