Evolution7 or ToneZone7 on K7? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Evolution7 or ToneZone7 on K7?

Hi!

I'm really not happy with the bridge PAF7 on my K7...

It sounds great for playing blues, and imitating 60's Les Paul...but I am used to my Bill Lawrence L-500, and JB Duncan in other guitars..

So...I need to change the bridge pickup..

I nead something that has a lot of output but with huge amount of detail in sound (strings, body, fingernails), you know that nice bite when you play hard on a slightly overdriven amp......

in other words, I don't want a pickup that just goes bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, flat and dead like PAF7....

So what would you gentelmen recomend? Evolution or Tone ZOne?

thanks,

Flesh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:15 AM

I have the TZ7 in a mahogany-bodied RG like the K7 (RG2027) and I like it alot. But it sounds to me like the EVO7 is what you're going for.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply...

I think the word I need to desribe it is CHUNKY....

is EVO7 like that?

Alex
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:17 AM

chunky? i think the blaze would match that better than the evo
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Regular Blaze has that scooped mid tone, that I don't nead....

Maybe Blaze Custom?

Flesh
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:48 AM

did you know the paf7 is a little scooped too?
try the custom, but then dont complain you dont hear the low B clear and punchy enough
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I know it's scooped.....

thats why I dont like it....it's scooped, low output, and no micro-detail...

Flesh
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 PM

so get a TZ, it doesnt even have treble anymore... well at least
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 08:49 AM

The TZ7 is CHUNKY, I'll give it that.

Micro-detail...? I dunno there... I wouldn't say that. It's clear and defined, thanks to the mids, and very "round". Warm. Heavy! But no, it sounds more 'blended' to me.... real smooth like. Sam is right. Treble? Huh? Lol... not very much. Not like with the tone rolled off... there IS treble, it's just REAL round, the only way I can describe it. Like Eddie Van Halen sorta, meets Godsmack. I'm telling ya, the EVO7 sounds like your pickup. No scooped mids, nice treble and TIGHT detail. Lots of gain tho... which may be good or bad, depending on how you like it. This sh!t's all subjective anyway. I read that Korn WANTED the PAF7's because that they HAD so much "detail," due to the lowered gain and slight scoop etc. and you don't like'em because they DON'T do that. So, try the ones you're looking at and see. My vote would be EVO7, tho.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Wordwolf,

Well, PAF7 is very clear, but too low output makes it sound flat, kind of far away from the strings if you know what I mean...good for slaming not so good for chugging and palm muting...which Head doesn't do much anyways..

Yes it does sound like EVO7 is what I'm after.....Lawrence 500XL would be great, but there is no 7 string....

What about Duncans? I love my JB in LP custom, but how would it be on a 7 string?

Wordwolf, you have some extreme low tunings right? Which bridge pup do you have?

Alex
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:42 AM

just wanted to say that if you like a given 6string pickup, you might not like it's seven string version. They are always a little different, and moreover, the low B is a completely different thing for a pickup to handle.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I know.....thats why I'm asking.....
otherwise I would allready get a SD JB.....

Alex
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:52 PM

Um, this basically goes without saying, but you've tried simply raising the pickups, right?

I happened to love the Evo7 in mahogany- you'll probably dislike the TZ for the same reasons I did, namely that it made my 2027 sound like a Les Paul, and that wasn't the sound I was after. The Evo, on the other hand, just SCREAMED- one of the best lead sounds I've ever heard.

So why'd I sell it? because one of the better lead sounds I've ever heard came from the TZ in the basswood body of my 7620. It took me a good 6 months of not playing the 7620 to get bored, pick it up one day, and realize that all the little things i disliked about the 2027's tone came from the body wood. Go figure.

Anyway, the Evo isn't super-detailed- WAY too much output for that- but it's thick, heavy, and will probably get you ballpark to what you're looking.

The other pickup to check out- the lundgren meshuggah pickup. pricey as hell, but it gives you the tone and power of a set of emg's with the conveniance of passives, and a touch more crispness and clarity. heaviest sounding 7-satring pickup I've ever heard, far and away.

-D
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:53 PM

Re: Evolution7 or ToneZone7 on K7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshstue
I nead something that has a lot of output but with huge amount of detail in sound (strings, body, fingernails), you know that nice bite when you play hard on a slightly overdriven amp......
You know, on rereading, maybe you're having the problem I had- mahogany isn't really a detailed, "biting" tonewood. Do you have any other mahogany guitars that give you this tone?

-D
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 PM

note biting enough ok...
but not detailed? O______O
guess we have really different visions of guitar sounds

Tags
basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge pup , eddie van halen , les paul , mahogany guitars , mike mushok , palm muting , scooped mids , string bass , string pickup , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode