Evolutions or stock pickups for '89 RG550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Evolutions or stock pickups for '89 RG550

I picked up an 1989 RG 550Dy & the plan was to swap the pickups for a set of Evolutions. I have another RG(200 with Rosewood fingerboard with a set of SD & SD2's so I figured I'd change the pickups to have something that would sound different, plus add some color(black pickups are so boring). But I was blown away with the tone. Sound nothing like my other RG. I've changed necks on guitars & noticed a difference but not this pronounced. So now I'm strongly leaning towards keeping it as is.

But would appreciate some thoughts from anyone who's played a older RG with the stock pickups & Evo's? What difference would I get? Played Evo's on a Jem 70v & liked them but expect some difference with a better quality wood and Maple neck instead of Rosewood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Re: Evolutions or stock pickups for '89 RG550

I suppose that the answer really depends on what type of music you play, and what your setup is. Also, consider this: I have had situations where I have had duplicate copies of the same guitar, put the same model of pickup in both, and yet both sounded different to some extent. Evos, from my experience, tend to lend to a more mid-rangey sound, and I'd expect even more brightness with Evos in a guitar with a maple fret board. If you play metal or music with lots of hard rhythms and/or palm muting, then fuggedaboutit, don't go with the Evos - but if you are looking to brighten up a dark-sounding guitar/amp/speaker setup and want the articulation you'd normally expect from a pickup meant for soloing as its primary function, then I'd recommend the Evos in a heartbeat.

On another note, I have owned several Ibanez guitars where the stock pickups were better sounding than the Evos. In reality, I have never owned an Ibanez that I liked the Evos in. My Evos go in my custom builds. My Ibanez guitars tend to stay stock.

My .02...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM

I like the Evos in mine; not as much as I liked them in the 7VWH though. But they are still in there
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Is it the V1 neck and V2 bridge or V7 neck and V8 bridge? The V2 IMO is a great pickup. I regret taking it out of my RG550. It's got Evo's now which sound great but the V2 was different and sounded nice IMO.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 PM

V1/V2 pups vs Evos. Very tonally different pups but I've used Evos in a basswood body so I'll put my 2 cents in:

I thought Evos in a basswood body were a bit shrill. They are screamers Basswood, even though people say it's a mid-focused tone wood, didn't really soften the blow of those pups. I moved those pups to my RGR580, with a mahogany body, and now they sound GREAT.

I have an RG5000 with the V1/V2 pups and while I think the output is a bit low for what I like, tonally they are AMAZING. Very thick and rich, which is what I like out of my pickups.

I like both pups, but I prefer Evos in a mahogany body and I really like the V1/V2 pups. No need to change them out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Reviews: 6

gravity storms work well in my 570's...d.m.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:09 AM

Reviews: 21
Sometimes I wonder if I'm as addicted to guitar pickups as I am to the guitars themselves. I'm always thinking "wouldn't it be cool to have pickup X in guitar Y?" If Larry and Seymour and others would make quick connect pickups they'd probably sell lots more. At least to me anyway.

Tags
ibanez rg evolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode