Evolution 7s, good as vais 6 string evos? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Evolution 7s, good as vais 6 string evos?

I have a RG1527, and im happy with everything except the rather gutless stock pickups, so i was wondering, i love Mr.vais tone, i think the evos are beautiful sounding, but i notice not many peoples' customised 7 strings use the 7 string version, so do any of you know if they are just not as good or are they just too hardcore for some cheesy instrumental rock player's tone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Re: Evolution 7s, good as vais 6 string evos?

No,, the 6 evo' and 7 evo's are not the same. They are name sakes in my opinion. Remember any of Vai's work on a 7 string was done with Blaze pickups or something very close to what we now call blaze. Evo7's are like the Evo 6's in the respect that they are HI-OUTPUT. Hi out put on 7's doesn't always equal warmth. They aren't bad,, not my cup of tea if you will. Just remember the 6 and 7 string name sakes aren't going to sound the same. I think Blaze or Blaze customs would make you grin, and possibly Tone zone7.

~A
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 AM

The 1527 is Baswwod right?

I think you should go with Blazes if you like Vai's tone. That's what he uses on his Universes anyway...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:13 AM

I have an Evo7 in my UV and I think it's better than the Blaze 2 hands down.

I don't find that much difference between the Evo in my BFP and the Evo7. They DID EQ it slightly differently for the 7th string, but not that much different.

A few months ago i wrote a song to demo the Evo7. it's here if you want to hear it.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showt...7236#post347236

~Kenny
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

so in summary, a blaze seven sounds closer to an evo 6 than an evo7!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:20 PM

No, a blaze bridge sounds a lot like a Steve's special - it's an entirely differrent pickup than the Evo (and predates the evo by rather a while) that just happens to be designed for the same guy.

The Evo7's did strike me as sounding quite close to the 6's, although you have to keep in mind you're probably used to hearing them in alder, not basswood (as an aside, they own in mahogany).

If you like Vai's recent tone, a lot of that is from an evolution. His PAW tone, on the other hand, would probably be best served by a Blaze.

For me, the Blaze bridge is probably the best "standard" seven string pickup, in that as a good 90% of seven string music I've heard was recorded on a blaze in basswood, it's the sound I ususally associate with a seven. That's not to say it's the BEST seven string pickup for all applications, but just that odds are most of the seven string tones you've heard came from one, so it's the sound I associate with a seven. Food for thought.

(and kenny does get some great tones out of the Evo7, by the way )

-D
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 PM

I've always been happy with Blazes in all my sevens.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

ok, ill probably get a blaze then!! i also listened to a few 7 string vai songs and decided the tone is close enough! cheers for all the help!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm only familiar with blazes as well but I find them perfect for my tastes. Vai's PAW tone is just massive and with a good tube amp you get close with nearly any pickup be it a tonezone or pafpro. Now evo's are the ones I can't stand in the bridge, but in the neck position they are awesome. Tone is too subjective so try them out for yourself and see what does it for you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Surprisingly, I like the stock neck pickup in my S 7420 as much as I like my Blaze neck pickups in my 7620 and UV. It just sounds good. Especially playing clean. The tone is awesome. I know they are just V7 (7) and V8 (7) pickups but the neck pickup sounds great.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

aah cool. ill try and track down a 7 with blazes i can try out and compare the neckers then, might save a few bob! cheers!!

Tags
blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , string pickup , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode