EVH Woflgang vs. Wolfgang Special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

EVH Woflgang vs. Wolfgang Special

I don't know which one is more high-end. In the store in my town we have a special (with no tone knob) which plays real nice...and I kind of like the one-knob setup. So which one of these would you recommend?

The only picture of the finish I could really find was on the front page of the EVH custom shop.
http://www.peavey.com/evhcustomshop/
The one to the far left, but again, this one had the trembalo and no tone knob. And I really doubt they would be selling a custom guitar for 600 bucks.

It has come to my attention that the pics are random. So just keep refreshing until you see the wolfgang described above. That is all.

Nevermind the Bullocks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
There are several EVH Wolfgangs these days. The archtop version with tone and volume controls is the higher end version.

There are specials made in Korea and Specials made in the USA, I'm not sure of the difference inthe name though Make sure you can tell them apart before you buy
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

This is bad...this is very bad...I have no idea how to tell them apart...
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, after doing a forum search, I came across this one:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...light=wolfgang

Which kinda explains the models.

The one I was looking at didn't have the quilted top as said in the above post (for the korean model,) it just had a bunch of lines or whatever shooting across it lateraly with a teal sort of finish.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:55 PM

The main difference, is the special has a flat top, I don't think there are any contours on the top, where-as the high end Wolfgang is a carved arch top. I also don't believe the specials ever came with the drop d tuner, though I'm not sure on that. All the arch top models were US made, where the specials are typically made overseas ( I wasn't aware that there were any US made specials).

I am not sure, but I also think the specials have a photo flame top unlike the high end models.

The custom shop Wolfgangs are a different guitar all together, they are custom guitars made to order.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I can tell the specials apart from the standards - no problem.

My problem is finding out the difference between the korean specials and the US ones. And yes, the specials do come with d-tunas
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

One more thing...in that little pocket above the 22nd fret, where they cut out a little chunk of the freboard, there is a little wheel there where I think truss rod adjustments can be made. Isn't there supposed to be some EVH logo there? This is just my mental recall from past models. I think. Bah.

Nevermind the Bullocks (or my mindless ramblings),
Jeff
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:16 AM

No logo there. Your thinking about the plastic fretboard protector that ships with them youve seen on the neck .
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:56 AM

The American made specials are flat toppped and are solid color or flame maple tops(lateral striping) and have graphite rods in the neck. The only difference between the Wolf Special and Wolf Standard is that the standard has a carved top and birdseye maple for the neck and fretboard. The special uses regular maple for neck and fretboard. The Korean Wolfgang is the Special QT. It has a Quilted maple Top(QT). This one has no graphite rods in the neck. If a special has a simple finish or flamed maple top it is American made. If it has a quilted maple top it is Korean. That is the best way to tell them apart. Quilt=Korean.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Well, this one isn't quilted I know, but if you wanted a quilted top it would suck to have to get a Korean one. But whatever.

And am I correct that wheel is used for truss rod adjustments?

And how does the graphite rod compare to a standard rod in there?

Nevermind the Bullocks,
Jeff
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:55 AM

Yes the wheel is for truss rod adjustment. It was carried over from the ebmm EVH model after Ed told them where to stick it.

Graphite = stability. In the Wolfgang's I believe it is in addition to a regular trussrod.

Vigier guitars, on the other hand, use a 10% carbon graphite, 90% wood construction technique for their necks and they have no trussrods whatsoever. Such is their confidence in the properties of graphite!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:36 AM

The best way to be sure is to look at the back of the headstock. The USA-made Wolfgangs have EVH's signature 'branded' into the back of the headstock. The Korean models do not.

To calrify the misinformation: ALL trem-equipped Wolfgangs have the D-Tuna device. The Wolfgang Standard, Special, and Special Flametop are and always were made in the US. Recently, Peavey introduced the Specail QT which is made in Korea. All of the maple tops are real, although the Special QT's top is much thinner, so that about half of the natural binding is actually basswood.

My guess is you are looking at a Special QT. The price is right for that, and would be very low for a Special Flametop. But more importantly, there is no teal color available on the Special Flametop. Can't say for sure what colors the QT comes in, as Peavey seems to be too ashamed of this model to put it on their website.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM

The trems are different on the models but they dont seem to have any regularity. One of hte korean ones has a floyd that looks like a floyd rose 2 on it. And Ive seen two different types of saddles on the high end wolfies as well.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM

Quick and less drawn out answer:

Special = Lower End
Standard = Higher End

Easiest way to tell them apart at a glance: Standard has more knobs.

The end.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Got bad news and really good news...

Bad news...the thing is made in Korea...I could have sworn that they switched the models on me in the middle of the night...

Very good news...they just got a JEM7VWH from their other store (personally for me ) and I have fallen in love with it. They are only asking 1400 for it, because they've had it for like a year. The thing looked and played awesome, and people are right when they say you just have to see and hear these things in person. I played only through a Fender amp, so I wasn't really able to get the gain I was used to, but I honestly can say I achieved the best clean blues tone I have EVER heard. Neck pickup, a little delay, and I had it. The inlay's were also unbelievable. I just love this guitar inside and out. Other than an intense dead spot from the 12th fret up , the guitar is awesome and hopefully my next guitar. Hopefully. Then I will have to change my name to JEMavenger. Hopefully.

Nevermind the Bullocks,
Jeff

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , ebmm evh , flame maple , flamed maple , floyd rose , fret access , jackson soloist , neck pickup , quilted maple , rod adjustment , strat body , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments , upper fret , upper fret access , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode