Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Etherial guitars?

13K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Bryancap77 
#1 ·
They look like they have a pretty sick creative design team. I'm considering getting a 9 or 10 custom project done... Something similar to this.

What are your opinions on fan frets?

See less See more
#18 ·
That's what I thought when Ibanez recently released a sub-$400 street eight string guitar. Too crazy, all this GAS, isn't it.

I have really been into GAS since the mid-1990s and guitar #57 and #58 were bought then without too much thought to utility but for the sake of GAS. Since then the latest two I have bought since then I have kept and actually use.

I know, unless I somehow excel at music theory immensely, there's no practical need for me to get a ten string guitar. Even an eight string guitar is questionable in its use for me, even at four hundred dollars. I can still look at OP's guitar and be in total awe of it without having to want it. Hey, I like a nice red Ferrari like almost anyone but I would never consider getting one. Anyway, unbelievably gorgeous!

#6 ·
Damn I want a 7 strings.
It looks angry, very creative and different.
9/10 strings?!
Bryan where are your 6/7 songs? ;)
My 6 string songs are mainly acoustic (and very few in number) written in a similar style of donn Ross... My 7 string songs are also very few, more actually just licks and riffs that sound great...

I have more half finished songs than I know what to do with. And without proper recording equipment, I'm struggling with doing anything creative. I will be looking into getting recording equipment soon though, and that will help.

But, I need inspiration. I want something I've never seen/played/heard before. And that is essentially the definition of said guitar. Tosin abasi of animals as leaders is phenomenal, playing 7 and 8 strings. I'd like to do similar things.

Ill post a video of me playing a Gilbert song (half of one anyways, I'm still working on it) sometime soon so you can assess my talent. :p

#26 ·
Ethereals work is sloppy. your money is better off elsewhere. Id HIGHLY recommend VIK, as those types of guitars are his specialty and his work is top notch.

Stealth -> I believe it was me that pointed out Etherials sloppy work a while ago... :D
I don't like sloppy work, either but I can tolerate it. Many old school USA Gretsch guitars are as sloppy as all heck but get a sound and have a feel that nothing else has. Certain guitarists can't play music unless they have a Gretsch.

Gibson has been, and at times is still sloppy but I still like them. Thankfully, I have always been lucky with Ibanez because either they are the best in quality or near the top in the industry. Only ESP and PRS are as consistently well built and set up direct from factory.

That being said, nothing replaces said reputation or build better than actually picking up a guitar and seeing if it fits. Many so-called great instruments others like do nothing for me.

#21 ·
Those are damn sexy. But I think I'm doing a custom. Ill have help from a good builder who can help me source parts much lower than retail so it should be perfect ;)

Any ideas as to what I do?! I may make a desperate thread making suggestions, as I'm a noob in the world or erg's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.