Examples of your Ibanez RG with Roland GK pickup ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Examples of your Ibanez RG with Roland GK pickup ?

Hi, is there anyone here having mounted an GK 3 hexaphonic pickup (Roland) on a RG with pickguard ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Re: Examples of your Ibanez RG with Roland GK pickup ?

Here's mine, but no pickguard. Would be easier with pickguard. I didn't install the mix switch, S1/S2 switch, or synth volume. I have my GR 55 patches set up to control those, so they were redundant, and I didn't want any routing that wasn't necessary.

What guitar are you doing the install on?

My suggestions; place the pickup as close as possible to bridge without rubbing. Floyd style bridges are tough for GK install as the saddle points are recessed. The optimal distance should be no more than 20mm, but a few of my saddles are at 23mm, but I haven't had an issue. Also be very careful and take your time with the routing for the 13 pin output jack. It has caused me more problems than ny other aspect of the install. Btw,.. I did away with the 1/4 inch jack, and used that cavity for the 13 pin output jack, just enlarging it enough for the new connector.

Last edited by merman_93; 04-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Nice, so you bought a GK kit ? I need to install it on a RG 3250 MZ, it has a pickguard.
And how did you fix the guitar jack input ? Did you keep it or not ?

Thanks for your answer.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Great topic! I'm about to mount one on a 550. I've found that there's more space on a pickguarded guitar than without. If I were to install in on a 570, I'd have to cut part of the pickup ring.
That GK3 on the Premium above makes me think I may chose to put my Roland on my Premium too, or at least one of my direct mount RGs.
Just for the sake of helping the OP--I'll install it on the 550 first, and report back with results. It'll be a bit though, as I've got to recover more before any more projects.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll buy a new pickguard and cut it to fit it to the GK pickup. If one day I sell the guitar, I just put the original pickguard back on it without any problem...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Yes, this is the GK Kit GT 3. The 13 pin output jack was the toughest part. I used the cavity where the normal 1/4 jack is connected, a small cavity accessed from the back by a 2.5 x 2.5 cover. I removed the 1/4 jack, and enlarged the hole to fit the 13 pin jack. It took a few hours with a dremel tool and a hand file. I also had to enlarge the small hole where the pickup wiring passes so that the hex pickup connector would fit through.

As for your plans, an extra pickguard to experiment with is a good idea. You may only need to cut a small hole for the connector to slide through, as the pickup mounts to the top with screws and springs. I did have to cut out a pickguard for the whole pickup on an install to a Strat because of the string height , but the. Edge type bridge saddles are a bit higher.
Sorry I don't have better pics. I'll try and upload a few next weekend.

My best advice is if you don't feel comfortable routing, don't do it. I was extremely impressed with quality and sound of the Premium, and the price was very good. I have many Prestige models but I was way too afraid to try it on them.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM

I've been looking into midi for a long time.

I'm sad to say, the GK-3 seems like its just not the option for me. I'll be buying a Piezo Bridge for any MIDI setup I go to in future. Without question.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Btw, Alaskabat, your YouTube review of the premium 920 really sold me on the model. I own quite a few Prestige models and love them, but had been very dissapointed with an S Model Prestige made in Korea, and decided therafter to only by made in Japan. But I saw your video, and ordered one that day. Now I have two, and am going to order the new Premium fixed bridge as soon as my retailer adds it to their inventory.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I've been looking into midi for a long time.

I'm sad to say, the GK-3 seems like its just not the option for me. I'll be buying a Piezo Bridge for any MIDI setup I go to in future. Without question.
I have both types in my collection, in fact, I have both models that Ibanez sold with factory 13 pin output, from 2002 the RG 420gk with gk 2a pickup, and from 2005 the RG 1520gk with piezo's in n edge pro trem.

For Midi, using my GI 20 the piezo equipped RG is slightly better, but, with my GR-55 the rg 420, and all of my gk 3 type guitars, are way better. Same with VG 99, and VG 88's. Roland voiced the modeled tones using gk3's so they sound so much better. If you decide to go with Piezo's, I highly recommend the RMC upgrade to the GR55, or vg 99. It's under $200, and effectively levels the field for piezo equipped guitars.

When recording at home, the Piezos are good, but they can be troublesome when taken on long road tours. The gk3 are road ready, and you can spend a lot having a shop replace a piezo at the last minute. But they all have their uses, and it comes down to which sounds better to you.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
I have both types in my collection, in fact, I have both models that Ibanez sold with factory 13 pin output, from 2002 the RG 420gk with gk 2a pickup, and from 2005 the RG 1520gk with piezo's in n edge pro trem.

For Midi, using my GI 20 the piezo equipped RG is slightly better, but, with my GR-55 the rg 420, and all of my gk 3 type guitars, are way better. Same with VG 99, and VG 88's. Roland voiced the modeled tones using gk3's so they sound so much better. If you decide to go with Piezo's, I highly recommend the RMC upgrade to the GR55, or vg 99. It's under $200, and effectively levels the field for piezo equipped guitars.

When recording at home, the Piezos are good, but they can be troublesome when taken on long road tours. The gk3 are road ready, and you can spend a lot having a shop replace a piezo at the last minute. But they all have their uses, and it comes down to which sounds better to you.
Well, I'm less interested in the modelled guitar tones and far more interested in using the guitar to do Sequencing, so as long as the tracking is good, thats fine by me, and I've been told by numerous people that the piezo tracking is far superior.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I've had a Godin Freeway piezzos equiped and it was really bad for the synth sounds tracking. The GK3's really better and faster but I also believe it's not only a question of pickups... The guitar has a lead role too and each guitar reacts differently depending on the type, the woods, the type of bridge, etc.... 'd really like to have a possibility to play on those two Ibanez models...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM

I agree with you,... I think you have to feel comfortable with your guitar for it be actually usable. There are a few J Custom models that I have been looking to buy for years, but I probably would never take it out to gigs, and would be so worried about it, that I wouldn't be comfortable.

Look at the frankenstein van halen guitar,.. it was cut up, had pieces of a pickguard, a quarter with hole drilled into it etc, but then look at the songs recorded with it, classics.

There are peeps who swear by Les Paul's, and ones who swear by Strats. Peeps who swear by set neck, ones who choose bolt on.

Piezo's or GK's ? Whatever you feel comfortable with.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

You're absolutely right but, except the choice of the guitar itself for your own pleasure, there are models that react better to the GK mount than other ones. For my personal case, the best results are obtained using a Music Man Luke... Don't ask me why, but it's probably because it's a custom built guitar and very simple on its own, I must definitively try the GK on my RG that I like so much to play on...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Here's how I have the pc board installed in the cavity of my RG 920, and the cavity where I replaced the 1/4 inch jack with the 13 pin output connector.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Well, I'm less interested in the modelled guitar tones and far more interested in using the guitar to do Sequencing, so as long as the tracking is good, thats fine by me, and I've been told by numerous people that the piezo tracking is far superior.
If you will be using soft synths etc and primarily recording midi data for sequencing, you may want to hold onto your cash for a few months.

3rd quarter 2012, Fishman is releasing the Triple Play, ( designed by same engineer who designed the Axon/ Yamaha system). The initial release will be a hex mount that is wireless, including a foot controller, using Bluetooth to send info to a USB dongle that can access Logic, etc.( no actual physical midi ports). The plans are to eventually release a piezo bridge, (Fishman has a lot of experience with Piezo's), and a dedicated unit with physical midi connections.

The demo at NAMM is impressive.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_nKhlmJ4EeI

Tags
roland gk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode