EVH Wolfie Special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

EVH Wolfie Special

Hi all,

I am considering an EVH wolfie special (ivory, with trem) for $1200 ($600-$700 US) Australian........ Is this a decent price? It will not be my main player - but a back-up .........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 06:46 AM

that sounds about average
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 08:40 PM

These guitars make good backups as they work for drop d tunings well, the trem doesnt float, so it can be hot, OR COLD, as you need with only minimal fuss, and they sound good for the buck in a pinch, all in all a good buy (why dont they make a nonfloating ibanez trem? ) lol< i know some thinks its useless, but i would play the heck out of one
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

What are people's experiences with these guitars? Does the trem stay in tune? Does it perform as good as a lo pro?

To me it seems like a good bang for the buck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:32 AM

It doesnt have the range of the lo pro because you cant pull up on the trem. But it stays in tune better (only because it doesnt float) If you dont pull up on the bar, its the best tremolo system to use, as it has minimul fuss, and the dtuner to boot
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
These guitars make good backups as they work for drop d tunings well, the trem doesnt float, so it can be hot, OR COLD, as you need with only minimal fuss, and they sound good for the buck in a pinch, all in all a good buy (why dont they make a nonfloating ibanez trem? ) lol< i know some thinks its useless, but i would play the heck out of one
you could just block it you know. thatīs what eddie does to his guitars (just because a floyd isnīt recessed doesnīt mean it isnīt floating btw)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:28 PM

I owned one of these about 2 years ago (I sold it to help pay for my RG2027 ). The trem system was great. Having played only floating bridge guitars for so many years, this one was a welcome change. No muss, no fuss. While I liked to tones and feel of the guitar, it wasn't very versatile for me. I tend to like guitars w/more options as opposed to a one-trick pony. Again, I'm not bashing it, just that it didn't have a lot of variety for me. I recommend looking for a used one to save some $$$. Deals can be found on these very easily.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 AM
dex

On any Floyd Rose licensed tremolo, if you add an extra spring and glue a little plank of wood in between the strings and the springs in the trem cavity, so the trem block is prevented from going towards the springs and hey presto, you have yourself original fender trem with better range and excelent tuning stability.

I think that is what EVH does to his tremolo guitars.
Might be wrong though.

Also Ibanez do have a very similar bridge, called SAT-10.
It's floating on 2 trem posts, but has no fine tuners and as far as I'm aware it can't be pulled back on the guitars they sell it on.
Unfortunately it is found only on cheeper range models without locking nut.

Tags
floyd rose , ibanez trem , locking nut , trem block , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode