evo's in rg3120F completed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
evo's in rg3120F completed

I finally had the evolutions wired into my RG3120F ANT last night by my bass player who is an electrical engineer/computer techie. Anyway, any concerns about the evo's not sounding right in a mahogany/maple top guitar are out the window. These things just sing in this guitar, and I love it. Now I'm strongly considering putting an evo in the bridge of my 77Vbk to replace the breed pickup and make it more like my 7Vwh. I'm not so much into the breed.........sounds a bit sterile to me. Even though the PAF pro in my PGM is lower output, I still love its harmonic structure and the way it responds, and I truly dig the the tone zones I swapped into my 1420's as well. The breed,,,,,,just doesn't do anything for me in the bridge position. I guess I'm basing this on how these other pickups, when doing a lead, just seem to bleed with overtones and sustain - makes my hair stand on end. The breed doesn't seem to bleed like that, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to adjust its height , etc........I guess I never really tampered with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: evo's in rg3120F completed

Adjust the height. The Breeds are awesome in both positions. Just great sounding pickups. I find them a bit more versatile than the Evos, and actually like them better.
One bit of advice--try not to put the same pickups in all of your guitars. That's what'll give you variety and you'll find yourself playing your other guitars more frequently--depending on the mood.
Once I find pickups I really like, it's hard not to put them in all guitars.
If you have different guitars with different woods and hardware, then that's different. One of my favorite combos is a Super Distortion bridge/PAF Pro neck and I wanted them in several guitars. But, I didn't want a bunch of RG550s and 570s all sounding the same. So, I just put that combo in a 550, a 570, my Destroyer DT420 and Iceman.
That way, I've got the combo in different guitars with different characteristics. And believe me--those babies really scream in the Destroyer!
It's also hard not to put a Tone Zone and Air Norton in several of my other guitars, so I limited that combo to one 570 and my 540P.
When I got a Dominion to review--I wanted that in more than one guitar. Right now, it's proudly riding high in my RG760.
I'm at the point now that I just want as many different combos as possible in all of my Ibbies.
Once I can get back to doing some work, I'm throwing an AT-1 and Fred in my S540LTD.

Bottom line--just try to leave options open for pickup choices, regardless of the temptation.

Another possibility, and I justified having the same combo in a few RGs because if this--wire them up with different switching options. I put another Super D and AN in my RG570CTAM, but added an active tone control (Artec Tone Expander) and also a push/pull volume pot to tap the Super D.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Adjust the height. The Breeds are awesome in both positions. Just great sounding pickups. I find them a bit more versatile than the Evos, and actually like them better.
One bit of advice--try not to put the same pickups in all of your guitars. That's what'll give you variety and you'll find yourself playing your other guitars more frequently--depending on the mood. Once I find pickups I really like, it's hard not to put them in all guitars.
Agreed - especially when in the studio - variety can be important. Although, if you have a few guitars and you are playing on stage a copy of your main guitar is useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Another possibility, and I justified having the same combo in a few RGs because if this--wire them up with different switching options. I put another Super D and AN in my RG570CTAM, but added an active tone control (Artec Tone Expander) and also a push/pull volume pot to tap the Super D.
Smart move.

-Wolfram
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Yeah,,,I moved the breed bridge pickup closer to the strings (it was sitting rather low), and it seems to be more "alive " now. I agree on the variety. However, I really wasn't going to be happy with the IBZ pickups in this 3120, and so swapping them for some Evo's has made a tremendous difference. I'm really happy with it. Between all of my guitars now, I really do have quite a variety of pickups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode