Experts/HELP needed: ICX120 w/ sentimental value needs fixing... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Experts/HELP needed: ICX120 w/ sentimental value needs fixing...

How's it going? I'm Puppers, a law school student who has owned an Ibanez since I was a little kid. My first guitar was an ICX120, which I still own. Unfortunately, it's in *real* imperfect condition, and I need help. Anyone that's ever upgraded one of these or a DTX120, please jump in and save my favorite guitar!

1) I was thinking of replacing the bridge with a tonepros (or similar - anything better than the current, low-quality fulltune III and diecast tailpiece). Do you know what the specs of the bridge are? I found the part number, but it didn't do any help in telling me if there's a special size post or drilling necessary.
2) The neck on my ICX120 is dented, scratched, and otherwise imperfect (as well as having a dented fret). I would love to get an aftermarket neck, maybe something like roasted maple with a birdseye maple or african blackwood fretboard. Unfortunately, I can't find specs on the neck, either! It's 22 frets, but I don't think it's a wizard III or anything like that. I can find the part number if needed, but I was wondering how I might find an AANJ replacement that'll fit?
3) What sort of replacement tuners will work on my guitar?
4) Lastly, what sort of cheap upgrades could I do to improve my guitar's playability?

This was my first guitar, I love it more than anything, and I want to make sure it's my "forever guitar". Thank you SO MUCH for your input and help, if you're able to provide it.
Best regards,
Puppers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Experts/HELP needed: ICX120 w/ sentimental value needs fixing...

I'm not sure on the bridge or tuners but for the neck your best bet would probably be to buy another ICX120 in better condition and swap necks. Please don't take offense but I'm not sure you're going to find many options on what's generally considered an entry-level guitar. Roasted maple is a fairly new things so I'm not sure you'll find that. Just make sure your neck aligns properly if you do the swap.
A pickup change is a surefire way to provide a great upgrade.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Re: Experts/HELP needed: ICX120 w/ sentimental value needs fixing...

If the guitar has sentimental value to you then don't bother upgrading too much on it, because when you are done you wont actually have that same guitar anymore and later on you'll regret that you've essentially thrown the bulk of it away.
jemsite likes this.

Tags
2003 , dtx120 , icx120 , parts , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode