EX370 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
EX370

Hi,

First post for me!! up untill last year I haven't kept up with guitars like I used to what with uni and work etc but anyway i now love to play again, so anyway now that I'm back into them I've noticed that the EX range never gets a mention anywhere anymore.

The EX370 was my first Ibanez back in 1993, basically it's very similar to the RG370. Which brings me to my point, why did they ever make the EX370 when the RG series has been around since 1987?? And as far as costs go it matches the price bracket that of the current RG370 and RG350 (i.e. it cost 300 back then) And when did the EX range stop?

It still plays well besides a dicky cutting out problem when hooked up to the amp, probably a loose wire inside the guitar as it cuts out if I knock the volume knob or knock the cable, so you have to play very still

Besides that it's in good condition, if anyone is interested I could take some pics sometime. But yeah I wouldn't get rid of it for anything (probably)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 PM

Re: EX370

there was concern the putting the RG name on lower-end korean guitars might hurt the reputation of both the RG and Ibanez. So the new Korean models, even though the EX had RG styling and features, for the name "EX" short for "Experimenal".

I once had th highest EX model, EX3700 and it was freaking awesome. I regret leting that one go.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Ah so thats what the EX stood for, lol 14 years later and I find out what it means. Strange then that a cheaper version would be the same price, I remember seeing it in a couple of other music shops selling for over £400. I'm sure shops just make up prices!!

A few weeks ago I even saw an RG370 on sale for about £400 in a well named UK music shop, I can find it on the net for £220 brand new!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 PM

I had an EX360 as my first "real" guitar and it was the biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. The plate holding the input jack in fell out, I brought it back to the store 4-5 times for issues with the trem breaking, the strap button fell out of the front horn, and the neck pickup stopped working all within a year, and I bought the thing brand new. To make matters worse I was an uninformed kid and I spent double list price on it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Ah man that's bad luck, I remember the EX360 too, a friend of mine had one, he never had any trouble with his. If i remember right the only difference was it had two single pick ups and a double at the bridge end, where as the EX370 was same set up as the RG370 is now.

The only problem I've got with mine is the cutting out problem which started to happen 4 years after I got it, it's probably simple to fix, maybe one day I'll get it done.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM

Well, mine was just as good as a Japanese one.

I actually like the Lo-Trs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I liked it too, it was useless for the 'flutter' sound Steve Vai does but it was nice and low and didn't get in the way, I remember back then Floyd Roses were huge sticking out things.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 AM

I have am EX370. Got from E b a y cheap, loaded with EMG pickups. Really nice guitar to play and sounds huge. I love it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

yeah its nice, has a great shape to it too, and the neck is ultra thin and has a fast action to it.

How much did you pay for yours on e b a y?

Last edited by richard1973; 03-24-2007 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Less than the cost of the pickups. About $300 aussie.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

I still have mine. A 1991 model ex-370, i think. IN no way in its original condition however. Took it apart some while back and refinished it. Made a slight change to the shape of the head by taking the notch out of the very end. Basically sanded it flat more like a Jackson and added a beveled edge around the perimeter. Kind of has a bound edge look to it now. Needs the frets replaced and some TLC. Am working on that right now. Bought this guitar brand new around 92 or so. My first and only "good" guitar. Played the crap out of it. When I took it apart to refinish it, I lost me wiring diagram and it was out of comission for a while. Had a tech rewire it and it works butI would like to completely rewire it. Can not find a wiring diagram for it however. Looking to either get this one renewed and/or purchase a used RG of some type.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 AM

I`ve got one of those EX models,its my FAV,so much so I have worn out the knife edge on the floyd and wore the frets almost flat.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

hey good to see the old EX thread dug up from the graveyard
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM

my first "real" ibanez was an EX160 that i sunk WAYYY too much money into. owned it for almost 10 years. i acquired many guitar throughout that time and realized that i hated playing that guitar after becoming used to japanese RGs. i had put a fred in it, american strat singles, and a FRO as well. luckily i was able to sell it at a shop and they thought it was an rg560, so i got close to my money back, but in no way was that guitar just astounding. from a noob point of view, it was cool to own a pointy ibanez, but the low end ex160 wasn't a great choice. now the 300 series got way better, but after becoming so used to the RG shape, the ex just looks a bit off. the EX*50 models were even moreso with the funky upper horn pickguard.

i will also say that the ex160 spoiled me on the strat styled controls so much that if a guitar has controls that deviate too much from the EX, RG, and strat positions and placement...even down to the switch angle; i find them difficult to play/use. jackson's and les paul's really trip me up. i can't use them live, just for recording, same with my PRS.

rich
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I still have my EX3700, -HSH, book matched flamed teal with binding around the edges, 22 jumbo frets, 1 piece American rock maple neck with edge binding, a flaking gold Lo-TRS/hardware(still in functional condition and modified for matching fretboard radius) and those god awful XH/XS pickups which were recently replaced with INFs from my S320WK. The neck pickup had to be realigned so the top coil lands exactly under the would-be 24th fret and the strings matching the pole pieces of the coils, added solo and par/single/series switches, etc.. This guitar now spends most of its time out of the case on stand-by.

Those were good times when those midline imports played like top shelf stuff. That same year(1991) I bought a Charvel(essentially MIJ Jackson) Model 375+ Deluxe HSS for nearly $300!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
Yeah I liked it too, it was useless for the 'flutter' sound Steve Vai does but it was nice and low and didn't get in the way, I remember back then Floyd Roses were huge sticking out things.
That's strange. I thought LO-TRS were the best at fluttering of all trems. My Lo-TRS has a VERY strong flutter. The springs aren't original though. I usually give it a good whack or flicking downwards on the tip when I feel like fluttering.

Tags
floyd rose , korean guitar , neck pickup , steve vai , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

compare ibanez rg370 ex370

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode