Ever had one you just couldn't make play well? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Ever had one you just couldn't make play well?

Some time ago, I bought a guitar. It was a love affair--the guitar was beautiful: figured wood, uncommon materials, exotic finish, classy hardware, and totally different from the rest of my collection.

There was only one problem. No matter what I did, I could never get the guitar to play well. I took it to three different luthiers. I was told that the frets had never been properly crowned and leveled, that there was a slight hump in the middle of the fretboard, and that the intonation was off due to an imprecisely cut neck pocket. Many hours and dollars later, the guitar was improved, but I could never get the action quite low enough without terrible buzz and sibilance. Eventually, I sold it for a pittance.

That guitar was like a gorgeous sports car with chronic engine trouble.

What about you--any guitars that you just could never quite get to play well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:04 PM

Re: Ever had one you just couldn't make play well?

Ummm, they don't last 30 minutes with me if it doesn't play well.

You are way more patient than I am.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 AM

I have never really had a true lemon. I have had guitars that i have got set up ok but i never liked the neck shape, or body contour or tone.Never a true lemon though.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 AM

Of over 60 guitars I have owned, I had one that didn't play well that had a huge bow in the middle. It was a 12 string acoustic, bolt-on neck MIJ Epiphone from the 1970s.

The only thing that would have brought something this far gone back would have been to steam the neck which is something I don't know how to do.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 04:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Of over 60 guitars I have owned, I had one that didn't play well that had a huge bow in the middle. It was a 12 string acoustic, bolt-on neck MIJ Epiphone from the 1970s.

The only thing that would have brought something this far gone back would have been to steam the neck which is something I don't know how to do.
or a new fretboard? IMO, in cases of neck bow/hump or just abnormal neck profiles, problem is that simulated tension, or a completely straight neck by the known methods cannot match actual shape of the neck under real string tension, in which case all traditional fret levelling methods will give poor results.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
or a new fretboard? IMO, in cases of neck bow/hump or just abnormal neck profiles, problem is that simulated tension, or a completely straight neck by the known methods cannot match actual shape of the neck under real string tension, in which case all traditional fret levelling methods will give poor results.
The neck was kind of like a skateboard ramp.

If you put your finger on first and last fret, the space leftover on the 7th fret which should be the thickness of a pick was the thickness of two silver dollars.

I know a lot more about guitar these days, from forums and application, and maybe I could have saved this one. My GAS disease was so bad that no matter how good or bad a guitar was, or how much I used it in gigs and recording, it didn't last long.

I was out to own every major type of guitar out there (Ibby, Fender, Gibson, solidbody, hollowbody, steel string, classical, bolt on neck, set neck, new, vintage, single coil, humbucker, active, passive, fixed bridge, Bigsby, Fender sychronized trem, locking trem, Kahler, Wonderbar, Floyd, refinished, refretted, stock, rare originals, fakes, knockoffs, custom shop, basically everything). With just over 60 guitars, I thought I was a truly sick individual until I met a recovered GASSER (who now has three or four guitars) who had bought over 350 guitars in his years. When you have that many guitars, it's conceivable that some axes spend more than a year literally untouched.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I was out to own every major type of guitar out there (Ibby, Fender, Gibson, solidbody, hollowbody, steel string, classical, bolt on neck, set neck, new, vintage, single coil, humbucker, active, passive, fixed bridge, Bigsby, Fender sychronized trem, locking trem, Kahler, Wonderbar, Floyd, refinished, refretted, stock, rare originals, fakes, knockoffs, custom shop, basically everything). With just over 60 guitars, I thought I was a truly sick individual until I met a recovered GASSER (who now has three or four guitars) who had bought over 350 guitars in his years. When you have that many guitars, it's conceivable that some axes spend more than a year literally untouched.
I don't feel so bad about accumulating 9 guitars now! Thank you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:35 PM

I've currently got this Ibanez RGD7321 that I'm not a huge fan of. I don't think it's a problem with the guitar itself, just a problem with my taste in guitars. The neck profile just feels a bit odd to me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
With just over 60 guitars, I thought I was a truly sick individual until I met a recovered GASSER (who now has three or four guitars) who had bought over 350 guitars in his years. When you have that many guitars, it's conceivable that some axes spend more than a year literally untouched.
I have around 17 or 18 guitars right now and am feeling like I need to sell at least 1/2 of them. 350? Yeah, I'll never get there, as I barely have enough places to store the ones I have now.

But I digress from the OP. I have had one, and the neck was bad, so I swapped it out for a different neck and it's a lot better. I don't play it as much as I used to, but it stays around mostly for sentimental reasons as it was my first Ibby.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM

I've played a few with twisted necks.

My Indo JEM has a slight twist and the low E buzzes when I set it up to play good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode