EVH Wolfgang VS Wolfgang special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

EVH Wolfgang VS Wolfgang special

what is the real difference here? would it be a good choice to go with the special to save a buck? it doesnt surprise me that they made a move like that with the high price tag of the wolfgang. i dont think it was a big seller. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: EVH Wolfgang VS Wolfgang special

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski View Post
what is the real difference here? would it be a good choice to go with the special to save a buck? it doesnt surprise me that they made a move like that with the high price tag of the wolfgang. i dont think it was a big seller. thanks.

Lots actually. The real one is much better. Its comparing a 333 to a 7vwh honestly.

1) the special is made in japan.
2) quality of woods is WAY down
3) finish options down
4) cheaper hardware
5) the top is flat on the special vs the carved top of the real one
6) no binding.

There are other things.

Both suck compared to the Axis models though.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Lots actually. The real one is much better. Its comparing a 333 to a 7vwh honestly.

1) the special is made in japan.
2) quality of woods is WAY down
3) finish options down
4) cheaper hardware
5) the top is flat on the special vs the carved top of the real one
6) no binding.

There are other things.

Both suck compared to the Axis models though.

lol good to know.

Last edited by big_paul_ski; 01-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Of course, the EBMM models are superior to all. Expensive as heck these days, too. If I still played maple necks, I'd track down a light blue version of the old EBMM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Of course, the EBMM models are superior to all. Expensive as heck these days, too. If I still played maple necks, I'd track down a light blue version of the old EBMM.
thanks for the reply man
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM

The most noticeable difference is that the Special sounds a little less dynamic than the regular Wolfgang, with less midrange character. It still plays very nicely and I think comparing it to a Jem 333 is a huge and unfair exaggeration. It's more like an RG2550 compared to a J.Custom.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
The most noticeable difference is that the Special sounds a little less dynamic than the regular Wolfgang, with less midrange character. It still plays very nicely and I think comparing it to a Jem 333 is a huge and unfair exaggeration. It's more like an RG2550 compared to a J.Custom.

you're kidna right. Maybe the 555 to it. They arent even made the same way is the thng. the 555 at least is built the same way, same specs, etc. the special doesnt even have a carved top. If it did, Id be all over one.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM

Well the USA-made one is built by the Charvel Custom Shop by only three guys (See this thread: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72902) - can't really match that level of workmanship with mass production but the Special is still a quality guitar.

In terms of how similar the specs are (apart from the top, and you may remember the EBMM version had a flat top too), the Special includes a birdseye maple compound radius fretboard and the same stainless steel frets as the US version. It also has the exact same pickups, EVH-branded Floyd Rose with D-Tuna, same toggle switch and same Bourns/EVH low-friction pots. It does still have body binding (rather than a painted, simulated binding) although one ply instead of the 5-ply on the US version. The EBMM version also had single-ply binding. You might even say that the Special is closer to the EBMM version than the US-made Wolfgang in terms of design, from a certain point of view.

Last edited by Petie; 01-23-2011 at 11:57 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Well the USA-made one is built by the Charvel Custom Shop by only three guys (See this thread: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72902) - can't really match that level of workmanship with mass production but the Special is still a quality guitar.

In terms of how similar the specs are (apart from the top, and you may remember the EBMM version had a flat top too), the Special includes a birdseye maple compound radius fretboard and the same stainless steel frets as the US version. It also has the exact same pickups, EVH-branded Floyd Rose with D-Tuna, same toggle switch and same Bourns/EVH low-friction pots. It does still have body binding (rather than a painted, simulated binding) although one ply instead of the 5-ply on the US version. The EBMM version also had single-ply binding. You might even say that the Special is closer to the EBMM version than the US-made Wolfgang in terms of design, from a certain point of view.

I looked at the spec sheets and indeed they look the same, but there has to be more to it then that!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I looked at the spec sheets and indeed they look the same, but there has to be more to it then that!
Nope. The Fender guy who showed me the two guitars side by side said the whole point was to make a guitar that was as similar as possible while being as accessible as possible financially too, and that's why they've gone with all the same hardware, same wood types, same neck shape, etc. I'm sure the decision to give it a flat top instead of carved was partially driven by a consideration of 'Well, if we make the EXACT same guitar in Japan, what'd be the point of having the US version?'

As I said though, there IS a noticeable difference in tone, but they both sound similar. It's just that one of them sounds a little richer than the other.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Played both, didn't like either one really. I agree that the EBMM had better mojo somehow, even thought they are basically the same. Not knocking the Jackson builders in any way, just saying.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Nope. The Fender guy who showed me the two guitars side by side said the whole point was to make a guitar that was as similar as possible while being as accessible as possible financially too, and that's why they've gone with all the same hardware, same wood types, same neck shape, etc. I'm sure the decision to give it a flat top instead of carved was partially driven by a consideration of 'Well, if we make the EXACT same guitar in Japan, what'd be the point of having the US version?'

As I said though, there IS a noticeable difference in tone, but they both sound similar. It's just that one of them sounds a little richer than the other.

Tone is subjective, and with most people playing through stomp boxes and effects units, it seems like the Special would be the better buy!!! I guess I was misinformed thinking the Special used different materials... THAT would make more sense to me. The only real difference is the carved top then O.o
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
I'm sure the decision to give it a flat top instead of carved was partially driven by a consideration of 'Well, if we make the EXACT same guitar in Japan, what'd be the point of having the US version?'
It's likely also tradition -- the Wolf Specials that Peavey made were all flat tops as well. A carved top is more expensive to make as well.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 3

The Special's neck is only birdseye on the fretboard also. The back of the neck is just regular maple and I believe the headstock isn't angled like the US model.

All the same parts and components though.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:

Same hardware, same wood but better craftmanship in USA than Japan. It is just like Ibanez LACS compare to the other Japan's Ibanez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode